Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my car in at Alternative Auto today and when they took off the rear-diff to install the gears they noticed that the dealership had overfilled it when they replaced my rear-clutch pack that went out. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. They didn’t just kind of overfill it either, they did significantly more than they should have… Pathetic. Anyways. Gears are in, no one-piece driveshaft rear safety loop problems with stock suspension from what I could tell. I will be checking it again in a week or so. Mostly to take pictures because I forgot mine =( I wish I would have had it to take a picture of the rear-diff. really pisses me off.

Needless to say I’m ordering oil for the next oil change now and filter now. The dealership will probably never see my car again.

While I’m ranting… Dealership wanted $800 for just labor costs to put in the gears. Alternative Auto cost me $300, and that included everything, the 800 didn’t include everything. I though, “hmm, I wonder what another dealership would charge” so I called two others, one said they’d call me back, other said $500 at the most. WHY would the dealership where I purchased the car for 15,000 over try and screw me as much as they have been? AHHHHHHHHH!

Anyways--- Talked with Lidio here about what else I wanted to do with the Shelby. Pretty sure I’m going with the 3.3L Whipple with him. Now I just need to find a good paintshop in the area to get my hood painted that’s chilling in my room as my headboard :p

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Jameson the rear loop and the two piece drive shaft I know is not an issue as that is what it was designed for. The rear loop has close tolerances with the one piece shaft. That is what I am told by BMR and am curious if this is an issue with stock height suspension, as I believe lowering should give a little more clearance as some of our members have done. Since I am not lowering for some time and will be installing the one piece drive shaft, I am concerned about the rear loop tolerances. Feed back from anyone who has the rear loop from BMR and stock suspension height would be appreciated.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pshh
I have a 3" one piece in :)
going to go to a 3.5" in a few weeks though- will let ya know if the extra .5" makes a difference!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Sorry. I misread your post. Thanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not a problem :)
I will try and post pictures this weekend!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Jameson the rear loop and the two piece drive shaft I know is not an issue as that is what it was designed for. The rear loop has close tolerances with the one piece shaft. That is what I am told by BMR and am curious if this is an issue with stock height suspension, as I believe lowering should give a little more clearance as some of our members have done. Since I am not lowering for some time and will be installing the one piece drive shaft, I am concerned about the rear loop tolerances. Feed back from anyone who has the rear loop from BMR and stock suspension height would be appreciated.
I'm running the 3" MCP steel DS with BMR loops, and measured a 1.5" clearance from shaft to bottom loop support. Stock suspension height.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Had my car in at Alternative Auto today and when they took off the rear-diff to install the gears they noticed that the dealership had overfilled it when they replaced my rear-clutch pack that went out. .
:p
I thought it would be difficult to over-fill a differential; just fill it until it starts running over. Then I started to review my pictures of my car's rear axle when I painted it and could not find the fill-hole. Does anyone know where the differential fill-hole is on the GT500?

Oh, I never trust the dealer to do simple things such as oil changes; they never seem to get it right.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Had my car in at Alternative Auto today and when they took off the rear-diff to install the gears they noticed that the dealership had overfilled it when they replaced my rear-clutch pack that went out. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. :p
Do you have the stock differential cover or the Ford Racing differential cover?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts