Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Shelby in Knox Indiana Thursday morning (10-12-2006), left at 0800 am local and drove it home to Chandler AZ. The first day was Knox IN via Hwy 35 to Indianapolis. Then I-70 to Tulsa OK where I ran out of steam. I left at 0800 local Friday morning, leaving on I-44 to OKC, picked up I-40 all the way to Holbrook, AZ then through the White Mountains to Phoenix and then home. Total trip was 1809 miles. I sent the dealer before I arrived a LandAirSea 7100 GPS/Cell tracker to install (which I install in my fleet trucks) so I have an hour by hour GPS/MAP/SPEED track of the entire trip.

I will post photos of the car at www.mcleodscotties.com later this evening so check back if you don't see an obvious Shelby link.

I drove the car two days, 1809 miles without a hiccup of ANY type. Interestingly enough, not ONCE did I see a law enforcement vehicle (at least a marked on) and the radar detector activated only twice. I can confirm the car will go (speed), well, that's for another day.

This car is a power brute. I was amazed at the power and handling. Acceleration is mind numbing and takes some getting used to in close quarters.

I can't post photos here because there are too large.

Ken

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wirelessscottie...Congrats on taking delivery! Nice to hear your return trip was w/o incident and look forward to seeing your pics and hearing more of your impressions of your car...:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So, here's my pseudo blog about picking up my new Shelby. I'll offer comments and/or opinions but they are my own observations. You may have a different view of the car than mine. It is long so if you don't have much time, just hit your back button.

On Tuesday 10-10-2006 I flew from Phoenix to Columbus Ohio. My brother owns a business (www.invaderwheels.com) in Hilyard, OH. He offered to drive me the five hours to Knox, IN. I had not seen Scott in about 10 years so it was a good time to catch up on lies and stories. The plane was late (no surprise US Worst) but fortunately uneventful. It was past 1900 local when I arrived so I shacked up at the Hilton/Easton. Nice place. Good food. Horrible bed.

Scott picked me up at 9:00 am on Wednesday the 11th. We decided that since the trip was long, and mainly over two lane roads, we should get something to eat. At 10 am we started the trip. That part of the country was being hammered with bad weather, mainly rain and strong winds so the going was slow. We arrived in Knox IN about 1700 local.

We arrived at the dealership (more on them later) and saw the Torch Red Shelby in the showroom. These folks were waiting for us. The weather was horrible and there was no way I was going to take the Shelby out in the weather considering there was possibility of hail. I did check the weather forecast and sunny weather was expected for the next two days (12th and 13th).

We drooled over the Shelby, got the paperwork out of the way which was pretty fast since the car was already paid for. I left the keys and the paperwork at the dealership. Scott and I headed for a hotel and dinner. We stayed at a small local Inn called the Astoria. Small. Dirty towels in the bathroom wihch they fixed when I complained. We had dinner at a very nice Greek restaurant called Aristo's. Great food. Wonderful service. The owner saw me with my Treo 700 so we later opened a dialog since he was looking for a PDA. While I was there he told me his wireless router wasn't working so I took a few minutes to fix a configuration problem for him.

That night was sleepless - tossing and turning while thinking about the new Shelby. I got up really tired. Spent most of the night watching TV.

Scott and I had breakfast at the 'Country Inn'. Nice place. Fast service and good food. We arrived at the dealer about 8:00 am. I looked over the vehicle and familiarized myself with its controls. I own a 2005 Torch Red GT so most of it was the same as the '05 except my GT is an automatic. The owner Robert and I took the car to fill the gas tank. This gave me chance to feel out the Shelby. What I immediately learned was that this was no 'tame' vehicle. It has a lot of power and can get away from you. Nothing happened during this short drive because I treated the car with the respect it deserved.

Robert and I returned to the dealership. All of us took photos, slapped each other on the back and I prepared to leave. I loaded up my luggage, cell phone, firearm (yup, came prepared and yes, I do have a concealed carry permit. I had to avoid Illinois as much as I could as that was the ONLY state along my route not honoring my Arizona concealed carry permit) and my Globalstar satellite phone. Two days before I sent the dealer a Model 7100 LandAirSea GPS/Cell auto reporting tracking device for installation (www.landairsea.com). The mechanic put it in the hidden location I requested. Before leaving I tested the GPS locator. The web session on my Treo showed the vehicle in the parking lot of the dealer. The device also provides an ignitiion disable. I had that feature enabled in case the car was stolen.

I left shortly after 0800 for home. I headed south on Highway 35 from Knox, In. This is for the most part a rural two lane highway. There was some traffic but nothing that got me bogged down. It was a 100 mile drive from Knox to Indianapolis. Most of that time I used to acquaint myself with the car. For the first hour or so I could not get any boost. However, closer to Indianapolis I had to pass two semi-trucks. I dropped it from 6th to 3rd and punched it. Man, what a shock. The car took off like a rocket and the supercharger boost guage got close to 10 psi. When I shifted into 4th I was doing, well, really fast. I had to pull my eyes back into their sockets from the back of my skull.

The trip from Knox to Indiana didn't provide any opportunity to get a feel for how the car handles. The road was straight most of the way. I did feel that the car really grabbed the ground and feels like a true race car when you make sharp turns.

From Indiana I took I-70 westbound. Here is where I noticed a few things about owning a new Shelby. For the remainder of the trip I was constantly barraged by ricers and beat up trucks who wanted to show off their crap. I had one Dodge Diesel come up on my right side about 75, put his truck into neutral (or, push in the clutch) and rev his engine - like I cared. I have to say I was really shocked at how much angry envy the car attracted. I noticed this all the way across the country. Of course, I DID get a LOT of people coming by me with the usual thumbs up!

I had to stop in St. Louis for gas and a snack. Roads through there were horrible with confusiing signage and lots of construction. I made one mistake here. I picked an off ramp at random when I saw a familiar gas station sign. At the top of the ramp I immediately knew I had made a mistake. On my right was a HUGE Chrysler manufacturing plant and it was the 1500 shift change. Thousands of cars were pouring out of the parking lot. Here I was, in a Shelby, surrounded by hundreds of Chrysler products. I made it to the QuikTrip station at the top of the ramp and filled up - gas and food. The car was surrounded by Chrysler employees who wanted to look into every nook and cranny of the car. It was an instant one man car show. I have to give credit to these workers. I understand brand and union loyalty but every single person had nothing but praise for the Shelby. I left the station 30 minutes later with a great feeling.

I contined on I-70 but had to stop in Tulsa, OK. I was hoping to make OKC but the lack of sleep the prior night made it too dangerous to continue. I spent the night in the Hilton across the street from Oral Roberts University. This Hilton was a dump. Service was good as was the food. The hotel looked like it needed a paint job and new carperts, at least 10 years ago. I left them a comment card with my obervations and my Hilton Honors account number. I will be surprised it they contact me.

Day two (Friday the 13th - uh oh!). I filled up the car (gas was under two bucks a gallon for premiium) and picked up I-40. I-40 was going to take me all the way home. I managed to travel at mostly 80 miles per hour, slowing down only for the all too often freeway construction. The Sirius radio in the Shelby was my companion as was the FOX News Channel. It was a boring drive, just stopping every few hours for gas and the usual related things. I wanted to get home and I knew it was going to be a long day.

The car was averaging 19 miles per gallon, regardless of how I drove it. I tried to keep the speed to at least 80 since that was the general flow of traffic.

I arrived at my home in Chandler AZ at 2215 hours. At www.mcleodscotties.com, find the Mustang page. I put up a link to the entire GPS data log showing the automatic hourly reports. As to the entries above the speed limit, I admit nothing. It must be an error. The trip was 1809 miles over two days.

The Shelby performed flawlessly. When I reached the White Mountains of AZ I was too tired to try any fancy driving through the twisty 2 lane roads. But I can tell you that the car felt like it has super glue drippers over the tires.

I found the car easy to drive so long as I temper it with respect. It is very fast and powerful. While on the Will Rogers Turnpike, I had to stop 42 miles in from the east to pay a toll. As I left the toll booth there was not a single car in sight. Well, figure the rest out for yourself. I had to stop my knees from shaking by the time I slowed down. It corners like it is attached to a rail on the ground. All of the internal systems (lights, AC/Heater, radios - Shaker 1000, etc.) worked perfectly. I checked the oil at every stop and never saw the level go down at all. Since the car uses synthetic I did check at a few stops to see if they had what Ford requires. I found nothing so it may be a good idea to keep a couple of quarts in the trunk until the oil becomes more widely available.

A few words about the dealer I purchased it from. I start off by saying I paid well over MSRP and I am glad I did. It insured I would be able to purchase the car. I tried to buy a Shelby from a Phoenix area dealer from whom I have purchased personal and fleet vehicles for 12 years. Those guys wouldn't even return my calls.

I located Kank Akee Valley Ford in Knox IN from an Internet posting. I dealt with Robert Crosby the owner and the sales manager, Layton Darnell. If I live ten thousand years, I will NEVER EVER find a nicer or more honest group of people than those at Kank Akee Valley Ford.

See next message for remainder of message.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: My Shelby is now home - photos - part Deux

When I arrived I was treated like a member of the local community - not some hot shot from Arizona (which I'm not). Layton had prepared for me a three ring binder on the Shelby. He had preserved in plastic slip covers every piece of information generated as a result of this sale. The binder starts off with a print screen of the dealership entering the order into the Ford sales system. The following pages are the continuing reports on the status of the car, the issuance of the VIN, various holds and finally the shipping and delivery documents. He had also framed the window sticker. In case you want to know, it was $ 46,080.00. I have negotiated the purchase their 2008and 2009 Shelby alotments (one each year).

If you are in Indiana or the surrounds, you should really think about meeting these guys at Kank Akee Valley Ford.

The Shelby now sits ay my home. You can see photos of the Shelby at www.mcleodscotties.com. I will be posting more photos, as well a copies of the various build documents, etc. I have a history of this car from pre-sales, birth and delivery.

All in all I am pleased to be the owner of a 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT-500.

Ken

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow, enjoyed the story! Yes, they are indeed a "fun" car! Welcome fellow Shelby'er :)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Ken,
Thanks for the postings.Glad all went well and a safe trip home.Enjoy............07......................

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Felt like I was reading a short story. Welcome to the club and look forward to future posts. Best of luck Wirelessottie.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great story .....
I hope to pick mine up this weekend if it arrives at the dealer.
It shipped 10/9 so maybe I will get it.
I will only have a 400 mile trip but am looking forward to it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm glad to see people are getting cars. I'm headed out soon to buy skies for mine. I may need them to get it home.LOL

·
Registered
110 Posts
I picked up my Shelby in Knox Indiana Thursday morning (10-12-2006), left at 0800 am local and drove it home to Chandler AZ. The first day was Knox IN via Hwy 35 to Indianapolis. Then I-70 to Tulsa OK where I ran out of steam. I left at 0800 local Friday morning, leaving on I-44 to OKC, picked up I-40 all the way to Holbrook, AZ then through the White Mountains to Phoenix and then home. Total trip was 1809 miles. I sent the dealer before I arrived a LandAirSea 7100 GPS/Cell tracker to install (which I install in my fleet trucks) so I have an hour by hour GPS/MAP/SPEED track of the entire trip.

I will post photos of the car at www.mcleodscotties.com later this evening so check back if you don't see an obvious Shelby link.

I drove the car two days, 1809 miles without a hiccup of ANY type. Interestingly enough, not ONCE did I see a law enforcement vehicle (at least a marked on) and the radar detector activated only twice. I can confirm the car will go (speed), well, that's for another day.

This car is a power brute. I was amazed at the power and handling. Acceleration is mind numbing and takes some getting used to in close quarters.

Ken
Ken, Congrats on getting the Shelby! Awesome cars... Nice story

·
Registered
285 Posts
Congrats, enjoy it, I can't wait to get mine. I have the same car (coming soon, I hope). Nice story, sounds like you had fun. :D

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Awesome story!!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Ken
great story...i picked mine up in columbus ohio,near the area where your brother lives...good luck with your new ride

Brian

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kewl - I had never been to Columbus. It was a nice place to visit, even if it was raining. Scott lives in Hilyard. He owns www.invaderwheels.com. Makes customer wheels for choppers. Scott is a disabled vietnam veteran slowly wasting away from war wounds and helped by a Veterans Administration who doesn't care. Off the sop box.

I took my GT500 to the Monsoon Madness Mustang Show in Mesa AZ today. 150 'stangs of all types, flavors and colors. My GT500 was the ONLY one there! It garnered a lot of attention as well as ohhs and ahhs, even from die hard old style Mustang owners.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts