Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an Vista Blue S197 Mustang GT since 2006 when I bought it new that year after seeing the 2005 Mustang Gt my older brother had purchased. Immediately had to rethink my plans since I had warned my fiance back in the day that there were two certainties in this life.....I was going to be a professional fireman, and I was going to get a Blue 1965 Fastback Mustang. The fire department actually came to fruition rather quickly (been working for Kansas City FD now for 25+ years), but had always had to put the '65 on hold. That being said, after seeing the S197 at the car show for 2005 models, I knew that as much as I loved the old ones, going this route afforded me to have some of the new amenities (improved suspension, air conditioning, etc), but still got what I considered the original 'look' of the '65.

I got mine in the spring of '06 and have enjoyed it ever since. That being said, once the GT500's were introduced, I felt slightly cheated that I didnt have the opportunity to go that route despite not being aware of their impending introduction to the car world (probably didnt matter since I couldnt afford the $10K over sticker they went for at the time anyway) and ultimately modded the heck out of it (hard to see, but it also has a GT500 front end).

But despite modding the hell out of my GT and being extremely with it, I always still had the Shelby bug....

This fall, I headed out to Las Vegas with my wife for a week get away and told her what ever she wanted to do was fine by me...as long as I got the opportunity to go to Shelby America and do the full tour, which (unfortunately for her) turned out to intensify my addiction 1000X. Once back home I started looking around, under the guise that I was just curious what they were going for and how likely I was to find anything like what I was looking for (Blue, S197 skin, reasonably low mileage, and not beat on). Surprisingly I found quite a few blue ones, but most were far enough away there wasnt a huge draw for me to hop a plane, so that helped, but the idea was always making the switch as a retirement gift to myself when I called it a day from the fire department. Fortunately for me though (and not my wife) I did manage to find one within 20 miles or so from my house in December up for sale. When I got a text from the seller (username: Kurtdog) last week saying he still had it and still intended to sell it, I set up a time to go take a look asap. So now, maybe a week or so later, we've agreed to a price and at this point I'm just waiting on the bank to get some money moved so I can complete the transaction (hoping by this Tuesday).

So I'm excited to finally be in the Shelby GT500 family.....took awhile, but I got my retirement 'toy' early, and it is what it is and my wife will deal with it (thankfully I was able to sell my GT later the same day to ease my money requirements from the bank or my wife might have made me sleep in it for some time too) so I'm pretty excited and looking forward to some possible modifications. That being said, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it looks when I swap out my Alcoa's on to it....

Andretti

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Congrats, and you certainly are purchasing from a trusted forum member! @kurtdog knows his stuff. The bad side is KC isn't the friendliest city for a Shelby in the winter! You may just have to drool over her in your garage until Spring.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Welcome. You have a beautiful and well cared for car.
I bought my '09 for the same reason, they have the closest look to the original.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Nice, congratulations.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,542 Posts
Welcome @Andretti!

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and show us your beautiful Shelby! Congrats on fulfilling a dream!

Holler at fletchffletch or me if you need any forum assistance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Congrats, and you certainly are purchasing from a trusted forum member! @kurtdog knows his stuff. The bad side is KC isn't the friendliest city for a Shelby in the winter! You may just have to drool over her in your garage until Spring.
Thank you.. Definitely a bucket list situation I plan on enjoying for many years.

Actually I've been lucky enough to only use my previous mustang as a third car and drive it only when I want too, so it never saw snow except when I opened the garage door from parking my truck on the driveway and walked by it to get into the house. The GT500 will be no different, so I'm use to parking mustangs for the winter. I never had mine out in the rain either, short of getting caught in a sudden downpour, so no biggie, just more of the same fortunately.

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
Congrats on your new ride! You’re buying from a great guy. We’ll have to get together for lunch with some of the other KC group. What’s your plan with your GT?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Congrats on your new ride! You’re buying from a great guy. We’ll have to get together for lunch with some of the other KC group. What’s your plan with your GT?
I actually sold it to my daughters boyfriend and his dad on the way home from buying Kurtdog's GT500 that night. Tommorow I get to attempt to remove the Shelby Kicker VVS subwoofer kit I put in my GT 10 or more years ago and I only 'slightly' remember how to do it (which has me semi-paniced over doing since I have only the slightest memories of how it went in). I'll pull the power amp and the wiring along with the upgraded sub and reinstall the stock sub back in (and for the life of me do not remember what the original sub plugged into to make it work). Guess I'm going to find out the hard way in the morning one way or the other, all so I can move it over to the 500.

I was initially considering pretty much the same mods to the 500:

Exterior:
Alcoa wheels
Trufiber KR hood,
10" painted stripes bumper to bumper
Roush Side Louvers and rear wing
clear lenses and colored bulbs all around
sequential tail lights

Interior:
installing my Kenwood 893S double din stereo
homelink mod
mgw shifter

Engine:
Kook Headers
2.6 Metco pulley
3.73 rear end gears

The Alcoa move is definite and will be switched out almost the minute I get the 500 in my garage. The sub installation will have to be figured out and done by tuesday when the GT is likely to be paid for. As far as the hood and the other stuff, I'm really having second thoughts about going back exactly the same as before. I flipping loved how my gt looked, I just hate to do the 500 the same so there are two nearly identical mustangs running around Kansas City Northland (not to mention how many shows we will likely both hit together). I might end up leaving the rear spoiler stock, and going with cervini side scoops instead of the roush louvers, but I'm probably 60/40 in favor of switching the hood to another trufiber KR one (I was a strong 100%, but now I'm wondering if I should do the trufiber, put a completely different hood on it, or just stick with the stock one) /shrug first world problems, right? lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that being said, I'm open to suggestions and ideas :p

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, thanks for all the welcome messages. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
Maybe go with a SS hood instead to switch it up??? @Carsten89 has a great looking 2008 Vista blue with a Black Mamba CF hood and Alcoas.

·
Premium Member
7,639 Posts
that being said, I'm open to suggestions and ideas :p
You will definitely have to attend a KC get-together to see different cars in person, and you might even want to put SHELBYFEST 2020 on your calendar, first weekend in May, (a short drive over to Jefferson City, MO), to see hundreds of Shelby vehicles with all sorts of different mods, so you can judge for yourself which items you like / dislike, before spending the time / money .... not to mention meeting a "pretty good" group of owners. Congrats on your new purchase and THANKS for your service in Kansas City !!! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
absolutely, im just hoping it isnt the same weekend as my daughters graduation from Mizzou. If so, I'm screwed. I don't think her or her mother will let me skip it without a fight :p

·
DFW Shelby Queen!
4,394 Posts
Congratulations on finding your Shelby. You bought it from an awesome guy! I am the token girl here on the forum and everything I have modified on my car is because of these guys!! They will help you spend all your money..lol! You’re in great hands here though so no worries. Welcome!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congratulations on an awesome car and let the fun begin. Can't wait to see it in person!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts