Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there everyone, just wondering if using mobil 1 15w50 is do-able for our cars. i do live in a tropical weather area all season around or do i really have to use the motorcraft 5w50?

i have always used mobil 1 in the past and i consider them a great motor oil product.

·
Registered
298 Posts
hi there everyone, just wondering if using mobil 1 15w50 is do-able for our cars. i do live in a tropical weather area all season around or do i really have to use the motorcraft 5w50?

i have always used mobil 1 in the past and i consider them a great motor oil product.
I was thinking the same but ended up buying the Motorcraft oil anyway and using it for the oil change.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Is it worth gambling on the warranty?????????

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
During the Summer in the southern states I see no problem using it. You don't need the 5W weighted oil when it's 105 degrees.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
You can "do" anything... anyone who thinks they're smarter than the engineers who designed the engines and put the lubrication specs into place is taking a risk that I'm not willing to take.

Will it work? Sure.

Will there be any damage? Likely not - in the short term. Down the road? That's what you're gambling on.

IMHO.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry guys, i should have use the search button since this subject have been covered few times already. i am sorry.

i call my one and only ford dealership here and they quoted me $14.09 for one qt. thats right, freaking $14.09. i got the motorcraft filter from wal-mart for $4 and will use castrol 5w50 for this time around. will order the motorcraft via online next time.

dont know why it cost more than double for the same 5w50, i smell its a ford/motorcraft branding thing. oooo well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Did you not click on the link in my post.
I went to all the trouble.
The dealer will hose you on the price that is why some folks buy from the link I posted.
I have taken mine to the dealer and was quoted a price of $75 to change the oil.
I want to throw the dealer a bone so if I have trouble with my car he will be more understanding and give me less grief.
My dealer will let me stay with the car and I watch them like a hawk just to make myself feel better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer will hose you on the price that is why some folks buy from the link I posted.
I have taken mine to the dealer and was quoted a price of $75 to change the oil.
I want to throw the dealer a bone so if I have trouble with my car he will be more understanding and give me less grief.
My dealer will let me stay with the car and I watch them like a hawk just to make myself feel better.
thank you. i did click the link and saw the great price of seven something. i will order from there next time. i reserved this weekend to do the oil change cause i might have to go on a business trip in the near future and i really want to change the oil. i have 2k on the clock and want to get the shavings off.

again, thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
There is really no reason to change it that early. With full synthetic, viscosity will maintain upwards of 7500 miles. Ford says 5K. I have not read of anyone finding shavings or metal fragments in these engines.

·
Registered
806 Posts

Are you saying you didn't throw them a bone when you bought the car from them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are you saying you didn't throw them a bone when you bought the car from them.
I wan going to the dealer that I bought the car from but had a bad experience and so now I go to someone else.

You can go farther than 2000 miles on this change I went about 3000 but I dont drive my car more than 3000 miles a year so I change my oil once a year.

Have a safe and have fun on you're trip
Art

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I should say my oil change is yearly also. I've put about 2500 on the car the first but then 500 of that was driving it home.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Is shipping reasonable to justify getting it from K-man? Has anyone ordered an entire case - how much did you pay for shipping?

Looks like the per quart price went up slightly.
I bought 20 quarts on 12/26/2007 for $6.59 a quart along with 6 filters at $3.71 ea.

Total of $154.06 and $21.91 shipping for a total of $175.97

Cal

·
Registered
300 Posts
The Castrol 5W50 is available at Advance Auto Parts for under $5 on a regular basis and meets the Ford 'B' Spec.

The Mobil One does not and is the wrong weight for the engine. Besides, M1 is not the oil it used to be. Lab analysis over the years caused us to drop it and Delvac too a couple years ago. Not long after the Exxon takeover.

We use mostly Rotella products now, 5W40 synthetic in everything we own except the Shelby. Harleys to Diesels to gen sets...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts