Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys, this forum has been a great resource so far for my problems with my car but I've run into a bit of a dead end.

A little over a year ago my car start venting coolant and overheating on a regular basis. It took almost 6 months to get the problem resolved, which was fixed by doing nothing. The problem was a stuck valve in the coolant system and when they flushed the system it fixed the problem, supposedly. Haven’t had it reoccur yet, but my car isn't a daily driver and it's spent the better part of the last year in the shop.

So during this whole cycle of in and out at the dealership for the coolant problem, my steering fluid started to vent every now and again. There was never any consistent cause, time or conditions to it. Sometimes it would do it on long road trips (50+ miles) or sometimes it would do it when I drove to the movies. It was however accompanied by a very loud whine in the steering system. It's the sound it normally makes when you turn your wheel while stationary (I’m assuming it's just the pump working) only 10x louder and very, very screechy and just "bad" sounding. So I took it in to them they looked at it and totally flushed the system. "Problem fixed" according to them. This was right at the end of the driving season last year out here in Montana, November. So my car sat in storage all winter only being warmed up and driven around the neighborhood once a month till April’ish. Once I had it out and running again the problem persisted with the noise. The steering fluid never vented again, but after 15 min of driving the noise would start in the engine compartment any time I put any stress on the steering system. Took 2 trips and me taking the tech out and showing him the problem (they never could reproduce it) for them to finally decide to do a diagnostic on the car, the only problem was they didn't have the adapter on my car. They told me 3 weeks before it would show up. This is mid July BTW. So they gave me my car back, said it was still drivable and that they would call when the part showed up.

Well now that I have my car back and I'm driving it I start to drive it I notice a new problem. My tranny doesn’t like reverse. Whenever I tried to back my car up I would have a hard time getting it into reverse. It would go over, and slide part way in, enough that if I wasn't paying attention I would think it was in gear, but when I let out on the clutch it would either kick the shifter back into Neutral, or grind the gears and kick it out. Big problem. So I took it in and it was a 3 week wait for their tranny tech to get to look at it because they were having personal problems and only had one tranny guy. I didn't care that much cause thats when the adapter was suppose to come in anywase. Well 3 weeks go by and open the tranny up and ONLY look at reverse gear, despite me telling them about the multiple Clutch problems and other issues with the trannies. I even brought in the TSB's and posts on here about it. I'm assuming they just threw them in the trash. The syncro for reverse was completely stripped out and it was a "problem from the factory". So they replaced it and gave me my car back while telling me it was going to be a few months before the adapter showed up because it was back ordered. Big suprise right? After calling them once a week for 3 months they finally borrowed the adapter from another dealership and said bring my car in.

Well last week I had my car out because it was an unusually nice day. It drives way different since they did the work on the tranny, just way more tight and responsive, but when I went to back out of the parking lot it did it again. Full grind and everything. So I drove strait to the dealership and dropped my car off to have them run the diagnostics on the steering system and look at the tranny again.

I just got off the phone with them and they told me, of course, that they couldn't reproduce the tranny issue, and they ordered a new pump. Apparently when my steering fluid was venting almost a year ago it damaged my steering system and they couldn't figure out if it was the rack and pinion, or steering pump. Magically they decided the steering pump was the culprit (I’m assuming cause the part is cheaper, and there is less man hours involved in replacing it than the R & P system) and ordered it. Should be in next week.

So now that the story is out here is my dilemma. The way I see it is there is still and underlying isue with the tranny and the steering system and they are simply fixing affects of the problem, not the cause. It's like having a flat tire and just pumping air into it every gas station you come to, instead of fixing the tire. Do any of you know any rules on the lemon laws or anywhere I can go from here. I have a great relationship with the maintenance department and they have been very helpful with everything. They are bound by rules when it comes to warranty repair and that’s were the problem is. I'm stuck with this and don't know what to do. I don't wanna spend the next 3 driving seasons with my car constantly in the shop and having to worry about it breaking down on me somewhere. My car has probably spent about 8 months of the 2 years I've owned it in the dealership and I'm tired of it.

Were do I go from here? I appreciate anyone who can bare to read the whole post and provide any advice. I'm gonna go get a beer now.

-Tyler

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Wow! Now that's a mouth full. Where have you been with all these issues since a member November 06. Did you not learn anything from this site? I would start with a new dealership. Basics, pure basics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't really need to post much because I wasn't sure about what the problems were quite yet or how they were going to deal with them. The not being able to duplicate the problem is legitimate. The only reason I can do it is I know my vehicle and they don't. Plus mine is the first Shelby they have ever had to do any work on.

The next closest ford dealership that has a service department is 120 miles. So thats a bit of a problem. Like I said the dealership is not stonewalling me or anything like that. They have to follow procedures when it comes to dealing with waranty work, the only problem is the procedures blow *^$ and don't fix my problem any time soon. Thats why I'm trying to figure out how to go to the source of the issue, Ford Motor Co. itself. There the ones that gave me a screwed up car :(

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Woah!

That's a bunch of bad luck. Perhaps bad service/bad advice at the dealership too. I don't have any great suggestions for you, but hang in there, and make them get it right. Maybe get a video camera and take it with you whenever you drive the car so you can document it, would be a good way to prove to them that its a real problem.

I am in a similar situation with no nearby dealerships who've done more than change oil on a Shelby (well I did have them install my FRPP shifter)...

Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe a new dealership would be worth your time and effort if it solved them problems once and for all....

TD

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well cars back, and the 2 mile trip home was uneventful. I want to get it out and push it a bit to see if it really is fixed but it's all up to mother nature. Last weeks snow is melting off for the most part, but suppose to get another 12 inches and temps suppose to go down into the -10 to -20 range, so winter may be here for good :( Hope I don't have to wait 6 months to figure out if it's really fixed.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
keep your chin up. drive it like it should be driven. on your next issue with the tranny, take another copy of the TSB and watch as the service manager reads it. You could also get the regional rep involved if need be and force the issue of them to do the tsb. But make sure the tech is HIGHLY qualified tranny tech, and take lots of pic's if able of old and new parts. Maybe call the other dealer and just talk to the service manager about it. I travel 50 miles for my dealer. Even if in your garage and running the car and someone else moving the steering, do videos with sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts