Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 4S comes on the base 2020 as well as the handling package version. The Cup 2 comes on the Carbon Fiber Track Pack version.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,342 Posts
I'm really considering trying to buy an extra set of wheels for the 19 GT350 and mount the Cup 2's that I replaced with the A/S 3's that I current am running. The Cup 2's are like glue! They really do stick in warm weather. Just an incredible tire! That way I could just swap the mounted Cup 2's on in early summer and then store the A/S 3's until the fall. Unfortunately, the wheels for these cars are not inexpensive. I'd sure like to have those Cup 2's on for the fun run at Shelbyfest!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I'm really considering trying to buy an extra set of wheels for the 19 GT350 and mount the Cup 2's that I replaced with the A/S 3's that I current am running. The Cup 2's are like glue! They really do stick in warm weather. Just an incredible tire! That way I could just swap the mounted Cup 2's on in early summer and then store the A/S 3's until the fall. Unfortunately, the wheels for these cars are not inexpensive. I'd sure like to have those Cup 2's on for the fun run at Shelbyfest!
Mike,

The Cup 2 tires in the video are separate from the Cup 2 tires you have. The tires on your car are an FP branded Cup 2 that's a custom blend of tread pattern and compound that falls between the Pilot Super Sport and the actual Cup 2 tires found on the GT350R and the GT500 CFTP. They're a great tire actually as you get some of the added benefit of the cup 2 but with better cold and wet weather handling if you get caught out in the rain. They would be significantly stickier than the A/S3's you have right now as you correctly identified.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,342 Posts
I can tell you that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires put on yesterday feel and drive great. I didn't notice anymore road noise, nor did the car ride rougher than before. The response from the steering wheel is so much better.
They are good tires. The third set I've bought for my current and past Shelbys.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Question though... the dealership used the soapy, greasy lubricant to mount the tires on the rims. Since it was getting dark when I picked up the Shelby, I did not have time to get that stuff off the tires/rims. What can I use to get it all off before i dress the tires? I hesitate to use a brush - it would have to be a soft brush I expect. Simple Green? Diluted dish soap? Ideas? thanks in advance.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question though... the dealership used the soapy, greasy lubricant to mount the tires on the rims. Since it was getting dark when I picked up the Shelby, I did not have time to get that stuff off the tires/rims. What can I use to get it all off before i dress the tires? I hesitate to use a brush - it would have to be a soft brush I expect. Simple Green? Diluted dish soap? Ideas? thanks in advance.
Simple Green or dish soap will work fine... I’ve used both. Don’t use dish soap on your paint though. I also have a dedicated tire brush that works well.

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
1,457 Posts
Ive seen this video before. Its a good comparison video.

I currently have the Pilot 4 tires on my car. Previously I had the Pilot Sport 2. They are night and day difference in my personal opinion. Michalen's new formula is a vast improvement over the Sport 2, which again until then was one of the best tires our there. The tires feel sticker, and i have much less traction issues than before. They are pricey but well worth it.

-Doc

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,342 Posts
Mike,

The Cup 2 tires in the video are separate from the Cup 2 tires you have. The tires on your car are an FP branded Cup 2 that's a custom blend of tread pattern and compound that falls between the Pilot Super Sport and the actual Cup 2 tires found on the GT350R and the GT500 CFTP. They're a great tire actually as you get some of the added benefit of the cup 2 but with better cold and wet weather handling if you get caught out in the rain. They would be significantly stickier than the A/S3's you have right now as you correctly identified.
Yes I was aware the Cup 2's on myGT350 were a different compound then the GT350R's Cup 2's. I was in the rain this past summer and noted that they were quite good in the rain, unlike the ones on the R model. They still do the tramlining deal, which I'm not fond of having to put up with if I get them mounted on another set of wheels. Oh well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts