Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
30,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vehicles in the running for Motor Trend’s 2020 Best Driver’s Car did a drag race competition. It was a little different this year as they didn’t have the wide runway to run all at the same time. They ended up doing an elimination style event.

As soon as they showed the setup, I knew the Shelby wasn’t on its home court... it was a 1/4 mile un-prepped asphalt surface without the benefit of a burnout or launch control. There is zero chance a front V8/rear wheel drive car will prevail in those conditions when stacked up against mid-engine and even all-wheel drive vehicles.

It was still entertaining to watch.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did anyone notice anything amiss in the CFTP vs. C8 race...? The C8 takes the early lead out of the hole, as expected... the GT500 appears to be closing the gap quickly... then all of a sudden the C8 pulls away. :unsure:

I’m suspecting the race footage was pieced together from more than one run and some of the scenes were staged... it looks like Randy lifted his foot off the gas on one of the takes.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Did anyone notice anything amiss in the CFTP vs. C8 race...? The C8 takes the early lead out of the hole, as expected... the GT500 appears to be closing the gap quickly... then all of a sudden the C8 pulls away. :unsure:

I’m suspecting the race footage was pieced together from more than one run and some of the scenes were staged... it looks like Randy lifted his foot off the gas on one of the takes.
This is normally the case. I believe one of the last two years they mentioned something about running the race as many as 10 or 12 times due to the complexities of getting everyone to leave the line cleanly and in sync.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Super Moderator
5,013 Posts
The vehicles in the running for Motor Trend’s 2020 Best Driver’s Car did a drag race competition. It was a little different this year as they didn’t have the wide runway to run all at the same time. They ended up doing an elimination style event.

As soon as they showed the setup, I knew the Shelby wasn’t on its home court... it was a 1/4 mile un-prepped asphalt surface without the benefit of a burnout or launch control. There is zero chance a front V8/rear wheel drive car will prevail in those conditions when stacked up against mid-engine and even all-wheel drive vehicles.

It was still entertaining to watch.

The Ferrari and the Porsche were just INsane! Fun to watch.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something worth pointing out... the elimination races were all 1/4 mile races. Again, the 1/4 was an un-prepped asphalt surface. This highly favors cars with mid engines. The Shelby was matched up to the C8 Vette and eliminated. Then, for some reason, the rules were changed for the championship round and the cars ran a 1/2 mile. I’m not sure why the game was changed at that point, but the Shelby would have destroyed the Vette in a 1/2 mile race, even on that poor surface. I would like to see how the Shelby would stack up against the 2 finalists in a half mile race. Something tells me that Motor Trend was playing favorites and eliminated the Shelby early with their rules. If they had the room to run a half mile, why not let all the vehicles run a half mile...? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Something worth pointing out... the elimination races were all 1/4 mile races. Again, the 1/4 was an un-prepped asphalt surface. This highly favors cars with mid engines. The Shelby was matched up to the C8 Vette and eliminated. Then, for some reason, the rules were changed for the championship round and the cars ran a 1/2 mile. I’m not sure why the game was changed at that point, but the Shelby would have destroyed the Vette in a 1/2 mile race, even on that poor surface. I would like to see how the Shelby would stack up against the 2 finalists in a half mile race. Something tells me that Motor Trend was playing favorites and eliminated the Shelby early with their rules. If they had the room to run a half mile, why not let all the vehicles run a half mile...? :unsure:
With 760hp and 4,000 lbs the 711 hp 3200lb Ferrari and the 640hp 3300 lb 911 would have jumped out to a lead fast enough that the GT500 wouldn't have had a chance at running them down. Ferrari's launch control almost negates awd.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With 760hp and 4,000 lbs the 711 hp 3200lb Ferrari and the 640hp 3300 lb 911 would have jumped out to a lead fast enough that the GT500 wouldn't have had a chance at running them down. Ferrari's launch control almost negates awd.
Maybe so, but I still would liked to have seen the same 1/2 mile race for all of the cars. The high-hp front-engine rear wheel drive Shelby obviously stacks up better against these mid-engine cars in longer and higher speed races. If the end race was a 1/2 mile, why not run them all heads-up for a 1/2 mile?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ouch for GT500. Lost to the Chev and the Dodge truck. Not a great record for the perfect Mustang.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ouch for GT500. Lost to the Chev and the Dodge truck. Not a great record for the perfect Mustang.
We can always count on your negativity. I suspect you aren’t a Mustang fan whatsoever. Thank you for your consistency.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Oxford White / Fully Loaded
37 Posts
Having drag raced cars for many years in Pro-6 and road raced motorcycles ( AM to Pro)....eventually you begin to realize that for everything good/bad there are strong and weak points. Yes, the Vette (mid-engine) beat the GT500 and anyone who knows much about cars or either of these cars probably was not surprised given the surface. Similar to some of the bikes I raced against which had 50+ HP than my 600 yet....I was often able to easily beat those bikes why? I was able to open up the throttle far more than they could which ended up giving me more drive out of turns along with higher mid-corner speed. In a 1/4 mile race or roll-on race I would have no chance against them. It's all about strengths/weaknesses and being able to maximize each area. There exists no "perfect" car, motorcycle...etc.

The Vette won fair and square and that's fine....however, in different scenarios such as a roll-on, road course, or 1/4 mile...1/2 mile...etc.... it's not even a race. Having just owned a 2019 Z06 I can say this without any bias that no car is perfect.

VIR the GT500 beats the Vette by 5 seconds....having raced motorcycles and ridden the same exact course they tested on, 5 seconds puts the GT500 in an entirely different level.
1/4 mile on a prepped surface the Vette is also out of its league as it's a full second and over 10mph slower.

On the street, yes....the Vette gains back its advantage and it should given the DCT and mid-engine design similar to how I know my wife's Trackhawk can leave nearly anything that pulls next to her in the rearview (yes...even my Z06) on the street thanks to its 707HP AWD.

If 0-60 is all anyone cares about hats off....the Vette will get us stock VS stock 99/100 times... and that's it, every other area, it's game over. People get too caught up in the numbers and forget about the actual aspect that matters the most....which car/motorcycle...etc do you actually enjoy? If you are a licensed racer then get the vehicle that gets you from point A to B the fastest. Real-world....get what puts a smile on your face...

The GT500 and C8 are both amazing cars period.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts