Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my version of what the brake cooling ducts should be on the 07 & 08 GT500

I used a 2-5/8” ID ( 2-7/8 OD) aluminum tube and cut it to match the existing angle of the front grille. Then made a flange out of 1/8” Aluminum and welded it to the tube .Next I sanded and polished the flange .

After drilling a 3” hole where the existing factory ducts are I inserted the new inlet duct from the front side.

I then fabbed a backing plate to again match the grill angle and hold the tube in place.

Now I installed the brake cooling backing plates that I purchased from (Bruce) ac427Cobra @ SVTP

These are designed to direct the cool air into the center of the rotor to cool both the rotor and the bearings.

Next I installed the new 3” hoses from the from inlet to the new backing plates.

(Note :: the only thing I still have to do is to install an inlet debris screen inside the new tube which I plan to do shortly.)

(This required a lot of time to do and is not something that I could or would do again in the future as a service . I just posted it to share it with everyone .)

Thanks ,
George.........

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Very nice George.

I assume that you will be using a clamp at the backing plate tube instead of the wire tie?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes I will and I will also be adding a few more wire ties to the hose.
Yeah I think time will tell where and how many are needed?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Nice work...out of curiosity, what would the kit cost if purchased?
The FRPP kit runs around $350, not sure how much if you custom make the pieces yourself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you could get one like this with full 3' ducting (no one makes it ) Probably about $350 -$400 I would imagine.
Very nice! much better than FRPP IMO Now you can start selling kits:thinkerg: I have one question are you guys rubbing on the hose when turning hard?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Very nice! much better than FRPP IMO Now you can start selling kits:thinkerg: I have one question are you guys rubbing on the hose when turning hard?
I'm not.

but it is real close.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I can't keep up with the Jones anymore.
I'm so far behind of the Jones that I don't even remember what they look like! :boohoo:

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Sweet George.:roller: Nice neat job.Really looks good.Thanks for sharing.It looks like it would be time consuming making hand built parts like that.:bandit:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sweet George.:roller: Nice neat job.Really looks good.Thanks for sharing.It looks like it would be time consuming making hand built parts like that.:bandit:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts