Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2007 Shelby GT500 when it had 12,000 miles on it and was 1 year old. I keep it covered in the garage when I’m not using it. Currently has 21,000 miles on it. I noticed that the hood was starting to rust under the paint, apparently a month before the warranty was up. I had no idea that the warranty was up due to the fact that these cars normally have a 3 year warranty and it wasn’t even fully into it’s 2nd year. When I brought it in for service, I got an oil change and I let the service manager know about the rust. The dealership told me that the warranty had expired a month ago and that Ford wouldn’t cover the repair. I ten contacted the Ford headquarters numerous times, only to be cast aside ad told that it “wasn’t their problem.” I think its ridiculous to buy a $50,000 car and when it has a factory defect-which a Shelby expert told me the rust was-and the same thing has been a problem with Ford products in the passed (the same rusting happened to my 2004 Expedition’s aluminum hood and to my son’s 2006 Mustang). Ford told me that it wasn’t covered and they aren’t gonna fix it. Since it hasn’t rusted through and developed a hole, Ford claims that they aren’t responsible. Buyers beware, not only in purchasing newer Shelbys but Mustangs in general, due to mine and my son’s problem with rusting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to hear about your hood problems. I bought my Mustang GT convertible new 3.5 years ago, and I've had no problems with rust. To my knowledge, no one in my Mustang club with S197 Mustangs have had any rust issues either.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If your Expedition had an aluminum hood it was not rust. Aluminum does not rust. I was under the impression the hoods on the GT500's were also aluminum.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If your Expedition had an aluminum hood it was not rust. Aluminum does not rust. I was under the impression the hoods on the GT500's were also aluminum.
That's right, it will not Rust, it can corrode/oxidize though.

OP: You must have bought a very early 2007. Check for the actual in service date. That is when the warranty starts. My 07 came with a 50,000- 5 year warranty but It’s in-service date is 7/1/07. You need to look in the Warranty booklet for the rust through policy. I think it does have to be Rusted/Corroded through.

Where do you live, what state?

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
They ALL have 5/60 warranties. Mine was built in the first 20 days of production. The original warranty book said 3/36 but they sent an addendum to all owners. Beyond that, there is a rust perforation warranty that's longer. No, it's not rust. It's aluminum. Was this car new? Some had been repaired on the line prior to release. Take this to a zone rep via your service manager.

bj

·
Registered
639 Posts
They ALL have 5/60 warranties. Mine was built in the first 20 days of production. The original warranty book said 3/36 but they sent an addendum to all owners.
Powertrain only, unless you bought an extended warrenty

·
Registered
172 Posts
Where did he go? Did the rust go away? Did Ford fix the amazing rusting aluminum? Was he sure he had a GT500? Who was this mysterious Shelby expert?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I thought only yhe 2010 had aluminum hoods. I could be wrong tho.
My '09 hood may not be aluminum, but whatever it is, a magnet won't stick to it. The magnet will stick to the top and trunk lid though. :pimp:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had an 07 Explorer with an aluminum hood and it did the same thing, paint bubbled up along the leading edge in a couple spots. The dealer said they had a couple others do the same thing. They had it sent out and resprayed.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
I owned a 2008 Bullitt and they had alluminum hoods as well. On the Bullitt website there is a lot of info on this subject. According to the people with the corrosion during 2007 and late 2008 workers at the Ford plant were handling the hoods with bear hands. This would contaminate the hoods and cause corrosion. Ford has admitted to this and changed procedure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The GT500 hoods are alluminum. It says it on the window sticker. To my knowledge...All of the S197 cars have alluminum hoods. My 06 GT was no different either.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I noticed a raised bubble under one of my hood stripes at the grill end of the hood that seems to be eating through the stripe as well. The size of it is about the size of a pimple on a pimple ball. Do they still make those? Am I dating myself? Anyway I washed and waxed the car and that is how I noticed it. I washed and spray waxed the car about three weeks ago and it was not there. Came across this thread doing research and have to wonder if this is the same problem. My car is a 2008. So if it is 5/60 on paint defects Ford should fix it????? I have an appointment with Ford on Thursday it would be good to know before then if I have any recourse. I tried to take a photo of it but it just will not come out good enough even using two different cameras.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts