Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sunroof exploded today...She said it sounded like a shotgun going off.
Glass rained down and air rushed in...Internet search showed some problems with Lincolns, but no TSB's.. She was on the interstate when it happened and it really shook her up.....The glass roof extends the length of the vehicle...

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
wow that sucks...hope she is ok!

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
Yikes... My wife had a 2010 MKT Ecoboost, but we traded it several months ago for a new Grand Wagoneer Summit...

We got plenty-o-miles out of our MKT without the roof exploding!

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I've heard of that happening on Hyundais, but not Lincolns.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If she would have had a glass of cream, it would be butter now...Really rattled her...but she's OK. Our 2011 MKT was fine.. Maybe the roofs are thinner.. Going to Ford if not raining in am

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The sunroof exploded today...She said it sounded like a shotgun going off.

Glass rained down and air rushed in...Internet search showed some problems with Lincolns, but no TSB's.. She was on the interstate when it happened and it really shook her up.....The glass roof extends the length of the vehicle...

This just happened to by neighbors car (not same model) I took it apart for him and he had to pay 700$ for the new frame/glass because on his model it was one piece. Easy to put in PITA to get apart. Best of luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Had this happen in an airplane out of Denver once. Same thing, like a rifle shot. It had happened to my stepdaughter who is a flight attendant just a month previously, so I had an idea of what it was. More common than we may want to think.

Is the roof glass material the same type as windshields? Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Makes me wonder if something hit the glass or was it a really hot day. I've heard about people leaving their cars on a hot day and having the rear glass blow out.

I've decided I don't EVER need another car with a sun roof as I forget it is there so I don't use it and I've heard of them leaking.

I was looking at a Hyundai Sonata about 6 months ago and as often happens they want to sell stuff to you in a package and they were selling the nav system and the sun roof as a package. Since they have redesigned the Sonata, lowered the HP and screwed up the styling I am no longer interested but if I were I would have had to have gotten one with no nav system and added one on later. A nav system without and satellite radio since I've decided that Sirius radio sucks.

I looked up glass exploding on the Internet and ran into this comment:

Yes. I take an initiating factor, such as a rock or foot ball to hit it, but if the inside of the vehicle is very hot, the glass will weaken and an outside force will make the windshild break. We hit a 99 eclipse rear window with a football, checked it for damage and there was none. Five minutes later, it was in thousands of pieces. Perhaps a chip caused while driving would weaken it to the same point. Windshields are expensive!

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
There were no cars around and the vehicle has less than 1000 miles.. Not that hot, but I read that heat can build up between the liner and glass.. Seems to be a different type glass than windshield. Ford says they have a wrap that goes over glass until they get parts.. Sounds risky for drivers in the rear view mirror if air gets under it and lifts it off...We will see

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
There were no cars around and the vehicle has less than 1000 miles.. Not that hot, but I read that heat can build up between the liner and glass.. Seems to be a different type glass than windshield. Ford says they have a wrap that goes over glass until they get parts.. Sounds risky for drivers in the rear view mirror if air gets under it and lifts it off...We will see
I wondered if Ford would have the glass replacement. Apparently not. That would suck to be driving the car with a wrap.

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
That sounds absurd on the part of Ford... The dealership should provide a loaner, and the glass panel shouldn't take more than 4-5 business days to arrive from Ford's main national parts distribution center in Livonia, MI. They typically stock at least one of everything there... Unless of course there's an epidemic of exploding roofs, in which case there might be a delay.

But I'd be damned if I'd drive the vehicle as you described above. I'd ask for a loaner, for however long it takes for Ford to get its act together on getting the parts in.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gave her a loaner and will repair under warranty.....The wrap deal came from someone, I don't know who...Any hoot....Ford dealer will repair the Lincoln though they don't sell Lincoln. Couldn't have been nicer. Dealers are related

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sometimes it's a matter of the panel having the wrong temper. If there are any holes in it for retracting mechanisms, the problem gets worse since there are then built-in stress points.

I've seen threads on a Jeep Wrangler forum regarding the rear opening glass exploding as well.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sometimes it's a matter of the panel having the wrong temper. If there are any holes in it for retracting mechanisms, the problem gets worse since there are then built-in stress points.

I've seen threads on a Jeep Wrangler forum regarding the rear opening glass exploding as well.
Now that makes sense

1 - 17 of 17 Posts