Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand new GT500's clutch has stopped functioning at 1700 kms (1050 miles). The clutch earlier has a light hissing sound when depressed and while driving on the 3rd gear. Now it is just impossible to shift any gear as the gears grind during shifting.

I am based in Dubai. When I took the car to the only ford dealer in Dubai, I was informed that they will need to disassemble the transmission & clutch to diagnose the problem, only after which can they confirm warranty. I was also intimated that in a scenario that clutch plates are burnt, the bill for repairs estimated at USD 8K will have to footed by me.

I have read a few threads about the Clutch Drag on this forum and request your assistance as I am an absolute novice about this car. I have managed to get a copy of the TSB which I tried to reason with the dealer.

Can you please suggest what I should do??

Cheers.......

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
The dealer should replace the clutch and flywheel plate under warranty. Not sure how that works overseas.

If the dealer 'won't ' touch it under warranty, I wouldn't pay $8000 to replace, I would put in an aftermarket clutch such as a Centerforce and replace the flywheel w/ a factory piece.

That sucks that they aren't working w/ you better.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My brand new GT500's clutch has stopped functioning at 1700 kms (1050 miles). The clutch earlier has a light hissing sound when depressed and while driving on the 3rd gear. Now it is just impossible to shift any gear as the gears grind during shifting.

Can you please suggest what I should do??

Cheers.......
Just curious - what is the build date of your car? It is posted on a label affixed to your driver's side door jam. I understand that cars built after 8/27/2008 have the new flywheel that the TSB installs. Your dealer should fix whatever is wrong under warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for your response BEACHSCGT500 & 6-Speed. Even I feel that the dealer here should repair my car under warranty and I am trying to push the same thru the Middle East Ford Motor Regional Office here in Dubai.

Incase the local office here does not give me a positive response, I intend to get in touch with the Ford Senior Executives in the US. Unfortunately while I don't have their email id's and am trying to locate them on the net.

The car is a 2007 model, thus I presume it has the old faulty clutch kit.

Cheers and thanks again............

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Folks,

Bad news yet again............I had written to the Dealer Operations Manager at Ford Middle East and this is the reply I got, "Dear Sir, at this point we can not say if the failure is related to the concern mentioned in the TSB. The dealer has to remove the transmission to know the exact nature of the failure. Premature clutch wear and related damage is normally a result of the driver and considered non-warrantable."

I guess I have to now play the gamble and get the transmission disassembled. Incase the dealer and Ford refuse, then I would have no option but to get the car repaiered with them. Incidentally the Ford dealer in Dubai has a pathetic reputation of being incompetent and a cheat.

hey guys can you suggest what I should do? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Cheers.............

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
that's their typical response. if your exibiting the symptoms of the TSB, they should be fixing it under warranty. Unfortunately, their experience (your dealer) level is in question. Talk to the SM and senior tech's personally if not already. Make them drive it with you. Keep forcing the issue with them. If they don't have a HIGHLY experienced tranny tech, i'd be worried about them performing the TSB. Unfortunately, your not in a prime spot to go elsewhere. But i believe there is one other guy over there that actually did the TSB himself. I think he's on the teamshelby.com forum. Go to that forum. There's a lot more info on the tranny issue there. And i mean ALOT. Some ahve even printed the pages along with the TSB and taken it in. "Grabber" is the king of knowledge on this issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Thanks a lot milezperhour
So...did you go back to the dealer and try this:

Go in and be polite, and if the service advisor does not know about the problem, you will have to school him up. (Have the TSB in your back pocket too)

Tell him that you know for a fact that:

1. The first 11 months of GT500 production cars did not get any Teflon lube on the input shaft and clutch hub.

2. Tell him that you know your clutch hub and input shaft have a bunch of surface rust and corrosion on them because the lube never was applied.

3. Tell him that you know that the rusty shaft and clutch hub cause the clutch to not release on time and drag.

4. Tell him that you know that clutch drag causes your syncros to remain loaded with engine torque and that is why your gears grind inbetween shifts.

5. Tell him that you know the transmission input shaft splines have been revised to be a little wider so it will release on time from the clutch hub.

6. Tell him that you know the clutch hub has been revised to be made out of nickle to prevent the clutch hub from rusting.

7. Tell him that you know your flywheel is made out of nodular iron and it does not dissapate the heat very well so it has warped on you and is toasting your clutch and causing your car to have clutch chatter.

8. Tell him that you know the new flywheel is made out of 3100 series steel and is much thicker to take care of the heat dissapation and warpage problem.

If that does not work.....go to a different dealer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow Grabber!!! You freakin' ROCK!!!!!

I'm going to use this info to try and get my $3,200 back that I paid to have this problem fixed in '07 (before the TSB came out). The clutch burned out again almost 1 year to the day after the first repair and I did get the TSB repair done at another dealer under warranty to the tune of $6,000 (so they tell me anyway). Just got it back and so far it's awesome.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a ton guys for your help. Grabber you rock man. I handled the dealer exactly like you recommended and they agreed to repair my car under warranty.

It's doing perfect now. I'm breaking the clutch right now, but it feels much lighter and responsive.

Thanks a ton again.:) :)

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Thanks a ton guys for your help. Grabber you rock man. I handled the dealer exactly like you recommended and they agreed to repair my car under warranty.

It's doing perfect now. I'm breaking the clutch right now, but it feels much lighter and responsive.

Thanks a ton again.:) :)
Great news! Another happy camper. Now I just need to get mine done this spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I happend on this thread doing a google search... My 2008 Shelby GT500 had the Clutch TSB done last month. No more chatter, no more embarrassing stalls at stop signs and traffic lights. The clutch is 100% better.

2008 Vista Blue - all options
CAI
Tune - Evolution Performance
Pully - 2.25 - 12PSi
Axel back Ford Racing exhaust
Ford Racing Handling suspension - lowered 1.25"
Hurst Short Shifter
Mustang Dyno at Evolution Performance
560 RWHP
570 TORQ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts