Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 Handling Pack/Race Red/Custom Stripes
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out by saying I don't track or race my car. I live in more of a city setting in Southern California.

The brake dust drives me nuts 😂

Seems like great reviews and Very low dust with the Power Stop Z26 pads. But they don't have rear pads and will NOT till Feb./Mar. 2022.

I was thinking of doing Z26 in the Front and maybe a other Good pad in the rear like maybe Carbotech pads in the Rear? or some other Great pad thats very low dust if any of you guys have a pick?

Thanks for the insight.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,902 Posts
Let me start out by saying I don't track or race my car. I live in more of a city setting in Southern California.

Seems like great reviews and Very low dust with the Power Stop Z26 pads. But they don't have rear pads and will NOT till Feb./Mar. 2022.

I was thinking of doing Z26 in the Front and maybe a other Good pad in the rear like maybe Carbotech pads in the Rear? or some other Great pad thats very low dust if any of you guys have a pick?

Thanks for the insight.
Moved your post to the performance mods section since this is where the brake pad discussions are.

You might get different brake grip front to back, but it may not be a big deal. If you opt to go this route, I’d do some test brake applications in a proper setting with everything from light pedal force to a max effort stop and see how it all works together.

Reactions: Socal2fast

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
219 Posts
Do the required brake in and after a couple hundred miles you will be able to tell if you made the right choice. Can't comment on the latest GT500 but I used Powerstop on a 2010 GT500 that had the 2014 GT500 Ford brake upgrade installed. The car had exceptional braking power with stock pads. I put Powerstops on and I could notice the braking degradation coming to a full stop. I gave it a shot and after a week I ordered new Ford stock pads for it... even though the old used stock pads had a lot of life left. Powerstop pads are cheap compared to stock ones but any braking power loss bothers me. I decided to live with the dust and wiping.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,446 Posts
I run the Z26 pads up front and only thing I noticed was that initial “holy crap!” bite is more subdued. The stock pads are stupid dusty and very grabby. I’d bet you’re more likely to get rear ended than you are to hit someone else, otherwise you aren’t paying attention or not driving within your skills or conditions. I’m patiently awaiting the Z26 rear pads. They were listed on PowerStop’s website for awhile but have since been removed.

·
Premium Member
2014 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2000 Roush Mustang GT Vert, 2019 Ford F150 Limited
690 Posts

Thanks for the insight.
I did the fronts only with Powerstop Z26. The front brakes provide the majority of the stopping power. The rear wheel dust is minimal. The dusting on the front wheels is virtually nonexistent compared to stock Ford pads. Mine is a 2014. I got it in March with 10,000 miles. I put the Z26 on the front at about 14,000. I was driving myself nuts wiping the front wheels down after even driving it across town. In October, @fletchffletch and @03reptile and I ran a hard 600 miles on The Tail of the Dragon and other routes over 2 days in Tennessee and North Carolina. I live in Illinois and put about 2000 miles on it including the trip there and back. The brakes worked great on the hard driving over the 600 miles. It wasn't a race, but it was lot of hard braking in the curves. When I got home, The front wheels had a very light coat of dust and the back had not much more. I have almost 18,000 on it now and am glad I changed out the front pads.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,718 Posts
I also put the Z-23's, all around, on my 2019 GT350. I used the Z-23's as they are the same pad material as the Z-26. I have been equally impressed with their stopping power compared to the stock pads. They certainly reduce the dusting of those black wheels!

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
6,059 Posts
I did the fronts only with Powerstop Z26. The front brakes provide the majority of the stopping power. The rear wheel dust is minimal. The dusting on the front wheels is virtually nonexistent compared to stock Ford pads. Mine is a 2014. I got it in March with 10,000 miles. I put the Z26 on the front at about 14,000. I was driving myself nuts wiping the front wheels down after even driving it across town. In October, @fletchffletch and @03reptile and I ran a hard 600 miles on The Tail of the Dragon and other routes over 2 days in Tennessee and North Carolina. I live in Illinois and put about 2000 miles on it including the trip there and back. The brakes worked great on the hard driving over the 600 miles. It wasn't a race, but it was lot of hard braking in the curves. When I got home, The front wheels had a very light coat of dust and the back had not much more. I have almost 18,000 on it now and am glad I changed out the front pads.
I also put the Z-23's, all around, on my 2019 GT350. I used the Z-23's as they are the same pad material as the Z-26. I have been equally impressed with their stopping power compared to the stock pads. They certainly reduce the dusting of those black wheels!
And when I got home, with my stock pads, my black gloss wheels had turned a love shaded of matte brown!!! :p ;):LOL::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: msirach and Evolvd

·
Premium Member
2014 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2000 Roush Mustang GT Vert, 2019 Ford F150 Limited
690 Posts
And when I got home, with my stock pads, my black gloss wheels had turned a love shaded of matte brown!!! :p ;):LOL::ROFLMAO:
I didn't want to say that about your car, but the matte brown wheel finish was not in harmony with the color of your Shelby. o_Oo_Oo_O

• Haha
Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
6,059 Posts
I didn't want to say that about your car, but the matte brown wheel finish was not in harmony with the color of your Shelby. o_Oo_Oo_O
What, you haven’t heard of the new matte brown wheel trend, Mike?! 😜 Just call it like it is, Mike! 😉 You won’t hurt my feelings. 😜🤣😂

• Haha
Reactions: msirach
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.