·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Well, the article took me to some nice pictures of a Bullitt Mustang ..... coooooool ..... better start saving my pennies. :)

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
I hope they don't whiff on the styling and wheels like they did on the 03-04...

I'm selfishly a little annoyed that the Mach 1 is returning, if it is returning, because I own the very last 2004 to roll off the assembly line. So as of now, up to now, it's the "last Mach 1".

You win some you lose some LOL.. ;)

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'm selfishly a little annoyed that the Mach 1 is returning, if it is returning, because I own the very last 2004 to roll off the assembly line. So as of now, up to now, it's the "last Mach 1".

The problem with the 03-04 Mach 1 was the 03-04 Cobra. Had the Cobra not been there to steal the limelight, the Mach 1 would have been better received. Flash forward 18 years and we will now have a Mach 1 getting its limelight stolen from the Shelby GT500. The one potential big difference depending on the price point for the Mach 1 is the GT500 could be considerably more expensive, which would help Mach 1 sales.

I do agree with you on the 03-04 styling though... having said that, the shaker hood was a cool feature.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts

That's a pretty cool memento, so-to-speak.

Admittedly, I've always had a soft spot for the Mach 1 and loathed for an Azure Blue. I did love the look of the Shaker hood popping out the top. I've never driven one, and I'm sure they are incredibly lacking, comparatively speaking, in power. However, they've always "done something" for me.

Personally, I'd buy a Mach 1 before a Cobra, purely due to price and my "Return on Purchase".

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
The 03-04 Mach 1, from an engine and chassis-tuning standpoint, was a brilliant job. They really pulled a lot more grunt and low-end "snap" out of the n/a 4.6 4V, and the chassis tuning was also likewise crisp and direct. That all was a good job. Funny, the secret to the extra torque in the Mach 1 4.6 was a step-up in compression ratio, combined with intake camshafts sourced from Lincoln's 5.4 Liter "InTech" V8. So Ford dipped into the Lincoln parts bin to give the Mach more zip!

And the shaker, of course, was the bee's knees..

But they failed on the hood treatment (should've been mostly-black a la 1969 Mach 1), the lower rocker stripe (lame) and most definitely the wheel/tire package (they are the dorkiest attempt at a Magnum 500 wheel ever, the cars look like a chicken roosted on top of a roller skate).

We've discussed it all before. George Huisman at Classic Design Concepts took a 2003 Mach 1, and "fixed it", and THAT car was stunning.. Had that been the car that Ford dropped onto showroom floors, they would have sold 5-times as many.

The last Mach 1 is Azure Blue, which is indeed a stunning color. It was ordered by the Dearborn Assembly Plant Manager, and he photo-documented the entire build, from the welding-up of the substructure (all robotic in that area, and staff is not allowed to be in there when the robots are welding, but he went in there and photographed the process anyhow), the whole way down the line. And every worker who touched the car, signed two posters (it took two posters, because so many signatures). The car was built to Ford's "Show Car" standard, which was an internal build-standard that you needed connections to get. It includes a hand-sanded/rubbed paint finish, so the Azure Blue really pops. It was the only production Mach 1 that did not get carried away from the factory on a transporter, Roush picked it up and delivered it directly to the Plant Manager's house. Pretty neat little car, even though it might not be "the last" after all. I even got the locating/installation tool used on the assembly line for the "Mach 1" decklid emblem, the only one extant. You look at how robust and precise the tool is, just to stick an emblem on, and you realize how much goes into every aspect of building these cars..

OK, enough of this hijackery, when will we see some PHOTOS of the 2021 Mach?? :)

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
The 03-04 Mach 1, from an engine and chassis-tuning standpoint, was a brilliant job. They really pulled a lot more grunt and low-end "snap" out of the n/a 4.6 4V, and the chassis tuning was also likewise crisp and direct. That all was a good job. Funny, the secret to the extra torque in the Mach 1 4.6 was a step-up in compression ratio, combined with intake camshafts sourced from Lincoln's 5.4 Liter "InTech" V8. So Ford dipped into the Lincoln parts bin to give the Mach more zip!

And the shaker, of course, was the bee's knees..

But they failed on the hood treatment (should've been mostly-black a la 1969 Mach 1), the lower rocker stripe (lame) and most definitely the wheel/tire package (they are the dorkiest attempt at a Magnum 500 wheel ever, the cars look like a chicken roosted on top of a roller skate).

We've discussed it all before. George Huisman at Classic Design Concepts took a 2003 Mach 1, and "fixed it", and THAT car was stunning.. Had that been the car that Ford dropped onto showroom floors, they would have sold 5-times as many.

The last Mach 1 is Azure Blue, which is indeed a stunning color. It was ordered by the Dearborn Assembly Plant Manager, and he photo-documented the entire build, from the welding-up of the substructure (all robotic in that area, and staff is not allowed to be in there when the robots are welding, but he went in there and photographed the process anyhow), the whole way down the line. And every worker who touched the car, signed two posters (it took two posters, because so many signatures). The car was built to Ford's "Show Car" standard, which was an internal build-standard that you needed connections to get. It includes a hand-sanded/rubbed paint finish, so the Azure Blue really pops. It was the only production Mach 1 that did not get carried away from the factory on a transporter, Roush picked it up and delivered it directly to the Plant Manager's house. Pretty neat little car, even though it might not be "the last" after all. I even got the locating/installation tool used on the assembly line for the "Mach 1" decklid emblem, the only one extant. You look at how robust and precise the tool is, just to stick an emblem on, and you realize how much goes into every aspect of building these cars..

OK, enough of this hijackery, when will we see some PHOTOS of the 2021 Mach?? :)
Sounds like this is the car I'd want if I was in the collector's realm. I'd consider it the dream 2000's Mach 1.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 performance white
702 Posts
Wish I still had my '03 Mach 1, it was the half year production color: Dark Shadow Gray, therefore productions numbers were the lowest of any Mach 1 produced...if my memory serves me right. Interested as to what the new Mach will comprise of...2 ponies in the garage?

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
I used to have an employee/friend who bought a Dark Shadow Gray Mach 1 new. He absolutely loved the car. Put headers on it, and really woke the sucker up, put it in the 12's..

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
The last Mach 1 is Azure Blue, which is indeed a stunning color.
..... what happened to 'pictures or it didn't happen' on this Forum ???.... LOL :)

pictures ... pictures ... pictures ... pictures ....

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
..... what happened to 'pictures or it didn't happen' on this Forum ???.... LOL :)

pictures ... pictures ... pictures ... pictures ....
Geez, alright then, y'know I actually do have work to do from time to time.. ;) LOL

I swear, this fancy new Samsung 10+ takes more out-of-focus pictures than it does focused... Been fighting this phone in all aspects since day-1..

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
May I request to be the beneficiary of that car, please?

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Geez, alright then, y'know I actually do have work to do from time to time.. ;) LOL

I swear, this fancy new Samsung 10+ takes more out-of-focus pictures than it does focused... Been fighting this phone in all aspects since day-1.. View attachment 198556
Thank you very much for the pics!! .... looks like the Boss9 parked behind it ?? Almost looks like a showroom floor ... nice setup!!

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
Thank you very much for the pics!! .... looks like the Boss9 parked behind it ?? Almost looks like a showroom floor ... nice setup!!
No, that's my Acapulco Blue 1969 Mach 1 behind it.. I've had it since 1992, and it served a couple of stints as my daily-driver during the 90's. It is a showroom, I keep a few cars up front on display at my business. Not for sale or anything like that, just displayed..

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GT500
466 Posts
Hey 69bossnine, when you say "at my business" what exactly do you mean? Because I recognize that place and I suspect that its somewhere I have been many times. Not to give too much information so you can keep your privacy, but is it in a town that is also home to a store with the Swedish meatballs?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey 69bossnine, when you say "at my business" what exactly do you mean? Because I recognize that place and I suspect that its somewhere I have been many times. Not to give too much information so you can keep your privacy, but is it in a town that is also home to a store with the Swedish meatballs?
It works best to quote someone’s post or using our mention feature by putting an “@“ in front of their screen name. That way they get an alert so they know someone is looking for a reply.

·
Registered
2014 GT500
466 Posts
Thanks, Tim!

I see that he is located in Florida.....the car is on display at a National Parts Depot and it looks exactly like the showroom in the location near me in Canton, Michigan. I thought maybe he was local.

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,446 Posts
I miss my Mach1. Long Tubes, K&N Cold Air, FR 500 cams, Mac Exhaust, 3.73 gears. Sounded great and ran well. Not the Shelby, but it was a fun car. My daughter was very sad the day I traded it. It was the car she grew up in. Also in the Pic my 2013 Focus ST. First of 500 built.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts