Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bad news, the 98 degree heat was kicking everyone's butt.
Even with the new Mickey Thompson - 265/40R18 Street Drag Radials @ 20psi traction is still a big problem... :-(

The good news, ZERO wheel hop!
The car did well even in the stifling heat.
It was fun as hell.

Best pass
2.282 60 foot
13.229 seconds
108.27 miles per hour

If there is any interest I have some pretty good pictures I could put up.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Pictures and video please... :stickpoke:

:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Even with the new Mickey Thompson - 265/40R18 Street Drag Radials @ 20psi traction is still a big problem... :-(

It was fun as hell.

Best pass
2.282 60 foot
13.229 seconds
108.27 miles per hour

It sure is some fun...isnt it!
I to have ran a best of 13.2 at 112mph bone stock with the stock gooyear tires...everyone tells me these are 12 second cars bone stock....I beg to differ, in western canada I have not seen a stocker dip into the 12's these are 13 sec runners (with 3-5000ft of air that is)
Have fun!
Installing the evolution stage 2 kit next week and 305 40 18 MT drag slicks, hoping to hit the low 12's or high 11's
My goal is running a best of around the rollbar territory of 11.5 sec, might take the stage 4 evolution kit to do this though.

take care
D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not gotten into the 12's yet, but the power is there. If I could get hooked up I think I could be running the published times.

I am spinning like crazy...

I'm confident, practice and a much cooler day will put me solidly into the 12's...

I'm OK with the 13.99 and under requiring a helmet

I may even do the 12.99 and under required drive shaft loop

But I will not be doing the 11.99 and under full roll cage...

I to have ran a best of 13.2 at 112mph bone stock with the stock gooyear tires...everyone tells me these are 12 second cars bone stock....I beg to differ, in western canada I have not seen a stocker dip into the 12's these are 13 sec runners (with 3-5000ft of air that is)
Have fun!
Installing the evolution stage 2 kit next week and 305 40 18 MT drag slicks, hoping to hit the low 12's or high 11's
My goal is running a best of around the rollbar territory of 11.5 sec, might take the stage 4 evolution kit to do this though.

take care
D

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have not gotten into the 12's yet, but the power is there. If I could get hooked up I think I could be running the published times.
I'm confident, practice and a much cooler day will put me solidly into the 12's...
may even do the 12.99 and under required drive shaft loop
Did you have any decent 60' times? Spinning is followed by bog, and is the worst thing you can do. Better to come off the line like a grandmother so the bog won't pull timing for the rest of the run.

·
Registered
412 Posts

It was fun as hell.

Best pass
2.282 60 foot
13.229 seconds
108.27 miles per hour

Last Friday night I ran twice at a local track. My best run on street tires was 2.22 sixty foot for a 13.0182 1/4 at 114.77. Traction was definitely a problem. Mod is a evolution stage one. On my best run I launched at 1500 RPM's but I hit the rev limiter in second gear and losting a tenth or so. Anyway the car should run in the twelve's with good weather and good track preparation. I do have some drag radials but I have not used them. Anyway run some 12's and keep us posted.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I may even do the 12.99 and under required drive shaft loop

Im not sure on this, maybe someone can chime in and give their opinion, but 20lbs in the slicks seems high to me...I was planning to start at 15lbs, maybe drop to 12lbs...thoughts on this anyone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im not sure on this, maybe someone can chime in and give their opinion, but 20lbs in the slicks seems high to me...I was planning to start at 15lbs, maybe drop to 12lbs...thoughts on this anyone?
That may be true on a 15 inch rim but a low profile tire I'm not sure. I run all day on a 15 inch rim @ 12 psi and no slip. Track prep could also be the problem.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Try 13-15psi.
Turn your traction control off.
Heat your tires....they need it.
Launch around 2500-3000.
Do NOT simply dump the clutch. Progressively hit the throttle while quickly easing the clutch out.
Granny shift it from 1st to 2nd (stay off the limiter)
Speed shift (or whatever you'd like) 2nd-3rd and 3rd to 4th.

On stock tires on an 85 degree day at 600ft MSL my stock car would run high 12's at around 108-110mph.

With a crappy set of DRs (worn out BFGs), a pulley, tune and 3.73s I run mid 11s at 120. I should be low 11s if I could do better than a 1.75 60'.

Practice. These cars have plenty of power. 90% of us can't launch good enough to take advantage of it.

Be safe.

bj

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well there ya go, that is what I was thinking, just couldn't word it as well as you did...

Thanks

FYI:
I have been driving and hot roding, not racing at the drag strip, for a number of decades, I am familiar with easing "slipping" the clutch and launching as quickly as possible without tire spin. Just not with this much power and and the limited traction that comes with it. My second gear shifts are breaking loose all over again. I only hit my rev limiter twice on 7 passes. That is not nearly as much of an issue for me as the launch.

I haven't tried a single pass with the traction control on, it really is counter intuitive.

You can run mid to high 13's with a stock 300 horsepower GT. They are doing it at my track. That extra 200 horsepower more than makes up for the > 400 extra pounds.

My track, I have two to choose from within 40 miles, are under 200 feet above sea level, so elevation is not a problem. But how much of an issue is it with forced induction anyway? I always understood that forced induction eliminated the higher elevation thinner air issue. As I have said, I believe once I get my staging and launch down pat, I will be firmly in the low 12's.

Try 13-15psi.
Launch around 2500-3000.
Do NOT simply dump the clutch. Progressively hit the throttle while quickly easing the clutch out.

On stock tires on an 85 degree day at 600ft MSL my stock car would run high 12's at around 108-110mph.

With a crappy set of DRs (worn out BFGs), a pulley, tune and 3.73s I run mid 11s at 120. I should be low 11s if I could do better than a 1.75 60'.

Practice. These cars have plenty of power. 90% of us can't launch good enough to take advantage of it.

Be safe.

bj

·
Registered
412 Posts
Last Friday night I ran twice at a local track in northeast Louisiana. My best run on street tires was 2.22 sixty foot for a 13.0182 1/4 at 114.77. Traction was definitely a problem. Mod is a evolution stage one. On my best run I launched at 1500 RPM's but I hit the rev limiter in second gear and losting a tenth or so. Anyway the car should run in the twelve's with good weather and good track preparation. I do have some drag radials but I have not used them. Anyway run some 12's and keep us posted.

This is an update. I ran four times with same conditions above. My fastest time on street tires was 12.57. Not to bad for me. I am getting a little better shifting the car and shifting at the best shift point. In some good weather, it should run in the 12.40's or high 12.30's on street tires. Admitted the sixty foots were not that great, but anyway it sure was fun.:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Try 13-15psi.
Launch around 2500-3000.

Be safe.

bj

That is some good data and information. What is your shift points from 1 to second, second to third, and third to fourth please. Your assistance is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
That is some good data and information. What is your shift points from 1 to second, second to third, and third to fourth please. Your assistance is appreciated.

I have my rev limiter set to 6400rpm. The SVT idiot light and buzzer are set to 6,000rpm (I'm getting old so I need a little room for slow reflexes.)

I launch around 3,000-3,500. I have 3.73s so redline in 1st comes quickly. On the 1-2 shift I let off on it and "granny shift" it at 6,000, which really takes it closer to 6,200-6,300. I then speedshift 2-3 and 3-4 at the redline. I hit the lights at about 6200-6300 in 4th.

bj

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have my rev limiter set to 6400rpm. The SVT idiot light and buzzer are set to 6,000rpm (I'm getting old so I need a little room for slow reflexes.)

I launch around 3,000-3,500. I have 3.73s so redline in 1st comes quickly. On the 1-2 shift I let off on it and "granny shift" it at 6,000, which really takes it closer to 6,200-6,300. I then speedshift 2-3 and 3-4 at the redline. I hit the lights at about 6200-6300 in 4th.

bj
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm running stage one with stock tires, the best I could I do was 12.75 at 116 with the traction control on letting if fall on its face and bog. 90 degree night in Bakersfield California a couple of weeks ago. They said the air was around 3,000

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm running stage one with stock tires, the best I could I do was 12.75 at 116 with the traction control on letting if fall on its face and bog. 90 degree night in Bakersfield California a couple of weeks ago. They said the air was around 3,000
Your time is pretty good. What is the elevation of your location. Shift your gears as high RPm's as you can and you can run a little faster. It was about 85 degress when I ran. If I had waited longer during the night, temperature was going down and most likely would have run a little quicker. The stage 1 is impressive. On one run, I had a MPH of 117.

BTW-I did not use the traction control but turned it off. I leave at about 1500 RPM's and gradually apply the throttle. My best sixty foot was 2.16, all of the others were 2.2xx. I have learned to be slow on the start because of the sorry tires and suspension but make it up at the end with the street tires. I set my tire pressure at 20 on rear and 35 on front for street tires.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Have fun!

take care
D
I ran a [email protected] bone stock on stock tires at 25psi. The run was a cold run after the car cooled for 2 hours in the staging lanes. Driving in from the street totally heat soaked the best I could do was [email protected] Just goes to show what heat soak does to these cars.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts