Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts
Guilty fanatic here... I’ll take a swing:

The 93 Cobra had a hardened driveshaft yoke to handle the incredible power (235 hp)! :grin:
Nope.. :)

·
Moderator Dude!
28,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well... there must be two differences then. The yoke was hardened on the 93 Cobra, but I cannot find another difference online. I am not at home to check a couple books I have that would most likely answer the question.

So, I surrender! :grin: What is the difference you had in mind?

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts
Give up?? LOL!!!!

This one was admittedly a tough one.. A really tough one. Visually, you could look at both driveshafts and draw the conclusion "they're identical".. But that begs the question, "why did Ford assign a unique part # to the Cobra driveshaft"? F3ZZ-4602-A.

Here's the answer...

After EVERY driveshaft is manufactured, it is spin-balanced.

The freshly made driveshafts vary in how well they balance-out on the first spin, prior to weights being applied.

For the Cobras, SVT "cherry-picked" driveshafts that fell within the upper-5% percentile of that range.

In other words, the best-balanced shafts requiring the least amount of balancing weight (if any) in order to balance were deemed "Cobra" and assigned the F3ZZ-4602-A part #.

Beyond that interesting nugget of knowledge, there is ZERO difference. :)

·
Moderator Dude!
28,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Give up?? LOL!!!!

This one was admittedly a tough one.. A really tough one. Visually, you could look at both driveshafts and draw the conclusion "they're identical".. But that begs the question, "why did Ford assign a unique part # to the Cobra driveshaft"? F3ZZ-4602-A.

Here's the answer...

After EVERY driveshaft is manufactured, it is spin-balanced.

The freshly made driveshafts vary in how well they balance-out on the first spin, prior to weights being applied.

For the Cobras, SVT "cherry-picked" driveshafts that fell within the upper-5% percentile of that range.

In other words, the best-balanced shafts requiring the least amount of balancing weight (if any) in order to balance were deemed "Cobra" and assigned the F3ZZ-4602-A part #.

Beyond that interesting nugget of knowledge, there is ZERO difference. :)
FANTASTIC! :rocker:

When I was creating this thread, I was thinking about all of the knowledge you have shared on this forum through the years... a walking encyclopedia! Thanks for the info. I learned yet another thing from you! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts
Well I'm glad you liked that one, because now I'm plumb out of good trivia ideas!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I’ve learned a few things on this thread. This will be easy for some if you. Try without the help of google...
How many times & what years was a Mustang used as the pace car at the Indy 500?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
The years I can remember right off hand are 1965, 1979 and 1994, there may be more? I recently sold a 1999 SVT calendar that showed those three years and featured the 1994 Cobra pace car..............Has there been any since 1994?

A picture from my archive...........

R

·
Registered
119 Posts
It was the 1964 that the Mustang first pace the Indy 500, then in 1979 & 1994.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The years I can remember right off hand are 1965, 1979 and 1994, there may be more? I recently sold a 1999 SVT calendar that showed those three years and featured the 1994 Cobra pace car..............Has there been any since 1994?

A picture from my archive...........

R
Beautiful car Robert! :surprise:

I have a trivia question that boss knows, since we’ve chatted about it before:

What was the first time FORD put a 6-speed transmission in a Mustang? (Post title Mustangs from Saleen/Roush/Shelby excluded.)

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts
I've been abiding by the no-google rule, but it occurred to me, 1965, 1979 and 1994 is the "easy answer"... BUT...

Those are model-years.

The question was "what years was a Mustang used to pace the Indy 500?"

Did the 1965 convertible pace the 1964 Indy 500? Or the 1965? I think it was the '64...

I think that the '79 Pace car paced in 1979, and I think the '94 paced in 1994.

But I think that technically, the correct answer is 1964, 1979, 1994...

I would ask TedShred to confirm..

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
It was the 1964 that the Mustang first pace the Indy 500, then in 1979 & 1994.
Of course the guy with a screen name “94cobrapace” would get it right!
May of 1964 was the first, only a couple months after the Mustang was released. It was a 1964MY, modified by Holman Moody, using a 289 from the GT40 project, tuned to make 450 HP. The Falcon was scheduled to be the pace car, but the brand new Mustang got the honors instead.
I believe boss is right about MY79 in 1979 & MY94 in 1994.

Seems like Ford would like to get back into Indycar. The current engine formula of TT-V6 is right up their alley. Great way to promote the eco-boost. Then they could have the pace car slot again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I used this info. from a SVT calendar that I recently sold on eBay..........

It ended up that a 1999 Lightning owner wanted that 1999 SVT calendar for his collection - $45

I did not look deeply into the 1964.5 and 1965 thing............

R

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
I used this info. from a SVT calendar that I recently sold on eBay..........

It ended up that a 1999 Lightning owner wanted that 1999 SVT calendar for his collection - $45

I did not look deeply into the 1964.5 and 1965 thing............

R

Amazed that it is not uncommon to see a 1979 pace on the road. Typically looks like they were someone's DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a trivia question that boss knows, since we’ve chatted about it before:

What was the first time FORD put a 6-speed transmission in a Mustang? (Post title Mustangs from Saleen/Roush/Shelby excluded.)
2000 Cobra R had a 6 speed, Should be the first year for 6 speed.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts