Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked this up last week.......my how trucks have changed! It was between this or a new Aviator, which is a beautiful vehicle, but I’m super happy to be back in a pick-up truck.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! This thing will tow 12900 pounds and it’s just a 150!

Yeah, my son loves his hockey! I hit one of his pucks last week with my lawn tractor and caused $300 worth of damage!

Tightlines—let’s see that truck!

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Thanks guys! This thing will tow 12900 pounds and it’s just a 150!
Great truck, and nice color. The eco boost is strong, but be mindful of the F150’s max cargo and tongue weights. Those weights will normally limit you and cause the truck to be overloaded before you get to the max towing weight. Another website that I’ve found helpful for Ford truck owners is the Ford Truck Enthusiasts (FTE) site.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will never come close to that weight......I typically tow a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer for work and sometimes take my lawn tractor in for maintenance. I am looking into getting an enclosed car trailer so I wanted the max towing package, just in case.

Thanks for the heads-up! I will be checking out those other sites too.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,658 Posts
I am looking into getting an enclosed car trailer so I wanted the max towing package, just in case.
I got an enclosed trailer that I pull with my F-150. It does a great job, but to ensure success, these were my “must haves:”

1. V-nose front (important for lighter duty trucks)
2. Beaver tail back end (lowers the entrance angle that helps with cars with lower fronts).
3. 20’, which is perfect for an F-150 pulling 1 car!
4. Driver’s side escape door (without one, you’ll be climbing through the window.)

You can spend big money and get an all aluminum trailer, but I didn’t want that much money tied up in something that gets very little usage.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s what I’m looking at! Thanks for the tips, Tim. I wouldn’t have thought of the V nose but the side door is an absolute must.
What did you pay, if you don’t mind me asking? How wide and tall is yours? I’d be selling my 6 x 12 to replace it with this.
I’m surprised how relatively cheap you can get one but am concerned about not getting a quality trailer. My 6 x 12 cost me as much as some of the car trailers I’m seeing.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,658 Posts
That’s what I’m looking at! Thanks for the tips, Tim. I wouldn’t have thought of the V nose but the side door is an absolute must.
What did you pay, if you don’t mind me asking? How wide and tall is yours? I’d be selling my 6 x 12 to replace it with this.
I’m surprised how relatively cheap you can get one but am concerned about not getting a quality trailer. My 6 x 12 cost me as much as some of the car trailers I’m seeing.
Prices run the gamut up to crazy high prices for all aluminum that has the entire side lift up for egress.

I got a hell of a deal on my trailer. It was used less than a year and traded in to a camper dealer for a new camper. I got it for $6k. I had been searching for a used trailer that filled all of the above boxes and wasn’t having any luck. When mine popped up on craigslist, I jumped on it in a heartbeat. I don’t recall the dimensions... I think they are all about the same. Just look for a 20’ enclosed car hauler. Once you go to 24+ feet, there is more unnecessary side panel that gets pulled around by crosswinds. A 20’ is perfect for an F-150 and the V-nose helps lower the drag.

Another thing... my truck had the tow package, but the F-150s then did not come with a trailer brake controller. This is another “must have!” I bought the controller, installed it myself and then went to the dealer to have them activate it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s like we’re brothers from other mothers, I’ve been doing the same thing....looking for a used one and not having any luck. I’m not in a hurry so it’s all good.

Mine does have the brake controller so I’m good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Make sure you check the axle ratings on the trailer to make sure you aren’t at the upper limit of the axle ratings when you load the car, stuff, and empty weight of the trailer all added together. I prefer the axles with 5k load limits and not the lighter axles. Torsion versus leaf springs is another choice you’ll face, but that’s not as black and white of a choice. I agree with Tim’s other suggestions as that’s what I chose for my trailer too....except I went longer because I have a bigger truck and like the extra space for hauling various things.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,658 Posts
Make sure you check the axle ratings on the trailer to make sure you aren’t at the upper limit of the axle ratings when you load the car, stuff, and empty weight of the trailer all added together.
Yes! Forgot to mention this. Many cheaper trailers come with 3500# axles. Mine came with 5000# axles. Here is the data plate on my trailer for reference @bdhenry:

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Imagine what Tim’s trailer would hold if he only had 3500# axles. He couldn’t put his current GT500 in it without being over the 6999# GVWR. His trailer weighs 3720lbs, and his 2011 GT500 is 3820lbs (without all his detailing stuff in the trunk). That puts the total weight at 7540lbs, which would overload a trailer with two 3500# axles. And it’s even worse if you buy an overweight 2020 GT500! :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great info! I’ve never transported a car before so I’ll take all the help I can get.

How do you strap the car down in the trailer?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,658 Posts
How do you strap the car down in the trailer?
There are a couple different setups. Some trailers have e-tracks (I think that’s what they are called) that are bolted to the floor. You then run a strap over each tire and secure the straps to the tracks. Other trailers have D-rings, which my trailer has. I added elevated wooden runners in my trailer to be able to use the side escape door (Mustang doors are too low to open above the trailer fenders). I built my runners to be compatible with my D-rings, which I put a towel inside each wheel and run straps through the wheels to the rings. You don’t want to hook to the bottom of the car. You want the car to be able to bounce on its suspension. You can hook to the rear axle though.

Pictures:
81E3A1F5-8B74-4660-9F69-66F6C8007F5D.jpeg
822CC0E1-8927-4ECA-B7AA-CD1A9D912CE0.jpeg
BBFD50F9-CC3E-4454-9952-79A54C530F48.jpeg
11CA25B2-B879-4D74-9953-63BCDE2BDF7C.jpeg
D7F8027C-FCA0-4BAD-9D95-D69736438DE5.jpeg
9D6B9C9C-DFA9-4E17-89FD-452C0E2BADE3.jpeg
DBAE92D9-8298-43EC-89EC-FCD76F03822E.jpeg

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Tim!

What about the front? Strapped the same way I assume?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts