21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
Be safe

·
DFW Shelby Queen!
4,369 Posts
Just saw this on Facebook posted by a reputable friend. For what it’s worth I would check before heading down there.

·
DFW Shelby Queen!
4,369 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

well the above is true. We had our cruise to Mission BBQ in Wilmington today, then on to Myrtle Beach for Musta g Week. Got checked in at our place and went out to the convention center as there was an bunch of stangs there getting Mustang Week tee shirts. All of us went to eat dinner at Outback, then went to cruise the strip Needed gas so stopped at the Exxon on Kings Hwy went in to pay as there was total mess of cars and people outside. When I went in a man standing by the door asked if I was getting gas to leave in the morn. I asked why and he said there was a mandatory evac happening and we had to be gone by noon on monday. Well we went back to the hotel put all of our stuff in the car and left to come back home before the mass rush in the morn. Just got in and unpacked. Mustang Week turned into Mustang Day😬
What a stinking mess this turned out to be! At least we had our lunch at Mission BBQ and we got there just in time for the national anthem which was great, they do that every day at noon! Had a few hours of mustang fun, then dinner with our club, then back on the road home. Now I am waiting to see what the hurricane does here.

·
#1 Mike!
8,631 Posts
Well, crap.. looks like my plans to attend this are impacted, thanks to Dorian.. was really looking forward to this, but am not driving 12 hours into a hurricane. Hoping everyone in the area stays safe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Glad you decided to stay home, Galen! As tall as you are, you'd be an easy mark for flying debris! Thoughts of that gorgeous blue convertible being damaged are not welcome! You'll just have to use the money you saved for Jefferson City, Missouri! I expect to see you there next Spring!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Glad you decided to stay home, Galen! As tall as you are, you'd be an easy mark for flying debris! Thoughts of that gorgeous blue convertible being damaged are not welcome! You'll just have to use the money you saved for Jefferson City, Missouri! I expect to see you there next Spring!
LOL.. this made me laugh.. yes, I am 0 / 2 this year, so 100% plan to be at Shelby fest next year.

We need to make sure the flooding and hurricane switches are turned off for the events in 2020

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Guys coming from the west — make it an epic road trip and hit the Tail of the Dragon, Moonshiner 28, Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc..

Hit me up with a PM if you want specifics on any of those roads. And if the timing is right, I could join you (I’m in ATL) and play tour guide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey, I hear there is a group from the evac Mustang Week running the Dragon tomorrow morn. Did you hear anything about that?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Also hear there is another group from the evacuation going to Charlotte to the Mustang Museum! I am mad now as I have been forced back to work because of the hurrican and can not do either. This sucks😡

·
Registered
324 Posts
I made it all the way to Myrtle Beach after running Tail of the Dragon with my dad. We checked in to our beach front hotel and they told us we had to leave the very next morning, even though I had a 7 day reservation. We "evacuated" the next day, sat in crawling traffic for over 50 miles on a local hwy. Spent the night in ATL with family, then made the Smokey & the Bandit run to Dallas area. Only took me 13 hours and even stopped for a sit down lunch. Below is a pic from the Dragon.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,253 Posts
I made it all the way to Myrtle Beach after running Tail of the Dragon with my dad. We checked in to our beach front hotel and they told us we had to leave the very next morning, even though I had a 7 day reservation. We "evacuated" the next day, sat in crawling traffic for over 50 miles on a local hwy. Spent the night in ATL with family, then made the Smokey & the Bandit run to Dallas area. Only took me 13 hours and even stopped for a sit down lunch. Below is a pic from the Dragon.

View attachment 192600
Sorry you went all that way only to get hosed by Mother Nature Austin, but the time with your dad was priceless!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

View attachment 192600

yup we left Myrtle Beach Sunday night about 2 hours after the Gov announced the evac. We had no problems other than the mad house at the gas stations. Got there at 3pm sunday, left at 11 pm Sunday night and was home by 4 AM Monday morn. Mustang Day! Trying to go back for the Mustang Stampede in Oct and to the Mustang 1969 50 year and at the Mustang Museum in Charlotte the weekend following this one.

·
Registered
324 Posts
They have already announced the dates for next year, 7-13 September. I am probably a little gun shy about making that trip again from TX.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
They have already announced the dates for next year, 7-13 September. I am probably a little gun shy about making that trip again from TX.
Well we are going, going to have a backup plan. There were two large groups of Mustangs that left the evacuation from Myrtle. One group went to Charlotte to the Mustang Museum and one group went to Pigeon Forge to run the Dragon. I went home to go to work to help the Pulp Mill during the hurricane. Next time going on one of the backup plans. With that many Mustangs in town for a week, there will be a backup plan! I would have gone to one of those alternates, but got called to work!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts