Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a question about cleaning my GT 500. Due to the drought, our area is under a total outdoor water ban; thus no washing allowed! I don't trust the area so called "hand washed" bunch and I've seen pictures of the damage done by the high pressure self-service washs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my baby clean? I use the California duster and have used instant detailer in the past, but I can't bring myself to use that all the time, afraid it will scratch! Thanks for you help in advance>:confused:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hello all,
I have a question about cleaning my GT 500. Due to the drought, our area is under a total outdoor water ban; thus no washing allowed! I don't trust the area so called "hand washed" bunch and I've seen pictures of the damage done by the high pressure self-service washs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my baby clean? I use the California duster and have used instant detailer in the past, but I can't bring myself to use that all the time, afraid it will scratch! Thanks for you help in advance>:confused:
Check post number 9 under Detailing Your Shelby. It can be done with just a five gallon bucket of water.;)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
After a drive, i garage her, let her cool, then wet & ring out a soft cotton hand towel, and wipe mine clean, followed by a soft dry towel. Gets everything right off, even all that freakin brake dust. No scratches, streaks, etc. I wash her(with soap) maybe once a month. She's only a weekend driver, so it's not bad.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I'll give the "sponge bath" method described a go :) and see how it works.
I use the sponge bath method as well. One thing to be careful of is water spotting. Since you're not using a lot of water, it tends to dry faster. I always wash a small area and then immediately dry it with a cotton towel. Following up with a detail spray will ensure a sparkley finish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
here is a trick i use if the car is NOT filthy one gallon lukewarm water one cupful turtle wax car wash (low soap ) and a synthetic chammie get cham good and wet with the solution wash as usual rinse with clean water (one gal) same chammie ps i have a black car

·
Registered
888 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts