Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
09 mustang shelby gt500
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Mustang GT that I bought at a VW dealership back in 2018, when I ran the vin number on different sites online it show up as a Mustang Shelby coupe, I even had the Ford dealership look up the vin number and they told me it was probably a Shelby coupe, they told that alot of the 08 mustang gts were pre- titled as shelbys but were never sent out to shelby american, mine is vista blue with the stripes and the stripes on the rocker panel with the gt350, does anyone have any info about the 08 gts being pre-titled as shelby coupes?

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
102 Posts
Hello, fellow Texan! As far as I know...
A GT500 vin will reflect that it’s a Shelby.
A Shelby GT vin will reflect that it’s a Mustang GT. Shelby American will have a registry that links that VIN to a CSM number which would have been on the car somewhere.
So if it was a Shelby GT, the vin should say Mustang GT. If it’s a GT500, it should say Shelby. You have a very odd situation, indeed.

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
102 Posts
Another thing you can do is go to Shelby.com and make an account. Add your vehicles to the registry. When you attempt to add the 08 VIN, it should reject it if it’s not really a Shelby or accept it if it is.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,407 Posts
I have an 08 Mustang GT that I bought at a VW dealership back in 2018, when I ran the vin number on different sites online it show up as a Mustang Shelby coupe, I even had the Ford dealership look up the vin number and they told me it was probably a Shelby coupe, they told that alot of the 08 mustang gts were pre- titled as shelbys but were never sent out to shelby american, mine is vista blue with the stripes and the stripes on the rocker panel with the gt350, does anyone have any info about the 08 gts being pre-titled as shelby coupes?
Please post some pics of the car. You can use the paper clip or rectangle icons in your reply window.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
Please post some pics of the car. You can use the paper clip or rectangle icons in your reply window.
Yes, please do. Your description has a lot going on.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
09 mustang shelby gt500
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing you can do is go to Shelby.com and make an account. Add your vehicles to the registry. When you attempt to add the 08 VIN, it should reject it if it’s not really a Shelby or accept it if it is.
Thanks for the info I'll try Shelby.com, when I bought the car the salesman told me that they could not confirm if it was an actual Shelby and was being sold as is, I bought because it was in good condition and seem to be well kept, I was just wondering if this was one of the Gts that didn't get sent to Shelby American but still kept the Shelby name.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,407 Posts
Thanks for the info I'll try Shelby.com, when I bought the car the salesman told me that they could not confirm if it was an actual Shelby and was being sold as is, I bought because it was in good condition and seem to be well kept, I was just wondering if this was one of the Gts that didn't get sent to Shelby American but still kept the Shelby name.
We are visual creatures... pictures please!

·
Registered
09 mustang shelby gt500
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the delay in posting the pictures I work night and have been really busy, here's some pictures of both of my mustangs, the red one is definitely an 09 Shelby GT500 the blue one is an 08 GT .

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
That is screaming "home made GT350 tribute"

The Shelby GT models all had the "SHELBY" lettering centered across the trunklid and didn't use the GT500 style rear spoiler. They also weren't labeled as GT350's. What you have there appears to be a 2008 Mustang GT with some comonly available badges and stickers.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
What’s up with that T-bird? Is there something nasty under the hood???? I see a cage, shift light, massive tach.

·
Registered
09 mustang shelby gt500
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I heard that too and have seen pictures of them as well, also heard that all of the 08 gt350s were vista blue with silver stripes, I didn't think this one was an actual Shelby, what I was wondering about was why it comes up as a Shelby coupe when you look up the vin number.
What’s up with that T-bird? Is there something nasty under the hood???? I see a cage, shift light, massive tach.
That's an 85 T-bird with a 5.8 windsor in it, c4 trans and nitours, I build it back in 2000 when I was stationed in Virginia with the Army.

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
83 Posts
Well if the vin comes up as shelby then finish the transition and make it one, take off the gt badges Lol

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Yes I heard that too and have seen pictures of them as well, also heard that all of the 08 gt350s were vista blue with silver stripes, I didn't think this one was an actual Shelby, what I was wondering about was why it comes up as a Shelby coupe when you look up the vin number.

That's an 85 T-bird with a 5.8 windsor in it, c4 trans and nitours, I build it back in 2000 when I was stationed in Virginia with the Army.
Where are you seeing it come up as a Shelby? There were no pre-title Shelby's built in 2008 other than the GT500. The rest are all Post title and will have a CSM number on the dashboard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts