Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F1s are bald after two weeks of stage 2! So I have no way to hook up the extra HP. I know the 305/40/18s are not made for our 9.5 rims, but I ordered them hoping to get some use out of them this summer. Does anyone have any problems with them on our stock size rims? What tire pressure are you running in summer? The Discount Tire store will not give me the tire protection, due to wrong tire/whell combo!

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
My F1s are bald after two weeks of stage 2! So I have no way to hook up the extra HP. I know the 305/40/18s are not made for our 9.5 rims, but I ordered them hoping to get some use out of them this summer. Does anyone have any problems with them on our stock size rims? What tire pressure are you running in summer? The Discount Tire store will not give me the tire protection, due to wrong tire/whell combo!
Nitto DRs suck.

That said, if you fill the to specified (35psi) they will bow on a 9.5" wheel and you'll wear down the center of the tread quickly. If you fill them lower than recommended they'll be squirrely.

Widen your wheels by an inch.

bj

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nitto DRs suck.

That said, if you fill the to specified (35psi) they will bow on a 9.5" wheel and you'll wear down the center of the tread quickly. If you fill them lower than recommended they'll be squirrely.

Widen your wheels by an inch.

bj
VNMOUS1, have you tried these tires? I have heard nothing but good reviews, not the best, but a good rear replacement tire for street/track.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If there is anyone on here who has tried them all, it would be VNMOUS1. When he says they suck, I think he means from a traction-standpoint compared to the M&H and BFG DRs.

I would agree that if you are trying for max 60' times at the track with a DR, the Nitto is not the first choice. It would be 3rd out of those 3.

However, I run them on 3 vehicles I own (460rwhp/540rwtq Lightning, 600+rwhp/590rwtq Z06, and my GT500...see sig below). I do _not_ frequent the dragstrip, nor do I do a ton of standing start launches on the street. So for me, personally, I do not need the max grip from a dig like many racers do. The one thing the Nittos have going for them over the other two is far less handling compromises. I ran BFG DRs on my Z06 and made _sure_ I burned them up in 900 miles b/c they were absolutely horrible going around corners, or even making abrupt lane changes. For me, the worst tire I have ever put on a car I owned, but to be fair, they hooked great.

The 305/40 is perfect (assuming you are ok with the above compromises in traction from a standing start) on the GT500, and this is what I have. It is very close to the same height as the stock tire (a tad taller, of course), and they hook significantly better than the stock tires. I have no problem getting traction from 2nd gear on up at over 575rwhp. 1st is more useable now, in that at least I'm accelerating through the spin vs. just sitting and smoking the tires. But they are not going to net you a super 60' time at the track compared to the others.

Can't help you on the stock width wheel. I have aftermarket wheels and my rears are 10.5" wide, as VNMOUS1 suggests getting.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not looking to best a 60' time, just want something for the street to use until I replace all 4. The fronts are still 75%.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am running the Nittos DRs 305/40/18 on my 18x9.5 rims. They dead hook from a 40punch WITH my nitrous. I have them set at 25psi and they seem to be wearing evenly.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am running the Nittos DRs 305/40/18 on my 18x9.5 rims. They dead hook from a 40punch WITH my nitrous. I have them set at 25psi and they seem to be wearing evenly.
Just put them on yesterday, no more spinning tires. Good hook ups. Have them at 28psi for now. Meaty tires so the rear sits up just a tad more than stock. Only noticable to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
VNMOUS1, have you tried these tires? I have heard nothing but good reviews, not the best, but a good rear replacement tire for street/track.
Seriously I have had them on all of my cars including my 485rwhp 04 cobra and loved them.......You will love them too a huge difference on the street and track.....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just put them on yesterday, no more spinning tires. Good hook ups. Have them at 28psi for now. Meaty tires so the rear sits up just a tad more than stock. Only noticable to me.
Sweet... glad you like them!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can you post some pics of how they look. I'm curious about the fitment and how the taller tire looks.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here's two of my car with these tires. Fronts are 275/40-18.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
If there is anyone on here who has tried them all, it would be VNMOUS1. When he says they suck, I think he means from a traction-standpoint compared to the M&H and BFG DRs.

I would agree that if you are trying for max 60' times at the track with a DR, the Nitto is not the first choice. It would be 3rd out of those 3.

However, I run them on 3 vehicles I own (460rwhp/540rwtq Lightning, 600+rwhp/590rwtq Z06, and my GT500...see sig below). I do _not_ frequent the dragstrip, nor do I do a ton of standing start launches on the street. So for me, personally, I do not need the max grip from a dig like many racers do. The one thing the Nittos have going for them over the other two is far less handling compromises. I ran BFG DRs on my Z06 and made _sure_ I burned them up in 900 miles b/c they were absolutely horrible going around corners, or even making abrupt lane changes. For me, the worst tire I have ever put on a car I owned, but to be fair, they hooked great.

The 305/40 is perfect (assuming you are ok with the above compromises in traction from a standing start) on the GT500, and this is what I have. It is very close to the same height as the stock tire (a tad taller, of course), and they hook significantly better than the stock tires. I have no problem getting traction from 2nd gear on up at over 575rwhp. 1st is more useable now, in that at least I'm accelerating through the spin vs. just sitting and smoking the tires. But they are not going to net you a super 60' time at the track compared to the others.

Can't help you on the stock width wheel. I have aftermarket wheels and my rears are 10.5" wide, as VNMOUS1 suggests getting.
For driving around town and trying to hook better as you're leaving the local A&W, they're fine. My comments were regarding racing them. And yes, I've tried them. M/T is the best choice for track use. BFG's run a distant second (and they're what I have on right now because I don't like M/T for street use. Too soft, no miles.) Third would be Nittos...for track use.

bj

1 - 12 of 12 Posts