Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, it’s been a while since I was last on here but I’ve got a predicament.
Before I bought my 2008 GT500 it sat in the previous owner’s garage for six years after he windowed the block. He never cleaned it or maintained the interior or exterior in that six years unfortunately. And since he left the drivers window cracked all the moisture from his washer and dryer managed to grow some light mildew or mold on the leather inside of the car. Now while I’m saving for a new short block, the car is sitting under a metal carport out of the sun. I wash it once a month and wax it every other month. I’ve cleaned up the interior and conditioned the leather the best I can. But I wanted to hear from y’all what the best course of action would be to eliminate the mildew and brink my seats back to life. Luckily they’re not cracked so I dodged a bullet there.
Below is a pic of how it sat for six years, sadly.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,936 Posts
I think any type of bacterial cleaner would suffice in killing the mold on surfaces. I'd steer clear of anything that has bleach within it's content. Follow up with a good leather cleaner and preserver and you should be fine.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
165 Posts
Sounds like a great excuse for new seat covers and carpet. I'd pull it all out for thorough cleaning. You've got mold in unseen areas, too.

Reactions: jrzycobra

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,727 Posts
Try something like Damprid or other moisture removers to draw out the moisture and put some charcoal briquette's in a pan on the passenger floor to help absorb some of those odors. Monitor them and change out as needed. Mold isn't that difficult to get off seating surfaces, but it's probably not the only place it's been growing.

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
Great ideas with outsourcing the cleaning to a professional and using damprid with a pan of charcoal. If you tackle this yourself, note the front seats are leather and the rear seats are vinyl. You need to be very careful in what you use on the front seats. Some leather cleaners can be to aggressive and damage the finish. Always start with the least aggressive product.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thanks for all the advice guys! I appreciate it, looks like I’m removing most of the interior this weekend to clean it!

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
If the car is sitting around without a motor, your windows might be cracked, since this is a normal function for opening the doors with the battery hooked up. You'd be better off getting the window to roll back up and then unhooking the battery. Just don't slam the hood closed, so you can hook up the battery to open the doors. Don't ask me how I know that. My car has sat around without power for long periods and these sorts of smells abated using these techniques.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Loo good advice and thank you but I rolled the windows up as soon as I parked it and then removed the battery. It doesn’t currently have a good because he started to part the car out and luckily the hood was the first and ONLY part to be sold. He got tired of it taking up space in his garage and wanted to park a new GT500 there instead so that’s why he started the part out. I of course bought it from him before any OEM parts disappeared, the hood was aftermarket and fiberglass so not that big of a deal. The guy I bought it from is like a little brother to me, and that’s how I knew about the car and ended up with it.
Sorry for the long drawn out story of useless info lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is what it looks like now. And yes I agree, those rims look horrible on it!

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
629 Posts
What ever method you use wear a mask as mold spores are not healthy for you to breathe in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck in bringing it back to life! Of course, you have to give us all a backstory on it. Why did the car sit? Blown engine?
Thanks, yeah he was revving it in his driveway and sent a rod through the side of the block! I think someone on here said that all the 5.4 blocks are the same, so all I’d have to do is have the block gone through and put in the new GT500 internals, definitely doing forged this time. If that’s not correct someone let me know so I don’t waste money on a cheap rebuildable random year 5.4 block from some F150 or Navi 😂 that sounds too good to be true though!

Reactions: BrakeFade

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Bare blocks are the same, but the rest of the reciprocating assembly is not. I'm pretty sure you can still get new iron blocks too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bare blocks are the same, but the rest of the reciprocating assembly is not. I'm pretty sure you can still get new iron blocks too.
YES! It was you that told me that, I remember the name now! 😂 thank you for the clarification on that. Maybe I should start a different thread for this next question and let me know if I do, but I’m primarily a Hemi guy, so when it comes to bearings, forged rods, and forged pistons, what’s the best and most reliable brands? Or you can PM me either way it’s greatly appreciated

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,352 Posts
YES! It was you that told me that, I remember the name now! 😂 thank you for the clarification on that. Maybe I should start a different thread for this next question and let me know if I do, but I’m primarily a Hemi guy, so when it comes to bearings, forged rods, and forged pistons, what’s the best and most reliable brands? Or you can PM me either way it’s greatly appreciated
Please start a new thread for the new subject.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
519 Posts
Wow thanks for all the advice guys! I appreciate it, looks like I’m removing most of the interior this weekend to clean it!
Good luck. I simply do not understand how folks abuse and mistreat or neglect such a special car. Glad it has a respectful new owner, in you, who will care for it properly. As my Mom used to say... "you can't fix stupid".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, yeah he was revving it in his driveway and sent a rod through the side of the block! I think someone on here said that all the 5.4 blocks are the same, so all I’d have to do is have the block gone through and put in the new GT500 internals, definitely doing forged this time. If that’s not correct someone let me know so I don’t waste money on a cheap rebuildable random year 5.4 block from some F150 or Navi 😂 that sounds too good to be true though!
I have a few parts you might be interested in. From a 5.4 2009 stock pull offs ! Barbara Jennings

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Hey everyone, it’s been a while since I was last on here but I’ve got a predicament.
Before I bought my 2008 GT500 it sat in the previous owner’s garage for six years after he windowed the block. He never cleaned it or maintained the interior or exterior in that six years unfortunately. And since he left the drivers window cracked all the moisture from his washer and dryer managed to grow some light mildew or mold on the leather inside of the car. Now while I’m saving for a new short block, the car is sitting under a metal carport out of the sun. I wash it once a month and wax it every other month. I’ve cleaned up the interior and conditioned the leather the best I can. But I wanted to hear from y’all what the best course of action would be to eliminate the mildew and brink my seats back to life. Luckily they’re not cracked so I dodged a bullet there.
Below is a pic of how it sat for six years, sadly. View attachment 207922
Quick and easy solution is "white vinegar"; apply it liberally and wipe off any mildew you see!
Good Luck!
Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts