Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just wondering if any other people that park in a heated garage through the winter start their cars every month or so. I live in Alberta so the car gets parked late Nov and probably wont see the road until April.

Is there any opinion on the pros/cons of mid winter startups? Thanks

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The general consensus I've heard is that you shouldn't start the car during winter storage due to condensation build-up.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Just put it on a trickle charger. Unless you run the car for 30-40 minutes so the engine and oil is up to full temps you will have rust buildup inside the engine. When I pulled my motor and had it built my engine guy found light rust on the cylinder walls and on some internals.

I learned not to short run the car.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
I have no heat in my garage and never start anything in there Nov til April. No battery trickle chargers, etc and never have had a problem with any car.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Hi

Just wondering if any other people that park in a heated garage through the winter start their cars every month or so. I live in Alberta so the car gets parked late Nov and probably wont see the road until April.

Is there any opinion on the pros/cons of mid winter startups? Thanks
I also live in Alberta, Red Deer. My baby is stored in a heated garage, all 4 tires are on rubber pads on the floor, supposedly the cold concrete can cause degradation over long periods. I have a trickle charger on it and just restarted it last weekend when it was nice and mild. I think the trick is to make sure it gets fully up to temperature. Also it may be good to put it in gear and move it back and forth a few times. I just like to make all the lubricated parts move a bit. :cowsmile:

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I have no heat in my garage and never start anything in there Nov til April. No battery trickle chargers, etc and never have had a problem with any car.
Same here,no trickle chargers either..park the car 30th October,unplug battery,May 1st..hook battery,start the car and that's it...never had problems with my cars either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.
Shelbysurfer: I live in Red Deer (South side) as well and it looks like we have identical cars. I just got mine the last week in Oct, put on 400km and then parked it. I may see you out on the road one day next spring.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
AS much as I've not wanted to start it, around Christmas time, I feel like giving myself a gift. Just start it and run it for 20+ minutes to get it hot to burn out all the condensation. Really, how much "damage" can you do starting it once a month if you warm it up properly.

OH, and it's a MUST, an absolute MUST, that you rev it out a little. Does nothing for the car, but great for you to break the blahs of winter. :)

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
Shelbysurfer: I live in Red Deer (South side) as well and it looks like we have identical cars. I just got mine the last week in Oct, put on 400km and then parked it. I may see you out on the road one day next spring.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all
yeah I'm in the south east side, building in Laredo now, needed a bigger stable for all the ponies. Bought mine late September '13 and drove for a few weeks before having to put it away. That was painful. Mine is unique though, no white stripe Recaro's for me, mine are all black.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
mine is in a heated garage w/ trickle charger...i start it every 2 months and let it run for 1/2 an hour.....i enjoy just sitting in it for 1/2 a hour....i have to try extra hard not to touch myself though.

mine is always at the top of the lift, so i have to put towels on the car under it because water comes out of the exhaust

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
thanks for the almost-visual visual huggy...ha

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Like most guys I also hookup a trickle charger and do not startup over the winter months.
I put OSB down and some old carpet on top (keeps moisture down and nice to lay on when working under the car) I have done this for 20 years with different cars & bikes, as stated above moisture is created if not warmed long enough.

Colin

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
The general consensus I've heard is that you shouldn't start the car during winter storage due to condensation build-up.

^^
This.

Put some Stabil in the fuel, a cover on it and a battery tender or pull the battery and start it in the spring, when you're ready to use it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts