2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have these in your local area? Ran across this on FB:

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Base/Handling Pack/HVAC Seats/Carbon Dash/Vinyl Stripes
48 Posts
Haven't seen any yet, but I'll ask my pal's up at the MSP Post. They get the best toys and get to drive them at their limit on a regular basis.

The old notchback fox body Mustang 5.0's looked really good decked out in police cruiser gear.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,724 Posts
Anyone have these in your local area? Ran across this on FB:

View attachment 218676
I've not seen any Mustangs regularly used for LE since the mid 80's. There have been a few jurisdictions, such as the one pictured, that still use them for special service requirements, sparingly. Most governmental agencies, who hold the purse strings, won't approve their purchase. They usually only purchase police package vehicles. They sure make good pursuit vehicles!

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,395 Posts
I've not seen any Mustangs regularly used for LE since the mid 80's. There have been a few jurisdictions, such as the one pictured, that still use them for special service requirements, sparingly. Most governmental agencies, who hold the purse strings, won't approve their purchase. They usually only purchase police package vehicles. They sure make good pursuit vehicles!
KY & OH State Patrol still had one or two of the Foxes hanging around until a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
2013 GT500 SVTPP 2003 Oxford white cobra coupe, 2003 cobra coupe black, 1988 Foxbody Notch 5.0
31 Posts
Down here in Florida we have a couple. However they’re undercover for the most part. Darker tint, Silver, no Yellow Plate. Didn’t see the holographic badges on the side. However the Dodge Charger’s for FHP has some with the Hidden Holographics. I’m sure I’ll see one behind me eventually during my spirited drive homes.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Rapid Red / 2020 GT350 Wimbledon White
99 Posts
I'm assuming that is Gilford County in North Carolina?

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 performance white
989 Posts
Would definitely be a recruiting took if a department had them as their entire fleet. Then, the chase is on.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
557 Posts
I see most in SUVs nowadays, although occasionally I see a sedan of some type sitting in the median of the highway.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
941 Posts
Haven't seen any around here in a long time.

When I was younger there were several Mustangs and Camaro cop cars around our area --- I was told they were all seized drug bust cars.
However, a few years ago my neighbor said they weren't allowed to do that anymore and he got to destroy them for training (bomb squad).

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,724 Posts
I see most in SUVs nowadays, although occasionally I see a sedan of some type sitting in the median of the highway.
The primary manufacturers who provide police package vehicles all have a police package available for their SUV's and even pick-up trucks. I've never been in agreement with that move, (I think sedans are safer) but many departments want them for additional room, foul weather, and even going off road, if necessary. The sedans handle far better, but the manufacturers are eliminating sedans at an alarming rate. Like you, I see lots of SUV's being utilized by LE agencies.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
The primary manufacturers who provide police package vehicles all have a police package available for their SUV's and even pick-up trucks. I've never been in agreement with that move, (I think sedans are safer) but many departments want them for additional room, foul weather, and even going off road, if necessary. The sedans handle far better, but the manufacturers are eliminating sedans at an alarming rate. Like you, I see lots of SUV's being utilized by LE agencies.
Chargers are very popular around here.
I see the occasional SUV, but those are usually sheriff (and fire)

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,724 Posts
Chargers are very popular around here.
I see the occasional SUV, but those are usually sheriff (and fire)
Yes the Dodge Charger PP is still on the market. The Ford Taurus PP is a very good police vehicle and our dept. uses them as well as the Chargers. Unfortunately, many of the cruisers are now getting long in the tooth ( mileage) and Ford no longer produces the Taurus. Many departments will be forced into purchasing SUVs or buying the Chargers. The officers still bemoan the loss of the Crown Vic which was a strong and reliable car.

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,377 Posts
There is one in Myrtle Beach! They use it to catch Mustang s doing goofy stuff during Mustang Week! It is black and heavy tinted windows. He would drive up beside you at a tragic light, rev the engine, then pull you over when you dropped the hammer off the light! Buddy of mine took the bait last year😮

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Our local Police and Sherriff both rely heavily on the Explorer PP. FHP has both marked, and un-marked, Challengers roaming the interstate. The un-marked ones, I'm certain, are used to sucker-in unwitting performance car owners into racing on the highway tickets.

Reactions: DKnight and Goose17

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,724 Posts
I can't speak for all departments; however, I have some doubts about the accuracy of the alleged practice of using unmarked police cars like Mustangs or Challengers (Rick, did you mean Chargers?) to entrap other vehicles into racing with them by racing their engines at a stoplight or trying to lure a person into racing with them on the roadway. I would not want to be the police officer who has to explain that behavior to a district court judge and later on, Internal Affairs. You can bet that initial entrapment practice would be testified to by the operator who received the ticket!! That action reeks of entrapment, and as such it would be illegal in almost every State. I'm not so naïve to believe this could not happen, as all professions have their occasional bad apples, but I believe this described skullduggery is factually very rare. The majority of LEO would not put their testimonial credibility and careers on the line for a traffic ticket. I never, in my 32 years of service, saw or heard of a citizen accusing any of our officers of that specific behavior; and we use a variety of unmarked traffic units.
Oftentimes these allegations are a result of the ticket recipient complaining to a friend, who told a friend, who told another friend, etc. More times than not, LEO's are accused of improper behavior, not out of accuracy, but because the offender is irked that they got caught, or their lack of respect for the officer and what he represents.

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,377 Posts
I can't speak for all departments; however, I have some doubts about the accuracy of the alleged practice of using unmarked police cars like Mustangs or Challengers (Rick, did you mean Chargers?) to entrap other vehicles into racing with them by racing their engines at a stoplight or trying to lure a person into racing with them on the roadway. I would not want to be the police officer who has to explain that behavior to a district court judge and later on, Internal Affairs. You can bet that initial entrapment practice would be testified to by the operator who received the ticket!! That action reeks of entrapment, and as such it would be illegal in almost every State. I'm not so naïve to believe this could not happen, as all professions have their occasional bad apples, but I believe this described skullduggery is factually very rare. The majority of LEO would not put their testimony credibility and careers on the line for a traffic ticket. I never, in my 32 years of service, saw or heard of a citizen accusing any of our officers of that specific behavior; and we use a variety of unmarked traffic units.
Oftentimes these allegations are a result of the ticket recipient complaining to a friend, who told a friend, who told another friend, etc. More times than not, LEO's are accused of improper behavior, not out of accuracy, but because the offender is irked that they got caught, or their lack of respe
It is true I did not witness this myself and was told by my buddy that that is what happened, he could have made it up. What I do know is that there is a black s550 mustang with completely dark tinted windows that is Myrtle Beach LEO, I have seen it with vehicles pulled over. It is well known by the Mustang peeps that attend mustang week. If or not the people that were pulled over by it were Enticed by it or not, don't know, only know what I was told by many.Second hand as you said. Could be exactly as you said, just bad mouthing from the people that got tickets. Been going to Mustang Week for many years and have had experience with the SC HYW Patrol and the Horry County Sheriff officers, all polite and profesional. Can not say the same for Myrtle Beach Law Enforcement. I use my wife as a reference for the interactions we have witnessed with Myrtle Beach Law Enforcement as her father was law enforcement. She does not have a very high view of that dept in general with what we both have seen. LEO's have a double tough job now with all of the extra crap going on, so I take the negative stuff I hear with allot of caution and disbelief . But my wife thinks that there is something to worry about with that dept, and she is super by the book and ultra pro Law Enforcement. Her father was Roger Fulford, killed in the line of duty and now a name on the Peace Officers Memorial in DC.
RIP Deputy Roger Fulford Pamlico County NC.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,724 Posts
I agree, and thanks for the courteous response. I know Ocean City, Md. PD does not have a sterling reputation, either. Not sure if they still do this, but years ago they utilized volunteer officers for the summer influx of large crowds. Not a great idea, in my opinion, but their small force was just overwhelmed. As you so rightly said, the summer crowds can be a real PITA for the police due to partying, drinking, drug usage, fights..,.,you name it! Not a great venue for anyone entrusted with LE. I'm sure Myrtle Beach is the same. So sorry to hear of your wife's father's death in the line of duty. The ultimate sacrifice. I have several good friends that are memorialized at the POM is D.C. It's a sobering memorial to visit. Law enforcement is a difficult job, especially in today's tense atmosphere and media hype. I've witnessed the personal and family sacrifices these men and women make that oftentimes go unnoticed and unrecognized by the general public. Your wife can speak volumes about that subject and what she personally experienced. Bless her and give her my kindest regards.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
I can't speak for all departments; however, I have some doubts about the accuracy of the alleged practice of using unmarked police cars like Mustangs or Challengers (Rick, did you mean Chargers?) to entrap other vehicles into racing with them by racing their engines at a stoplight or trying to lure a person into racing with them on the roadway. I would not want to be the police officer who has to explain that behavior to a district court judge and later on, Internal Affairs. You can bet that initial entrapment practice would be testified to by the operator who received the ticket!! That action reeks of entrapment, and as such it would be illegal in almost every State. I'm not so naïve to believe this could not happen, as all professions have their occasional bad apples, but I believe this described skullduggery is factually very rare. The majority of LEO would not put their testimonial credibility and careers on the line for a traffic ticket. I never, in my 32 years of service, saw or heard of a citizen accusing any of our officers of that specific behavior; and we use a variety of unmarked traffic units.
Oftentimes these allegations are a result of the ticket recipient complaining to a friend, who told a friend, who told another friend, etc. More times than not, LEO's are accused of improper behavior, not out of accuracy, but because the offender is irked that they got caught, or their lack of respect for the officer and what he represents.
I know the drug captured Camaro I referred to would do similar. Would encourage the race, then pull you over. But wouldn't ticket you, just warn you against raising to the bait and then let you go --- unless you were an ******* to him after being stopped. I never viewed it as entrapment or harassment, but I had friends that did.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,724 Posts
I know the drug captured Camaro I referred to would do similar. Would encourage the race, then pull you over. But wouldn't ticket you, just warn you against raising to the bait and then let you go --- unless you were an *** to him after being stopped. I never viewed it as entrapment or harassment, but I had friends that did.
It is entrapment. Can you imagine the legal repercussions for the officer and his/her department if that encouraging action was taken by the officer, and as a result, the violator crashed or hurt someone else? Talk about a law suite! If the person does not have a pre-disposition to disobey the law and the officer encourages it by his/her overt actions, then you've got a prima facia case. As I said before, it could happen, but the legal ramifications that officer would face, would be staggering. Hence my belief that this behavior is very rare.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
It is entrapment. Can you imagine the legal repercussions for the officer and his/her department if that encouraging action was taken by the officer, and as a result, the violator crashed or hurt someone else? Talk about a law suite! If the person does not have a pre-disposition to disobey the law and the officer encourages it by his/her overt actions, then you've got a prima facia case. As I said before, it could happen, but the legal ramifications that officer would face, would be staggering. Hence my belief that this behavior is very rare.
That makes sense --- didn't think about it like that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts