Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the day is finally here. I just spent hours putting together a video to partially show what the heck I’ve been consumed by for the past 7 months. There are a bunch of pics that didn’t make the video. I’ll post some later. This project has taken many, many, MANY hundreds of hours to get the car to the level I am happy with. If I knew then what I know now, I would have NEVER taken on this project. I have spent countless full days and nights in my garage plugging away at this project. The car came out of an older gentlemen’s collection from the northeast. It was described to be “like new.” I got a big surprise the night before it shipped. I opted to go through with it since I figured some rust treatment chemicals would solve most of the problem. I was incorrect in my assessment. The problem was much worse in person. I started the project with the intent to just soak the bottom with various chemicals. Then I needed to remove the driveshaft for access. Then I needed to remove the exhaust for access. Then I needed to remove the rear ended to get the exhaust out. Then... Then... Then... the project just kept growing and growing. The realization finally hit me that I was well into a full bottom restoration. I knew I was fully committed when I pulled the fuel tank, fuel lines and brake lines. There was no turning back. Having never done anything like this before, the learning curve was STEEP! What surprised me most was the car went back together... one piece at a time and it actually started on the first attempt! :eek:

I finished the project with a full polish/paint correction and an interior detail. The car now has 141 miles on the clock and will be art on wheels in my climate controlled garage.

The video captures about one tenth of what I had to do to this car:

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Wow, was a massive project! Good thing you had the equipment and schedule to complete the restoration. Have to admit it looks great. I hope the previous owner discounted the original price after dropping that bombshell on you right before shipping it.

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
The seller had better be sending you a VERY LARGE rebate check !!

Just watching that video made my back ache, my head hurt, and my blood boil ... FANTASTIC work on your end ... please post the seller's name so we can all send him hate mail. LOL

·
Registered
'11 Sterling Gray GT500 '13 DIB GT Prem. 'Vert.
141 Posts
... please post the seller's name so we can all send him hate mail. LOL
Better still there's a few of us here from the Northeast...tell him "you know a guy..." ;) You did a fantastic job on the car, kudos to you sir. Bolero was a nice touch too...

·
Super Moderator
5,045 Posts
Monumental effort!!! Huge kudos to you, Goose, for taking on and executing such a huge project. Congrats, man!

I'm exhausted just watching the video.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Buffed out nicely!

Now just need the video of it doing a donut/burnout...lol

Seriously NICE, but whole lotta work!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Geez, was it parked in a lake? That was a lot of rust!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments guys. It was a tall order, but I learned a crap-ton in the process. Many hours and days were spent with trial and error. I’ll used what I learned when I tackle my 89 full resto.

That's some mighty fine work right there! Any special significance regarding using Bolero as your background music?
I could give some line about it being a “10” now, but truth be told I was searching through my music library for a long, slow-building song and this song was exactly what I needed.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,939 Posts
I've been following this project with Tim from day one. It was a monumental task to undertake and still hold down a job flying all over the country, and keeping the crumgrabbers interested in chopping boards in half! It just was something that transformed itself from a clean-up to OMG! Doing this by yourself takes a significant amount of self discipline. I've been involved in a number of restoration projects of vintage BMW's with my friend Lothar, so I can really appreciate the amount of time and work involved in a teardown, cleaning, refurbishing, and reassembling. Great job, Tim!! Your stick-to-itiveness is to be commended. Oftentimes these type of projects fall by the wayside simply because they become overwhelming to the owner and the cars get pushed off to someone else. This was a matter of principal and personal challenge. Beautiful and worthwhile result! Now take a bit of a breather and watch the scene of Bo Derrick running down the beach or that other wonderful scene! LOL!

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,731 Posts
Wow, what a great resto project! Love the Indy Pace Car addition to your top notch collection.
You need to bring it to Indy to get some pics like this:
966A4F14-065C-4C8C-8AC3-0EF756AF142F.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
Oftentimes these type of projects fall by the wayside simply because they become overwhelming to the owner and the cars get pushed off to someone else.
Hey .... just because I haven't finished the van yet, is no reason to go and push me down the stairs !! LOL 😆
😄

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
2,992 Posts
Honest question, is it worth more now or before the restoration ??
..............( barn finds are sometimes left just the way they are found )

1 - 20 of 29 Posts