Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
If this was the only “Mustang” offered by Ford, I might agree with you, but Ford is also selling the best performance fire-breathing Mustang of all time right now. They are still taking care of the performance Mustang fanboy.
I agree with this to a point. In my opinion Ford is stretching the definition of a Mustang to the breaking point by including the Mach-E under the Mustang name. And while the new GT500 is "technically" selling the best performance fire-breathing Mustang of all time it really isn't available to the "public" because of it's limited numbers. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing how the new CAR performs when they are delivered to the fortunate few.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,060 Posts
And while the new GT500 is "technically" selling the best performance fire-breathing Mustang of all time it really isn't available to the "public" because of it's limited numbers.
This is just the early cars. 2020 GT500s will be easier to acquire next year/subsequent model years. Look at the early GT350s... very difficult to secure one, but now you can get them below MSRP.

·
Premium Member
6,529 Posts
They would have sold a pile of 5.0L RWD versions. I might have bought one. A TT 5.0 Continental would have been awesome.
Cocaine.... Is a helluva drug... - Rick James

·
Premium Member
6,529 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
The money that Ford may potentially "lose" by cheesing-off a certain percentage of die hard Mustang enthusiast, will be DWARFED by the money they make by virtue of marketing this vehicle with historic/legendary Mustang names and Mustang styling language/elements.

It's like lighting a $100 bill on fire... So that you can use it to light the fuse on a 5-megaton nuclear bomb.

The $100 bucks you sacrificed to light the fuse is relatively meaningless.

The marketing GAIN that Ford has realized by doing this with the Mustang name (you can't swing a cat over the past week without hitting a Mach-E discussion and Mach-E proliferation) is immeasurably greater than what they would have garnered if they'd just called it "Model-E", and styled it generically with zero Mustang influence.

If Ford had done the latter (Model-E, no Mustang connection), the launch of the vehicle would have been a non-event, silent, a dead "thud".. The only winners would be Mustang die-hards.. But Ford would have been an absolute loser.

They have a business to run. As of now, the "Mustang Mach-E" has set off an earthquake in the market that hasn't been seen on this scale in quite some time. Marketing gold.

If they had called it "Model-E", it would just be another electric car in a sea of electric vehicles that are on the horizon.
Am I really going to get offended about an iteration of a car first marketed as “A Great Car for Your Secretary.” Seriously? If I’m going to bitch about something it is going to be the fact that Ford still hasn't figured out how to prep an aluminum surface 14+ years later. Yup, still butt-hurt but as Carmine noted I’m one of those people who’ll get over it and maintain the love affair.

There are Mustang aficionados who still consider the Mustang II as an affront to humanity (I myself love them). Yet Ford sold more of them in the five years between 1974-1978 than they sold in the ten years between 2005-2014. Mustang sales continue to decline; GT3fitty and GT500’s aren’t going to help those numbers because they’re niche cars. If you talk to Mustang club officials they’ll tell you local and national memberships, event attendances, etc. are declining rapidly. We’re a niche group and Ford’s not going to survive just catering to us.

I’ve come around on this and think you nailed it. Marketing the Mach E as a Mustang makes perfect sense. Continue to make your signature car, capitalize on, and expand the brand. Create a new vibe; cast a larger net for a wider range of potential consumers who are ecology and technology minded, etc. I hope the Mustang Mach E is a success and that it fosters in a new era of technological advancements that transfer to the Mustang. If the Mustang Lithium is an indicator of things to come it can’t come soon enough for me.

·
Premium Member
6,529 Posts
Am I really going to get offended about an iteration of a car first marketed as “A Great Car for Your Secretary.” Seriously? If I’m going to bitch about something it is going to be the fact that Ford still hasn't figured out how to prep an aluminum surface 14+ years later. Yup, still butt-hurt but as Carmine noted I’m one of those people who’ll get over it and maintain the love affair.

There are Mustang aficionados who still consider the Mustang II as an affront to humanity (I myself love them). Yet Ford sold more of them in the five years between 1974-1978 than they sold in the ten years between 2005-2014. Mustang sales continue to decline; GT3fitty and GT500’s aren’t going to help those numbers because they’re niche cars. If you talk to Mustang club officials they’ll tell you local and national memberships, event attendances, etc. are declining rapidly. We’re a niche group and Ford’s not going to survive just catering to us.

I’ve come around on this and think you nailed it. Marketing the Mach E as a Mustang makes perfect sense. Continue to make your signature car, capitalize on, and expand the brand. Create a new vibe; cast a larger net for a wider range of potential consumers who are ecology and technology minded, etc. I hope the Mustang Mach E is a success and that it fosters in a new era of technological advancements that transfer to the Mustang. If the Mustang Lithium is an indicator of things to come it can’t come soon enough for me.
Good post!!

And good in pointing out the sales success of the Mustang II, juxtaposed against current Mustang sales trends.

There are those who would argue that "Ford would sell more if they'd just make them faster and cheaper"..

Well, faster and cheaper are two opposite/impossible directions to go at the same time. Faster and cheaper = selling at a loss... No matter how many you sell. Fast costs money, if one is to deliver both performance along with durability. And fast also sucks fuel, which is an increasingly unattractive prospect in the larger market.

Anyhoo, let's face it... Ford is elevating the nameplate of Mustang such that it stands for more than just the iconic ponycar that it's adorned for 55 years now... Now it represents a theme and a mindset, very much centered around sleek styling and strong performance, and a brand-leader within Ford's portfolio. And the pure Mustang, the original unit, is also still in production thank goodness.

Anyone is welcome to dislike it. But how long are you going to dwell on it? Life goes on regardless.

·
Premium Member
6,529 Posts
Mustang may becoming an Ethos, and not just a specific car model... Will take years to see what Ford does with it..

·
Premium Member
319 Posts

121 - 134 of 134 Posts