Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the all awaited for call this morning around 9:30. I had been put on notice yesterday morn that my car was in Atlanta. My dealer rep downplayed when it would come saying it could take 2-4 days to get it the last leg (only a two hour drive) to their dealership. I concluded it would be the later so settled in to wait out these last days.
Well this morning I was reading through the different threads here at FordGT500.com when the call came in. I was in the middle of reading a post/blog of one of our fellow Shelby owners and his trip to and from the dealer. Good story but I am happy to report, I didn't get finished because the call came in:D
I literally ran through my house hollaring for someone to take me to the dealer because my car came in. I was about to explode. It was finally here.
I have been the last 3 months surfing the web, visiting all the forums- reading everything I could get my fingers on- bought all the mags, all to try to satisfy my hunger for more info.
I must say I was prepared, or so I thought.
Guys, to you who are waiting and to you who are still trying to decide = it is all it was billed to be and more.
In Oct. I shot an email to my home town dealer asking him if he was getting any Shelbys in. He replied that he had two- a coupe and a convert and if I wanted one of them I could get it built out to my specs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Mine came in today too- delivery and first drive

I ordered the convert (after I had to agree to his markup over MSRP) it is white with blue side stripe.

Then he said it could be take many months even up to 9. I was still in.

The first of Dec. I got confirmation my order was pulled.
Then I got word it was being built the first week of Jan.
The last Friday I got word it was in Atlanta.

Well today (just about 2.5 hours ago) I got the final call. I jumped and ran to get someone to take me. My 17 year old daughter (who has a 2006 Mustang) agreed and off we went.

Drove up to the dealer and sure nuf, there she was (with a crowd of salesmen huttled around her). Mine was the first Shelby this dealer has had come in (and the only one they have sold). I got the paperwork done lightn fast and was ready to go.

The guys (two of them) told me something (I wasn't paying much tention cause I was ready to roll). Then came the much awaited first drive.

I know I'm about to run out of space to write but this is the coolest part.

To sum it up- it is like strapping a rocket booster on your back. Punch it and it is all you can do to keep it in the road. I swear! My 15 year old son rode home with me and it was 100% pure high! Gotta be care punching it is tight curves cause you got to hold on!

Overall the ride is very good. The power is all you have heard and read.

Here n NE Alabama today it is about 60 deg and I left the dealer with top down (I had to take my hat off though!)

I'm headed back out now and wil add a photo later. I know you are tried of seeing photos as the most imp part is the drive. Grand it is.

I just hope I can keep from getting my driver's lic. suspended (again).

Thanks for allowing me to share my first experience and hope we meet on the road. My tag is HYPRDVE.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Post Pics soon!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Congratulations, Go have fun and then send us waiters some more of that motorvated HYPE that we are so anxiously waiting to feel for ourselves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Re: Mine came in today too- the decision and order UPDATE

OK, didn't want to bore you, but since you asked....:D
Today, right after church, I announced I was headed back on the road for a Sunday Drive;)
Eat your heart out if you Shelby is sitting in your garage cause Today was once again top down weather...in the high 60's. My wife said she was in and my middle daughter said she was too.
So with a push of a button, the top recoiled and the I set the engine to purring and off we went.
We drove through the country for about 2 hours. It was heaven! I am now comfortable with shiftn and have it down pretty smooth (it was more me getting used to driving a stick again, than a problem with the car).

I know you guys have read all the posts about people being taken back by the cars, well it is true....even last night when I went to rent a movie a lady stopped me going in to blockbuster and asked me "what model is that car?" I told her it was a 2007 and then she said "that is the best body style I have seen on the mustangs." She didn't have a clue what a Shelby was. She just knew she liked it the best! Then there was when I took my son to his school, again last night (you can tell I was volunteering to go on all the "honey do's I could."). Well I dropped him off and when I came back to get him about 15 high school boys started walking out of the school building and straight towards the Shelby. I tell you, if I wasn't sitting in front of a Christian school I would have thought I was about to get mugged. I knew all the boys coming towards me. Well my car was the talk of the school I only had it 12 hours then.
Today, I went on another honey do and pulled up to pick up my wife and a guy standing outside the place where I was going started flagging me down. I happened to be pulling up to that building anyway so I pulled around. He went nuts. He was a die hard stang fan and couldn't believe he was actually seeing a Shelby up close and personal. We talked...he knew more about it than I did. Two more guys walked up and the first guy would tell them all about the car. He kept saying "this car is the real deal!"
He also said it had to be the fastest car in our town. When he learned the Shelby was going to be my everyday ride, he thought I was crazy. Said if he had it it would be parked in his garage so it wouldn't get many miles on it. I told him I bought it because I wanted something fun to drive..he still thinks I'm crazy.
Back to driving...I have done all the hard driving and the car is perfect. It is killing me to get somewhere I can open it up...all the way. All I was able to do today was get on a short bit of interstate...got it to 120 in a heart beat. It is super smooth and it had much more to go...you could tell.
I have decided to not drive it too work tomorrow....going to drive my Escalade truck instead (it is supposed to storm all day tomorrow and I think I'll let her have a day of rest. I am guessing I put over 200 miles on her in the last 36 hours). The folks at work are going to kill me cause they know I have it now, but it is supposed to clear up again towards the end of the week.
Last observation: The first day you have the car you are kinda numb. It is a surreal experience. Maybe cause of all the waiting...maybe cause I have never been in a car that is so fast. I have had many cars with big engines (my two Escalades both have huge engines), but even though all the reviews complain about how much the Shelby weights, coming from my the other cars in my family...it is light a rocket ship! You will love every minute, I promise.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am glad that you are happy with your car, unfortunately for me here in Chicago we are having light snow and therefore my baby is sleeping in the garaga. Just enjoy your car fot those of us that can't...for now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts