Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if stating the engine once a month on 2014 gt 500 will prevent the fuel system from clogging.
I live in Ca with ethanol fuel so should i use a fuel stabilizer i heard some brands aren't compatible with ethanol.
I also have a carburetor motorcycle that doesn't get a whole lot of drive time unless its a sunny warm day so my question applies to that as well.
Thanks for the knowledge and replies.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
I have cars that go many many months between getting fired-up. I personally keep very little gas in these cars and put some Seafoam in the tank with the ethanol based fuel. If you do opt to start the car periodically, I highly recommend running it long enough to get it up to temp and then give it some revs to blow moisture out of the exhaust. This will minimize corrosion in your exhaust system and getting it up to temp will get rid of moisture in your oil (if any).

Many years ago, I moved to Japan and was there for 3 years. I left my 89 Mustang GT with a military contracted storage company. They claimed to have started the cars stored with them once per month. When I got home after my overseas tour, I had to replace some of my exhaust system due to rust. I’m thinking they fired up the car and let it idle for a few minutes allowing water to pool in the exhaust.

Non ethanol based gas is best for storing. I just don’t have any available around me.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,064 Posts
I have stored mine every winter since new. I keep a Battery Tender Plus hooked up and start it up every 3 or 4 weeks. Bring it up to temp then rev it a few times to purge any moisture in the exhaust as Tim suggested. So far so good.

Reactions: cpcycles

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,319 Posts
Gas loses octane over time. You need to be easy on the car if it's been sitting for a while until you can put in fresh gas.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,064 Posts
Gas loses octane over time. You need to be easy on the car if it's been sitting for a while until you can put in fresh gas.
Yep. First place I head, gingerly, after her long winter nap is a gas station for some fresh 93!

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
483 Posts
You aren't helping starting the car and letting it warm up and "blowing" the moisture out of the exhaust. It needs to build heat and get the OIL up to temp to avoid moisture in the engine and avoid sludge. This will take quite a bit of time just idling and then you are washing the cylinders down with gas and contaminating the oil. Better to just leave it off until the Spring.

Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions and advice guys. Its been raining here for the past few weeks but i will take her out more often even if i just baby her for 20 miles rather than lettin her go to waste, she will need to stretch out those ponies in the summer once it drys out and heats up.
Thanks for the reminder that theses cars are meant to be driven and not sit in storage for months.
I will add some fresh fuel and stabilizer just in case though. Its such a joy to drive i do need to replace those hockey puck goodyears and upgrade to some Michelin as soon as i can because i just cant get decent traction in this cold weather.
Great comments guys.
Thank you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Get out and drive them once a month for 10-20 miles ... you'll enjoy the ride and be doing your vehicles a big favor. Don't let them turn into "barn finds" ..... LOL :)
Exactly right. Mine is a daily driver. I bought it to drive and enjoy, not to look at and wish I could drive it. If I wanted that I could just go find them for sale, look and leave. ?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
Not everyone has the option to get their car out for a drive over the winter. It depends on their climate. Some cars are also stored buried behind stuff or in buildings not accessible with snow on the ground. The blanket statement of these cars were meant to be driven (year around) doesn’t work for everyone.

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
Mine sits for 5 months, once stored I just put on a battery tender & let it sleep until Spring.

I think the heating & cooling creates condensation & that sitting water is not good.
(my 2 cents worth)

Colin
You aren't helping starting the car and letting it warm up and "blowing" the moisture out of the exhaust. It needs to build heat and get the OIL up to temp to avoid moisture in the engine and avoid sludge. This will take quite a bit of time just idling and then you are washing the cylinders down with gas and contaminating the oil. Better to just leave it off until the Spring.

Tom
This is what I have read as well -- just leave it off until spring.

·
Premium Member
7,972 Posts
T
Not everyone has the option to get their car out for a drive over the winter. It depends on their climate. Some cars are also stored buried behind stuff or in buildings not accessible with snow on the ground. The blanket statement of these cars were meant to be driven (year around) doesn’t work for everyone.
The guy is from California .... gimme a break. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts