Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GT500 SVTPP - Gen 1 TVS, 2.6" pulley, JLT CAI, Borla ATAK
497 Posts
Let us know how it holds up. Was considering this or bead maker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Will do. 1st lesson learned is that you need to do it on a wet surface with a dry towel. I clay barred and dried first and I left some swirls of extra product. (they wipe right off so not a big deal, but not ideal either)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Just did the full application on the car today. Looks good, but I don't know if it looks any better than normal. Just got it dry so wasn't going to test the water beading capabilities just yet.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Water beading is exceptional. Did mine last week and we had rain and it fell off. Washed and rewiped this week- incredibly easy. Just got hit w/another storm today and w/the exception of the back end, the car still looks clean.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ok - I have had the chance to do a couple applications now on both the Shelby and my wife's car and I think I found the best technique

1) wash car normally
2) rinse car
3) spray car with ceramic wax
4) VERY LIGHTLY use a fine mist of water to dissolve any "clumps" that form from the spray and to spread around the coating. THIS IS NOT A FULL RINSE
5) wipe dry with microfiber towels

That seems the easiest way to get an even coat.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
967 Posts
My brother and I did the initial application on the Shelby the weekend before Shelbyfest. Glad we did. The car was washed twice that weekend because of the weather. We used all but a quarter of the bottle to do the whole car. It's holding up well so far. How long did you guys wait to do the next application?

I want to do the Raptor now. That will probably require two bottles.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My brother and I did the initial application on the Shelby the weekend before Shelbyfest. Glad we did. The car was washed twice that weekend because of the weather. We used all but a quarter of the bottle to do the whole car. It's holding up well so far. How long did you guys wait to do the next application?

I want to do the Raptor now. That will probably require two bottles.
It was ~6 weeks between applications, but I don't have a garage, so the cars sit outside all the time in all weather.

We are also using very different amounts. I got 4 applications out of 1 bottle with a little left over. Either I am using too little, or you are using too much!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
No way it should take that much for the Shelby. This stuff goes on pretty thin. Be sure to follow all of the directions on the back of the bottle. I made one slight change to the initial application following some online reviews and applied it more like you would a typical ceramic product.

On 1st use

Step 1. Wash car and fully rinse.
Step 2. Dry car.
Step 3. Apply fine mist to micro fiber towel. Spread evenly across panel.
Step 4. Wipe panel clean with dry microfiber towel. Repeat for each panel.

On 2nd use.

Step 1. Wash car.
Step 2. Rinse car.
Step 3. Apply fine mist to car direc
Step 4. Rinse car again
Step 5. Towel dry.

I did my first application to the Shelby awhile ago and reapply every 3 washes or so and still have 1/4 of the bottle left. In total I'll probably get 4 or 5 applications out of one bottle.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
967 Posts
It was ~6 weeks between applications, but I don't have a garage, so the cars sit outside all the time in all weather.

We are also using very different amounts. I got 4 applications out of 1 bottle with a little left over. Either I am using too little, or you are using too much!
My guess is we used too much. 😄 We coated the whole thing including windows and wheels. Looks great though.

·
Super Moderator
5,041 Posts
I applied this to my daily a few weeks back. Followed the directions on the bottle for first time application. Just like Kyle @mavisky spelled out.

I clay barred prior to applying it.

I haven’t since washed the car and done the first “wash/spray” method. The day or two it did rain the beading was incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I too did the windows and wheels and it beads up great and washes most of the brake dust off with a quick spray.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I used the Maguire's ceramic wax recently and applied as a dry application after washing and claying the car. The results are amazing. A little extra work with the dry application but still beats waxing. The beading is crazy, I also put it in the wife's new altima. Pics of the shelby are 2 weeks later after initial application and after sitting in south florida sun and rain. This was the rinse prior to me washing the car and it was very dirty!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,041 Posts
I applied this to my daily a few weeks back. Followed the directions on the bottle for first time application. Just like Kyle @mavisky spelled out.

I clay barred prior to applying it.

I haven’t since washed the car and done the first “wash/spray” method. The day or two it did rain the beading was incredible.

I'm a bit late on my follow up, but I've washed my daily a few times since first application and followed the directions for just spraying it on while the car is wet and washing it off (I use a pressure washer). Results are amazing. So easy to use!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Ended up washing it today and doing the spray as you rinse to maintain. Cant beat this stuff for the price and ease of application!!

·
Super Moderator
5,041 Posts
Ended up washing it today and doing the spray as you rinse to maintain. Cant beat this stuff for the price and ease of application!!

Those shots of the palm trees reflecting off the hood are awesome!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
It looks good, but I’ve watched youtube videos doing durability tests on it and the results aren’t very good. Turtle Wax seal and shine actually lasts a heck of a lot longer and now they’ve come out with their hybrid solutions line which is supposed to be even better. Nothing wrong with the Meguiars if you aren’t a daily driver.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
It looks good, but I’ve watched youtube videos doing durability tests on it and the results aren’t very good. Turtle Wax seal and shine actually lasts a heck of a lot longer and now they’ve come out with their hybrid solutions line which is supposed to be even better. Nothing wrong with the Meguiars if you aren’t a daily driver.

That sounds promising. I'm planning on stripping mine and doing a full machine polish on it followed by an actual ceramic coating once I get the time.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,746 Posts
That sounds promising. I'm planning on stripping mine and doing a full machine polish on it followed by an actual ceramic coating once I get the time.
Same plan here... I spent 3 days polishing the 2020. Under my bright LED garage lights, all the rub marks/scratches from the assembly line process revealed themselves. It took a long time to fix it all, but it’s done and awaiting an opening at the clear bra and ceramic installer at the end of this month.

This will be my first clear bra and ceramic coating.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts

The ceramic wax will last a lot longer if you do a dry application on the first application and then the maintenance washes as normal with the spray as you rinse method. Check out this video..

I daily drive my GT500 and it sits outside always. The results have been nothing short of outstanding and the application is very effortless compared to any wax.

·
Super Moderator
5,041 Posts
The ceramic wax will last a lot longer if you do a dry application on the first application and then the maintenance washes as normal with the spray as you rinse method. Check out this video..

I daily drive my GT500 and it sits outside always. The results have been nothing short of outstanding and the application is very effortless compared to any wax.

X2, except I daily drive something else. Results have been outstanding.

·
Super Moderator
5,041 Posts
Same plan here... I spent 3 days polishing the 2020. Under my bright LED garage lights, all the rub marks/scratches from the assembly line process revealed themselves. It took a long time to fix it all, but it’s done and awaiting an opening at the clear bra and ceramic installer at the end of this month.

This will be my first clear bra and ceramic coating.
You will be amazed with both of those products. (y)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts