Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2007 Shelby GT500 when it had 12,000 miles on it and was 1 year old. I keep it covered in the garage when I’m not using it. Currently has 21,000 miles on it. I noticed that the hood was starting to rust under the paint, apparently a month before the warranty was up. I had no idea that the warranty was up due to the fact that these cars normally have a 3 year warranty and it wasn’t even fully into it’s 2nd year. When I brought it in for service, I got an oil change and I let the service manager know about the rust. The dealership told me that the warranty had expired a month ago and that Ford wouldn’t cover the repair. I ten contacted the Ford headquarters numerous times, only to be cast aside ad told that it “wasn’t their problem.” I think its ridiculous to buy a $50,000 car and when it has a factory defect-which a Shelby expert told me the rust was-and the same thing has been a problem with Ford products in the passed (the same rusting happened to my 2004 Expedition’s aluminum hood and to my son’s 2006 Mustang). Ford told me that it wasn’t covered and they aren’t gonna fix it. Since it hasn’t rusted through and developed a hole, Ford claims that they aren’t responsible. Buyers beware, not only in purchasing newer Shelbys but Mustangs in general, due to mine and my son’s problem with rusting.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I purchased my 2007 Shelby GT500 when it had 12,000 miles on it and was 1 year old. I keep it covered in the garage when I’m not using it. Currently has 21,000 miles on it. I noticed that the hood was starting to rust under the paint, apparently a month before the warranty was up. I had no idea that the warranty was up due to the fact that these cars normally have a 3 year warranty and it wasn’t even fully into it’s 2nd year. When I brought it in for service, I got an oil change and I let the service manager know about the rust. The dealership told me that the warranty had expired a month ago and that Ford wouldn’t cover the repair. I ten contacted the Ford headquarters numerous times, only to be cast aside ad told that it “wasn’t their problem.” I think its ridiculous to buy a $50,000 car and when it has a factory defect-which a Shelby expert told me the rust was-and the same thing has been a problem with Ford products in the passed (the same rusting happened to my 2004 Expedition’s aluminum hood and to my son’s 2006 Mustang). Ford told me that it wasn’t covered and they aren’t gonna fix it. Since it hasn’t rusted through and developed a hole, Ford claims that they aren’t responsible. Buyers beware, not only in purchasing newer Shelbys but Mustangs in general, due to mine and my son’s problem with rusting.
I wasn't aware that aluminum could rust.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Sounds like an excuse to get a KR hood!

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Something sounds a little off here. The vehicle is covered for 36,000 miles or 36 months, whichever occurs first. You're syaing it's less than both. Ford saying "it's not their problem" doen't make sense. Did they say it was normal? On what basis were they saying it wasn't covered?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I doubt you'll get a response from him. This thread is over a year old and he only posted twice about the same issue in 2 different threads.

Besides, our hoods don't rust as they are aluminum.

Must've been a Camaro lover trying to stir up sh!t. LOL

Arbour88

·
Registered
900 Posts
i agree. i was BS from the start........

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Der. I guess I should have looked at the post dates.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I Had a 2007 Ford Freestyle and the hood was doing the same thing.

Quick fix - I traded it in on a 2010 F-150

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Although a BS thread, a good way to reduce opportunities for rusting or oxidizing is to give plenty of room to Camaros when you pass because they always piddle when they see a GT500!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
im from east texas and at a dealer around here i went to get an oil change and was checking out a 2011 gt500 in the back and i saw another 2007 gt500 and and asked what was wrong with it cuz it was up on a car lift and the guy told me the owner was trying to sue ford because the bottom of the car had rusted up really bad and he was mad and the dealer ship said its normal but i looked under it and it was nothing but rust it appered to me that the bottom didnt get painted or under coated or what ever they do at the factory because it was bad and i would have been pretty mad to

·
Registered
58 Posts
Total BS....I own a 00' V6 Mustang and I use it as my DD...rain, shine or snow...It is always parked on the street...and it doesn't have one spec of rust on it.
Your hood is plastic so it will never rust. I have seen the paint crack or peel on them sometimes though but if it hasn't happened yet you should be ok.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Guys,

The original poster is not a troll, and this really did happen. This also happened to my 2008 Mustang GT (which is the same exact body as my 2009 Shelby -different hood, but same material, and same contamination problem). The underside of the hood near the front at the crimping point/joint will corrode. This is caused by contamination at the factory. It causes the joint/crimp line to corrode/rust, the paint separates, and paint bubbles occur. When you rub the bubbles, you can feel the corroded/rust flakes of metal underneath the paint. It's caused by iron contamination from the factory.

My 2008 GT was covered under warranty because it was less than 3 years and under 36,000 miles. There are a few threads about it on www.mustangforums.com

Hood Corrosion/rust thread #1

Hood Corrosion/rust thread #2

Hood Corrosion/rust thread #3 with pictures

Hood Corrosion/rust thread #4 with pictures

TSB from Ford

The pictures in the first post of thread #4 is exactly what my black 2008 GT looked like when it corroded/rust.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Besides, our hoods don't rust as they are aluminum.

Arbour88
Most people think of rust in terms of iron and when it rusts it forms iron oxide, the iron combining with the oxygen in the air. And aluminum will form aluminum oxide or aluminum rust. It isn't as bad as iron but it does rust. Just so you know but I don't seem to have any rust on my car, at least above, it looks like something might be trying to develop below. Guess I need a lift so I can get under better to take a look.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Most people think of rust in terms of iron and when it rusts it forms iron oxide, the iron combining with the oxygen in the air. And aluminum will form aluminum oxide or aluminum rust. It isn't as bad as iron but it does rust. Just so you know but I don't seem to have any rust on my car, at least above, it looks like something might be trying to develop below. Guess I need a lift so I can get under better to take a look.
Thanks for quoting me, but I think I covered that in post number 3.

This thread is almost 2 years old and the OP posted 2 posts in total. I'm pretty sure he/she doesn't give a damn.

Arbour88

1 - 18 of 18 Posts