Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500, base/tech/stripes
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Car

I know it don’t look much like it, but as of Saturday, she is mechanically complete. Finally figured out a trans cooler and intercooler size, location and plumbing. Everything that’s needed is mounted, plumbed, wired (except for ac trinary which i have to do when body comes off) and generally figured out. I just have a few loose ends to tie up (reassembly console to make sure it’ll work, drill/tap/install an hose clamps and mark ones that have to be drilled while it’s apart, etc) and a major shop clean out and it’s ready to blow up for paint!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Lookin great, what color you doing it? Fiberglass body work is so horrible to do i give you much credit lol.
thanks! It’s going to be yellow. Not sure if screaming yellow from 04 cobras or a metallic yellow the same shade. Depends on if I can spray the metallic or not lol!

it’s def an art form. But I grew up and my first job was fiberglass work so I learned a bunch of tricks. Then I met a gentleman more recently that him and his brother built an AMBR winning car a few years back and he gave me a few more tips. Combine that with what I’ve learned about keeping it and gettin it out of my skin, and it’s not too bad now. It does require more patience for curing time. But I just don’t have all the metal working tools, nor near enough knowledge. I keep threatening to do a metal car, but then I start pricing tools….. lol. I think this will be my last build of this scale though. I’ve used everything I’ve learned and learned a whole lot more.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Today, I made a bracket for the jumper cables/charger. I wanted something accessible even if out one a date and dressed nice, something I wouldn’t get filthy getting to and mess up my interior. So I put it under the back. Made a bracket for it with a grommeted hole (use protection yall!). On final sssembky I’ll glue a piece of rubber above it to prevent grounding the positive clamp by accident.

The car is still in the air here, so I hope it’s less noticeable down on the ground. I just realized that I forgot to look when I put it down lol

And I put it down on her own 4 feet again.

·
Registered
factory five 1965 AC cobra 5.4 gt500
885 Posts
If you haven’t already as it’s hard to see in pic. I would recommended adding a few tack welds around banana to rear housing.just the bolts will not hold it,I learned that the hard way when I first launched my cobra during its go kart stage lol.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If you haven’t already as it’s hard to see in pic. I would recommended adding a few tack welds around banana to rear housing.just the bolts will not hold it,I learned that the hard way when I first launched my cobra during its go kart stage lol.
View attachment 238130
oh yeah. That’s one thing on the tidy up list. I intend to fully weld it and the axle tubes while it’s apart. I actually have lots of stuff that i only tacked for fab that have to be welded out. I also plan on cutting those bolts and bosses off to clean it up and make it look a lot better.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts