Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I recently spoke with a few dealers in various regions about a handful of inventory units they either recently received or are awaiting from FRAP.

Far be it from me to stand in the way of anyone in pursuit of what the market will bear. But with average ACTUAL sales commanding nominal premiums above MSRP, I can’t figure for the life of me who or where all these whales who are slamming down $30K market premiums for half-optioned base models ordered to someone else’s spec so many dealers claim to be turning away.

Of course, there’s always a handful who need to be the first in their state or simply don’t know better while having more dollars than sense. A few also find their way to the grey markets of Oman and the Emirates where money is measured by an entirely different yardstick and GT500s attract true whales precisely because of how uncommon they are in those markets and how few cars ultimately get there.

I’m not talking Golden Ticket or even commodity allocations which enable buyers to order their preferred configuration for which people often pay an additional premium. These are Base GT500s without the Handling Package or Carbon Instrument Panel in an off color for which enough people in the sticks of Nebraska and Ohio supposedly are paying $110K to make any lesser offer not worth considering. The several who claim to receive regular offers of $20K “from dealers in California and Texas never could quite answer why they didn’t take so much guaranteed money when those dealers could’ve sourced cars locally for tens of thousands less.

The only thing I can figure is dealers buying en masse into the urban legend of the Moby Dick buyer who’s out there somewhere just waiting to be harpooned while making a drive-by impulse purchase. Or they’re all waiting for, while turning down offers on behalf of, the same one or two actual buyers who are on an at-all-costs quest to satisfy trophy wives who’ve threatened to cut them off if they don’t find that particular dealer’s GT500 in her driveway.

In reality, dealers each enjoy a couple months of free floor plan money and cutting it loose for less than their theoretical maximum value before at least testing the waters makes little sense too. But that still doesn’t account for some of the stratospheric numbers some dealers are holding out for and even walking away from.

I’m not cheering this on by any means but I personally suspect this rapidly will change once inventories improve (which they already are) and the effects of the imploding economy become felt more widely. I know more “high earners” who’ve been negatively affected during these four months then the entirety of the GFC and the broad-based effects haven’t even begun. I’m already getting just as many calls back from dealers pitching me GT500s whose retail customers walked away once they arrived.

I often wonder if dealer principals would respond similarly to turning down a proverbial bird in the hand. Knowing I’m far from alone in receiving such responses or hanging up the phone laughing, I’m curious about what others think such rationales are based upon.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,113 Posts
It will be interesting to see the ADM market for 2021. I think we will see many more base models available at MSRP... we shall see.

As for the crazy economy now... I know people who are having their best financial year ever! Yes, the economy has taken a dump and it has negatively affected many. There are some industries that have been booming though. I know some business owners how have told me that they have never been this busy, ever!

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,424 Posts
Genius has limitations, stupidity is boundless, this pretty much explains ADM !

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
...As for the crazy economy now... I know people who are having their best financial year ever! Yes, the economy has taken a dump and it has negatively affected many. There are some industries that have been booming though. I know some business owners how have told me that they have never been this busy, ever!
I know my deferred compensation is doing quite well. However, COVID, people out of work with stay at home orders, but new cars on the road, deferred mortgages skyrocketing, it just doesn't add up. I think we are all in for a ride when the music stops...just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 2112 and OMB

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Only BMW dealers rival Ford dealers in ADM insanity.

Yeah, I believe in free markets, but Corporate Ford is who gets the black eye here.

Halo cars are supposed to build brand loyalty (among other things) and ADM's don't do that. Do you want to return and buy those F150s for your fleet when your dealer just held you up for a $30,000 shakedown?

I think Ford realizes this and attempted to resolve it on the FGT, but didn't get the details nailed down.

I am a Ford fanboy, but I will tip my hat to Dodge for at least attempting to limit the gouging by restricting new cars to dealers sitting on HellCats too long.

·
Premium Member
8,056 Posts
Oh, the problems of the rich & famous ...... oh my. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts