Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
I need a new battery in my 2012 gt500. Any recommendations?
For my collector Cobras, I get a Motorcraft battery so it looks “correct” when the engine bay is being displayed at a car show. For the GT500, I got an “any-ole battery” at my local O’Reillys. It is covered by a painted battery cover. It starts my car and works as needed.

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
5,696 Posts
Believe it or not but the Ford dealer had the best price here for batteries, and not a problem trying to find one that fit !

I could or would also go to most anywhere for a battery as mine has a cover over it. Try your nearest Ford dealer after checking on other prices, you might just be surprised.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I’ll take the advice and go back with an oem or oem sized replacement. I considered the optima but didn’t want to modify things just to fit it and I think a flooded battery is fine especially since the alternators are rumored to not charge AGM batteries consistently. I’ll grab one tomorrow. Glad the battery died peacefully in the garage while I was sleeping and not while I was loading a tune or away from the house. Take Care,
John

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
Glad the battery died peacefully in the garage while I was sleeping and not while I was loading a tune or away from the house. Take Care,
John
For this very reason, always use a battery charger while loading a tune. A dead battery can cause a corrupted ECU and a tow to the dealer for a new computer... a costly mistake.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,319 Posts
I just replaced my batter and it was almost 8 years old. It was definitely not charging as well as it should, but never failed to turn the engine over. And that was chore because of some mods that resulting in a lot of tune changes. I saw no reason to try something else. I had very good success with my last Motorcraft battery too.

I tune my own car and I have literally flashed my PCM hundreds of times. I even flashed it with the weak battery and never did so with a charger on it. I did get a message on one reflash that indicated the battery voltage was too low and it aborted the download. I needed to charge the battery that time. But Tim is right, if the car died or the cable to the OBD report came unplugged, it could corrupt the ECM. However, on one particular update, I kept having tune downloads stop in the middle of a download in my 2015 F-150 and returning it to stock fixed the issue. I thought for sure I was screwed up to that point. It happened a couple more times after that. I finally updated the flash tool's firmware and it never happened again. I even accidentally turned off my key before a tune was finished downloading in my Shelby and a return to stock resulted in an uncorrupted PCM. I wouldn't suggest doing that, but I think these newer processors are heartier than their predecessors.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,433 Posts
Thanks. I’ll take the advice and go back with an oem or oem sized replacement. I considered the optima but didn’t want to modify things just to fit it and I think a flooded battery is fine especially since the alternators are rumored to not charge AGM batteries consistently. I’ll grab one tomorrow. Glad the battery died peacefully in the garage while I was sleeping and not while I was loading a tune or away from the house. Take Care,
John
Yes, a violent death of a battery makes for an ugly crime scene clean-up! ?

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Motorcraft, cant beat that 100 month warranty. I needed a new one recently in my 07 gt500 went with the motorcraft over everything else.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,751 Posts
I've had the Optima Red Top for 6+ years with no issues, but I did it mainly for looks and it's mounted to a custom tray...can't complain, but I do use a battery tender.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My original factory Motorcraft battery finally quit, luckily between drives in my garage. Replaced it with a standard flooded 36-month Champion sourced from Pep Boys for $139.78 OTD with a MAY20 freshness date. Clarios (aka Johnson Controls Power Solutions prior to May 2019) is the manufacturer of the Champion and I believe also supplies the Motorcraft as well. Now all my starts have a 'There's a Champion in Here' vibe.🏁🏁🏁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts