Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Base Rapid Red
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to give this a try. Mishimoto didn't seem to recommend it for a GT500 because they couldn't claim that it would fit. So, I think I know why. Our radiator fan shroud doesn't allow the tank to sit as low as it would in other S550s. Having said that, I checked the clearance as I slowly closed the hood and saw that it does have a little clearance so it won't damage anything. You can see the spacing where the tank mounting brackets don't touch the shroud, which I was able to sort of measure with the supplied hardware (that you came use because it's too short for us). You have to use the OEM mounting screws that are long enough to account for this space, which wasn't an issue for me. I ended up using black oxide washers to get rid of the gap. I'm not sure how highly I would recommend this tank for that reason, but it was worth it for me to have a new look. I'm keeping an eye on it to see if it shifts around or causes any other issues .
Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Gas Engineering Automotive exterior Office equipment

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,031 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I want the Shelby tank but I’m not going to cut the fan shroud to do it. If this is a viable option I might consider it over the bubble gum bank from the factory.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let us know how it goes. I want the Shelby tank but I’m not going to cut the fan shroud to do it. If this is a viable option I might consider it over the bubble gum bank from the factory.
Do you know how much you would need to cut the fan shroud for the Shelby one? This one would fit if you cut about 1/2" off of the angled fins on the top of the shroud. I didn't want to do that, so I'll keep you posted!

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,031 Posts
Do you know how much you would need to cut the fan shroud for the Shelby one? This one would fit if you cut about 1/2" off of the angled fins on the top of the shroud. I didn't want to do that, so I'll keep you posted!
I’m not 100% sure, I’ll ask the guys at Shelby next month when I go out there again. It’s my understanding that you need to remove a decent slice to set the tank so it doesn’t obstruct the hood latching. They do it on the SE and KR builds so maybe they have a template I can snag and post.

Reactions: Tonys_GT500

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m not 100% sure, I’ll ask the guys at Shelby next month when I go out there again. It’s my understanding that you need to remove a decent slice to set the tank so it doesn’t obstruct the hood latching. They do it on the SE and KR builds so maybe they have a template I can snag and post.
Here's a decent picture of where the interference is. It's not a lot but still some cutting of one of those "fins".
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts