Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500, base/tech/stripes
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some of y’all might like this, at the guidance of Tim.

My project. A 1933 ford style hot rod. The basic chassis and body is a factory five hot rod kit with lots of changes. Power comes from a whippled gen 2 coyote with 6r80, controlled by a frpp controls pack through a 8.8 hanging from a 3 link. I elected this over irs due to needing a place for the coolant reservoir and intercooler system. It’s all in the back.

Been planning this build for about 20 years. Since I built my first car. Started it about 5 years ago. Originally, was going to start with original style rails. Then was going to to a rats glass speedstar, but Icouldn’t get a definitive answer if the coyote would fit in the front. Everyone does LS in those. Started looking into the FFR as I’ve built a few of the cobras, and found that I like their frame and front suspension style. So, I went that route. That’s cause a lot of heartache fixing what I wanted done differently than they do, but I’m not in abt hurry.

the starting point, almost.

A ways along. All this is mocking and fab.

Custom trans mount. FFR doesn’t support it and said it wouldn’t fit. Actually fit quite easily.

Lokar shifter. And the up and down shift works!

Body on

Doors fit. Windscreen on.

Soft top on

Time to get the belt driven intake on

Custom fabbed inlet by me!

Custom fuel system. Dual 340 pumps, one on Hobbs switch, -8an supply, -6 return and crossover, one to each rail.

Hagan flush mount tail lights

Had to build a bump out to clearance for the blower.

Decided I wanted door handles inside. First, did a cable system. Didn’t like how close to latch it had to ride due to stretch. Built my own rod system and it feels a lot better and much safer latch engagement. Built in adjustment for leverage at the pivot

Up till now. You’ve no idea how much work went in to cut this side panel and make it easily removable and binding the front part to the lower cone. I had to cut the panel and build new flanges to meet up and bolt to each other along the new front edge.

That’s up till now. More as I make big progress. I have to finish fitting the trunk, clearance for the panel bolts inside the hood, build my intercooler/coolant reservoir (yea they will share a reservoir), build door panels and console and it’ll be ready to blow up for paint.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,901 Posts
Absolutely AWESOME! 🤟

Thanks for sharing this with us Joey!🍻

I look forward to your drive impressions!

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,608 Posts
Sweet! I was going to ask if it was a FFR in your other post. I’ve been looking at their Cobra kits for a few years but I have a 65 Fairlane I need to finish first. Will be watching.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolutely AWESOME! 🤟

Thanks for sharing this with us Joey!🍻

I look forward to your drive impressions!
thanks tim! I’ve got it rpm locked to 3k right now while I get it mechanically done. I’ve played though a bit and it’s, well, let’s say “peppy” lol! You wouldn’t believe the stuff I’ve had trying to get it to work right. But I ended up with a 3600 converter and manual brakes and finally it’s useable, at least up and down my street. I think I’m going to slow the throttle down a bit, with that 1st and the 3.55’s, it’s very touchy off the line, but I need my final wheels on it. All that fine tuning will come when it’s done.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet! I was going to ask if it was a FFR in your other post. I’ve been looking at their Cobra kits for a few years but I have a 65 Fairlane I need to finish first. Will be watching.
yessir it is. Thanks! Their cobra kits are the bomb. Awesome setup and about the safest on the market (I’ve flipped one! I was a LOT younger, was 20 years ago now). But the other kits, I highly recommend you do a ton of investigating on if it’s really what you want, if you have dead set desires. But the mark 4 is an awesome kit. Easy to build and a pile of fun.

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,720 Posts
Thank you for powering your Ford with a Ford. 😎

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
2,165 Posts
Very cool! Looking forward to seeing your progress. I’m thinking traction will be an issue, but that will make it extra fun to drive!

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
2,162 Posts
Looks like buying one woulda been easier. But that may be cuz my mechanical skills are mostly changing the oil. Oh, I can also add antifreeze and change wiper blades. Other than that, not so much.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like buying one woulda been easier. But that may be cuz my mechanical skills are mostly changing the oil. Oh, I can also add antifreeze and change wiper blades. Other than that, not so much.
haha! And that’s ok! I’m not a builder that turns my nose at people who buy completed cars. Not everyone has the ability, time or patience. Irritates me when people don’t take that into account. For me, I enjoy building as much as driving. I considered buying a completed car at one point, and redoing it, but when I started taking into account all of the changes I wanted to make, I elected to start fresh.

The hot rod is a different animal, but when it comes to the cobra kits from FFR, if you can change oil, do a break job, use an engine lift, install a radio without a harness adapter and know how to bend tubing without crushing it and drill/rivet with blind hole rivets, you can do everything except the body work.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m running out of room! After consultation with a bunch of people, engineers and hot rodders, I’ve decided to combine the coolant reservoirs into one system. Got some creative cap pressure planning, hose routing and fill methods to make sure no air gets sucked into the engine but I think it’ll work. We use a system similar on a reactor where I work and it works fine. That said, I built a reservoir mock up today out of foam. Soon as the water filler neck gets here, I’ll bring it over to the fab shop and get it built. It goes behind the driver seat, in front of the axle.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,901 Posts
Tightened up a couple loose ends this morning. Here she is all major body work done!

Cool car/cool garage! Nice to have the space to be able to do this!

Reactions: SVTFreak

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,901 Posts
I have to agree lol. I do wish I would have gone 30x36. I have place to add on the back side though. Eventually.

Worked on console, door panels, and some switch mounting today.
When researching garage sizes prior to my build, the recurring theme was whatever size you end up with… you will have wanted it larger. This led me to setting mine up to be expandable.

Reactions: SVTFreak

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When researching garage sizes prior to my build, the recurring theme was whatever size you end up with… you will have wanted it larger. This led me to setting mine up to be expandable.
yep that’s exactly why I bought the shop I did. Would be pretty easy to double it’s size off the side. The only loss will be roof height. It’ll drop from my 11’ eve to 9’ at the new eve. Eventually… lol. My wife says I can’t because it’s a natural limit to the number of cars/projects I have. Guess that’s what I get for telling her that about the closet size.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts