Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try, or know of anyone who's tried running methanol?

Its out of the question for me becasue mine is a DD. Just thought that with the heat issues, might be a good complement for the engine.

TD

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have thought about it. It would be cheaper than a can of torco in each tank. It can also be set up so you could not tell it was on the car easily (gotta love the stealth effect).

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have it on my T-Bird but I don't drive that car as much as the Shelby .
It does work great but with the larger HE and the more efficent TVS I now have on the Shelby there is no need for anything like methonal.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have it on my T-Bird but I don't drive that car as much as the Shelby .
It does work great but with the larger HE and the more efficent TVS I now have on the Shelby there is no need for anything like methonal.
Need? Need?
Of course there is no need -
a car is simply a means of transportation from point A to point B.
Might be a money saver with the near $4 per gallon gas prices...

TD

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Need? Need?
Of course there is no need -
a car is simply a means of transportation from point A to point B.
Might be a money saver with the near $4 per gallon gas prices...

TD
Is methonal cheeper than gasoline ? Mmmmmm but then it would only be used at WOT so it won't make much of a difference with mileage, unless your on a road course.:thinkerg:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good points.

I have no idea how much methanol costs. I can't imagine its as expensive as gasoline though. You can get a permit to make your own methanol/ethanol to use for fuel supposedly, though I've never looked into it.

Gotta admit, I don't know much about to set up a methanol system (though I could probably figure a way to distill it), so I didn't realize it was only used at WOT.

TD

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Good points.

I have no idea how much methanol costs. I can't imagine its as expensive as gasoline though. You can get a permit to make your own methanol/ethanol to use for fuel supposedly, though I've never looked into it.

Gotta admit, I don't know much about to set up a methanol system (though I could probably figure a way to distill it), so I didn't realize it was only used at WOT.

TD
It is used to cool the combustion chamber temps at WOT so more timing can be added to get more power. It works very well. There are different grades of Methonal . The type used in cars that burn only Methonal is a higher grade than you would need for just cooling purposes.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Its $4.00 a gallon we get at work and thats our price:flame:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its $4.00 a gallon we get at work and thats our price:flame:
What do you use the methanol for at work? Do you have one of those great jobs where your hobby IS your work?

TD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts