Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Think it would be good idea, wish I still had my 2003 Mach 1 to go along with the Shelby, oh well.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Nice, but "we expect the new Mach 1 will deliver around 500-600 horsepower" is an extremely wide margin of guessing.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Interesting question for sure...
I'm thinking this rounds out their tree a bit.

Mustang GT - solid affordable all around performance
Mustang GT performance pack 2 - affordable track day performance - GT power with GT350 handling

Mustang Mach 1 - affordable street/strip performance - 500-600hp - maybe a low level Roush blower on a GT with GT suspension

Shelby GT350 - high performance expensive track weapon
Shelby GT500 - High performance expensive street/strip weapon
Shelby GT350R - Max performance NA track weapon
Shelby GT500 CFTP - Max performance all around weapon

Or it could simply be the Bullit drivetrain with a different exterior package packing the same 480hp but with a shaker hood scoop or something.

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,529 Posts
Maybe the 500-600 hp is a tricked-out N/A version of the cross-plane 5.2L... If Ford does the Mach 1 again, I hope they do a better job with the styling package and wheels. For me (and it's probably just me), the 03-04 Mach 1 was an epic failure in the looks department.. George Huisman of Classic Design Concepts built the only 03-04 Mach 1 that I've ever been fond of..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I don't know how much more "tricked out" it could get NA. I mean the Voodoo was built to make hp via revs and already is running 12:1 compression on 93 octane. You can get them up to about 500whp with headers, intake, and a tune on E85, but that's still only about 560 hp at the crank. Cross plane or flat plane, I'd be really surprised if they can squeeze more out of the 5.2 without throwing boost at it and still have it be 50 state legal on pump gas.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Maybe the 3.5L Ecoboost?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe the 500-600 hp is a tricked-out N/A version of the cross-plane 5.2L... If Ford does the Mach 1 again, I hope they do a better job with the styling package and wheels. For me (and it's probably just me), the 03-04 Mach 1 was an epic failure in the looks department.. George Huisman of Classic Design Concepts built the only 03-04 Mach 1 that I've ever been fond of.. View attachment 194834
I am a New Edge fan and I do like the shaker hood, but I agree... the Mach 1 could have been much more. The wheels did nothing for the car. Side exhaust like your picture above would have been excellent! I think the problem may have been all the focus and attention on the Terminator.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I am a New Edge fan and I do like the shaker hood, but I agree... the Mach 1 could have been much more. The wheels did nothing for the car. Side exhaust like your picture above would have been excellent! I think the problem may have been all the focus and attention on the Terminator.
The Mach 1 was truly a parts bin frankenstein other than the shaker hood scoop.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Back in 03-04, Saleen ruled my world of Mustang styling. The only thing they got right was the Shaker hood.

·
Premium Member
6,529 Posts
It was the wheels, and the stance, that was the worst part. Car looked dorky instead of cool. And the adoption of the 1970-style center hood stripe just didn't gel with the new-edge. The rocker stripe was pretty lame too..

Yep, other than the shaker hood, it looked like 1969-1970 Mach 1's nerdy second cousin..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts