Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, as I work on changing my "Newbie" subtitle, I do have a legitimate question.

What is the rule of thumb for adding more timing to possibly gain more horsepower/torque? Is there such a rule? I currently have a conservative tune (very) in the Shelby. If I add about 5 to 7 more degrees of timing, does this/will this automatically increase horsepower/torque granted you have cool air blowing during a hot day?

Just Wondering.

Thanks Again

flip

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, as I work on changing my "Newbie" subtitle, I do have a legitimate question.

What is the rule of thumb for adding more timing to possibly gain more horsepower/torque? Is there such a rule? I currently have a conservative tune (very) in the Shelby. If I add about 5 to 7 more degrees of timing, does this/will this automatically increase horsepower/torque granted you have cool air blowing during a hot day?

Just Wondering.

Thanks Again

flip
No one knows the answer to this question? 07, Prez, JJ, anyone????

Thanks

flip

·
Registered
444 Posts
I will attempt to answer your question with out makeing more confusing!

There is no rule of thumb for timing.

But as you add timing you will have to pay attention to your A/F ratio. You don't want to run lean. If you have the program to get in and change your timing and also have a wideband to monitor your A/F keep bumping the timing until you are at 12:1 across the baord.

You will have to pay attention to your A/F all the time if you are wanting to maxamize your tune. As the air outside changes your tune will need changed. Hotter it is outside the less timing you will be able to put in the car. The better the Air is (cooler) the more timing you can run allowing more time for the fuel to burn and creating more HP.

Or you can just run a safe tune (rich tune) and use it all the time.

Flip I hope this helps or I at least answered your question wil out confusing you:D

JJ

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hotter it is outside the less timing you will be able to put in the car. The better the Air is (cooler) the more timing you can run allowing more time for the fuel to burn and creating more HP.
Thanks JJ. I captured the most salient points which are the lines above. I think I'll stay with the consevative Rich tune as I'm not the one to keep monitoring hot, cold, A/F, stoich, lean, rich, etc.......

Running good now!!!:D

flip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts