·
Registered
86 Posts
well, thats what i put in my car!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know many are running these. According to Reische Performance Products in that TS thread there are currently no other thermostats actually made for the GT500 beside the stock one. The Motorad/Napa stats are for the 4.6.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I'm also watching that thread.

I did not take the micrometer to the replacement thermostat as the two were similar enough that I did not consider it necessary.

No disrespect to Joel @ Reische Performance, but as the only person to substantiate this statement to date is a vendor hoping to sell his ~$70 thermostat, I am skeptical.

I await the data comparing this yet to be available thermostat.

Here is the datalog from my swap: http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43311&postcount=3

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm running the Napa 180* thermostat with absolutely no issues. $12 vs. $70...I'll stick with the Napa.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did not take the micrometer to the replacement thermostat as the two were similar enough that I did not consider it necessary... the only person to substantiate this statement to date is a vendor hoping to sell his ~$70 thermostat, I am skeptical.
No micrometer necessary... just boil both t-stats and watch what happens!

Externally the two t-stats/bypasses are of similar dimensions but if you observe both t-stats opening you will see that the bypass plate does not move on the NAPA t-stat. This is because it is a cold-side t-stat and coolant flows in the opposite direction in that application. The bypass coolant flows up through the stem and is controlled by the pellet coming down and blocking the holes in the stem.

As far as $70, I'm not sure where you're getting that info. My GT500 t-stat will likely be cheaper than the labor-intensive 4.6L DOHCs and retail price should be around $50, maybe less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts