Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know several from Team Shelby and while I spend most of my time over there I am electing to post this info on this site.

Those of you that know me know that I blew my engine at the Shelby Birthday Bash. While poor gas and an aggressive tune were contributing factors there may be another contributing factor that I am looking at and when I have more info I will post later. But for now I thought I would share some information about my project, which I have dubbed code name PHOENIX.

Note: Up to this point I have kept pretty quiet about my plans and was torn on whether to post this or not. I decided to go ahead and post up so that some of you may benefit based on the experience. I am at a point where I am a bit nervous regarding whether the build will turn out as planned, but sharing the experience, good or bad, for me is part of it so let the adventure begin!

So that everyone knows what I am starting with here are my current mods...
---------------------------------------
Tires - Nitto Drag Radials (Better traction)

Drive Shaft - Powerhouse 4 inch aluminum DS (Handle up to 1000 HP)

Rear Suspension – (eliminate wheel hop and help with launching)
  • BMR Upper Control Arm
  • BMR Lower Control Arms
  • BMR LCA Relocation Brackets
  • BMR Swaybar Relocation Brackets
  • QA1 adjustable rear shocks
Power - Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger with 3 inch pulley (Added ~300 RWHP)

Line Lock -Granatelli Tire Fryer Line Lock (heat tires up at the track without burning up clutch)

Shifter - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter (better shifting performance - less missed shifts)

Exhaust - FRPP GT5 Axle Back Race Mufflers (Makes the car sound like it should with 700+ RWHP)

Rear Differential
  • 3.73 FRPP Gears (15% more torque above stock 3:31 gears)
  • Eaton Positive Traction Unit (eliminate loss of power through differential slippage)
Instrumentation
  • Speed of Sound Dash 3 Gauge Cluster
  • Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge
  • Autometer Cobalt Air Fuel Gauge
  • Autometer Cobalt Fuel Pressure Gauge
---------------------------------------

Now for the rebuild....

PROJECT PHOENIX

BUILD OBJECTIVES - My goal is to have a true 10 second street/strip cruiser with all around functionality including being able to drive long distances or cruises, drive on closed track or on drag strip. Some would say that my car had it in it to begin with, and that is probably true (I most likely am the weak link). However there is work that needs to be done on the suspension and chassis in order for me to realize it. I will address some of these issues once I get it back on the road (PHOENIX - Phase II) but for now, since I am going through a rebuild, there are several things I hope to address.

DETAILS
  • Push the envelope with 800 street HP / 700 ft.lbs. torque
  • Able to run on 93 Octane (plus Torco for added safety)
  • Race capable on higher octane pushing 1000 HP / 900 ft lbs torque
  • Give expansion for future power adders if desired
IMPROVEMENTS OVER CURRENT SETUP

Bottom End
  • Eagle 4340 rods and Diamond pistons
Fuel System
  • Evolution billet fuel rails
  • 75 lb injectors
Breathing
  • Ford GT cams (supposedly slightly better torque across the board but not much)
  • American Racing Headers – 1¾ with offroad X pipe - Hot Jet coated to reduce temps in engine compartment and aid in evacuation of exhaust from cylinder chambers. (+20 HP/ +15ft lbs torque – debated) and better heat dissipation.
Cooling
  • Killer Chiller – intercooler inlet temps of approx 45 degrees to cool inlet charge and abate heat soak.
Boost
  • Change to IW lower 10% pulley and 3 ¼ inch upper (+30 HP / +40 Torque)
Track accommodations
  • 6 point roll bar with removable front struts and bar behind the seat.

I will post more about various aspects of the build in the upcoming days. This should give everyone a pretty good idea of the direction I am heading. Also so everyone knows where I am in the project, the engine is built and will be installed in the next week or so. Roll bar will be installed this next week as well. Stay tuned for more info!

MrFarmdog

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
John,
I am glad it's all coming together for you.Sounds like it is going to be a beast.Thanks for letting us be part of your adventure.I hope to see you,Steph and Phoenix when all is said and done.Good luck bud..............FRED....................

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me John. I see that you have upgraded the rods too. Did you have any problems with the OEM rods or was it just a burned piston ?

Also are you not going with a pair of high flo race cats ?
Is the x pipe a 3" pipe ?

This engine needs all the help it can get in the exhaust dept at that level (anything over 605 rwhp IMO)of performance. If the cams open the exhaust with more lift that will help. Obviously the headers will make all the difference along with a 3" X pipe to reduce back presure and thus reduce cyl temps also. All this will help to prevent detonation while keeping the HP and torque constant across the power band.

FYI.. I have a rather conservitive tune (no agressive timing )in my car with the TVS and I still have about a 10% cushion on the stock injectors . Mine makes 665 RWHP and 664RWT with 93 octane at only 14.6 lbs of boost max....a testament to the LT headers and 3" exhaust. My IAT's where only 114* after two pulls. AF was a very conservitive 11.4 @ the top . I will not be drag racing it but will be road coursing it from time to time. To be honest this is way more power than I need or want for open track use. My search for a good sticky track tire has begun.

Thanks for sharing your plans with us here John it will be exciting to follow your progress.

George......

·
Registered
4 Posts
That Sounds Great Wish You Luck I Am Sure You Will Reach The Numbers You Are Looking For. I Have Done Similiar And My Only Dissapointment On The Street Level Is Keeping A Good Handling And Nice Riding Car I Am Very Interested On How You Are Going To Modify Your Suspension To Have The Best Of Both Worlds. Good Luck And Keep Us Posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for sharing John, looks like you will be back on the street soon. I was sorry to here what happened, especially after loosing a tire on the way to Vegas then that! I was wondering like George if it was problem with OEM rods or burned piston. I am happy to hear you wil be back on the road.:)
Chuck

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi John, Sounds like the Phoenix is beginning to rise again :) Going to be a beast for sure. Good luck, keep us posted. Tell Steph hello from TX.

·
Registered
451 Posts
[QUOTE Track accommodations
  • 6 point roll bar with removable front struts and bar behind the seat.

MrFarmdog[/QUOTE]

Where, Who is supplying this? I've been looking for one.

·
Registered
2008 Red Super Snake, 2019 Mustang GT
315 Posts
Sounds like a sweet project!

Glad to hear that your going to get it going again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like a good plan to me John. I see that you have upgraded the rods too. Did you have any problems with the OEM rods or was it just a burned piston ?
Pistons 7 and 8 were toast. Melted through. No problem with the rods. The problem was detonation due to 91 octane with a 3 inch pully and an aggresive tune (KB tune for 3 inch pulley). When I traveled out to Vegas I had no idea that I could not get 93 octane West of Dallas. I claim all fault for hurting my baby. After reading through the KB instructions it is very clear to run only 93 and carry octane booster as well. It is what it is and I am past that part. It was an expensive lesson and I am making the most from it and moving on to bigger and better things. Like I said there may have been another contributing factor but I am not done with my research. I will post more on that later.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Pistons 7 and 8 were toast. Melted through. No problem with the rods. The problem was detonation due to 91 octane with a 3 inch pully and an aggresive tune (KB tune for 3 inch pulley). When I traveled out to Vegas I had no idea that I could not get 93 octane West of Dallas. I claim all fault for hurting my baby. After reading through the KB instructions it is very clear to run only 93 and carry octane booster as well. It is what it is and I am past that part. It was an expensive lesson and I am making the most from it and moving on to bigger and better things. Like I said there may have been another contributing factor but I am not done with my research. I will post more on that later.
I guess it's a good idea to keep a couple of cans of Torco in the trunk then when traveling.

Would a local Autozone type place sell that ?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I guess it's a good idea to keep a couple of cans of Torco in the trunk then when traveling.

I might be wrong, but I think Torco has "Authorized Resellers". You can find out where to get it from their site. It looks like 2 places in CT. One in Cromwell, one in Wallingford.

I can't find any near me. I wonder if another brand would work as well?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might be wrong, but I think Torco has "Authorized Resellers". You can find out where to get it from their site. It looks like 2 places in CT. One in Cromwell, one in Wallingford.

I can't find any near me. I wonder if another brand would work as well?
I believe you can order it from Fred at Evolution as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Also just my opinion but for those out there running a 3 inch pulley on a KB I would consider adding a bottle of torco to each tank as a safety measure. The quality of gas varies and our cars have no knock sensors.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
John, good to hear things are going well on the rebuild...it was an honor being followed by you last year in Hermann.

Now, I have a question...why aren't you making very many mods? You like the stock feel of the car?

(sarcasm at it's finest).

P.S. Will you be in Hermann next weekend?

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thats Gonna Be Awesome..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John, good to hear things are going well on the rebuild...it was an honor being followed by you last year in Hermann.

Now, I have a question...why aren't you making very many mods? You like the stock feel of the car?

(sarcasm at it's finest).

P.S. Will you be in Hermann next weekend?

Dave
I will be there but without the car. Just not enough time. Bringing a couple of friends as well.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts