Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last August I made a difficult decision to mod my GTR to go FBO. I shipped it to a highly acclaimed GTR/Porsche performance shop. When I got it back I was ok but not thrilled with the changes. it did not seem to have been worth the money I spent to have it modded and also essentially throw away the remainder of my power train warranty in the process. I have been quietly kicking myself for the past 6 months hearing Reptile’s voice in my head using his typical common sense to say just “leave it stock”. I had recently arrived at a decision to trade it off and purchase a GT3 and take a financial beating in the process. I had a car identified and price offer in hand.

As I was mulling over the decision, I was on the GTR forum, the other prominent nationally known GTR expert posts that he is transporting equipment between his Seattle and Conn location and if anybody needs support along the route just send him a PM. Just happened that his route went within 5 miles of my home and he would be passing by in the next 24 hours. We arranged a meeting at my home and he went to work on retuning the car. Within an hour he had it dialed in perfectly or at least it feels that way to me. Now it felt like the investment was worth it. Smooth as silk and it’s pulls harder than before. I did not have him turn up it to full tilt boost but it is still quite capable. I won’t be able to really test it out until the summer tires go back on in the spring.

I called back the Porsche dealer and said I would be keeping my GTR. Needless to say my wife is quite happy that I will not be dropping additional expense on the 911 upgrade. I realize I am still in the honeymoon period but if it continues to run like my first couple of drives I will very happy. I still think there was some intervention from a higher power to have the stars align like that. I plan to visit old friends this year at Shelbyfest and make the fun run. I am pleased that I should be able to keep up with most of you now. The purpose of the story isn’t really about GTR’s or any other car. It is more about getting lucky and having it hopefully all work out.

Hope all is well with everybody. Look forward to seeing you all at Shelbyfest.

Sean

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Glad you were able to find your Happy Place with your car!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,804 Posts
Quite the journey Sean with a successful ending! 🍻

The GTR is a purpose-built machine. Im sure it is a blast to drive.

·
Super Moderator
5,045 Posts
Good stuff, Sean. Glad it all worked out and I appreciate you sharing it. I'm sure you've lost a lot of sleep thinking through and stressing about the situation. That monkey is off your back now -- now go drive it and have fun at Shelbyfest! (y)

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,939 Posts
Sean, I'm so glad you have it sorted out and you're pleased with the result! Nothing worse in the modding world than to pay big bucks for performance and handling mods that don't meet your expectations. I've been there and done that in the past! It was truly fortuitous that this gentleman came along when he did! Big save in the financial department! I love my GT350 in it's stock form and I think it's capabilities exceed my ability to fully utilize them. That's a good thing! The GTR is a fantastic machine in stock form and I raced with one on the track with my 2013 GT500. I was VERY impressed with it's cornering abilities and acceleration out of the corner. I hope I can find another one to play with this summer and see the difference with the GT350. I do tend to preach against too many mods as I have found they oftentimes definitely make a positive performance difference, but can also cause other effected parts to protest, eventually fail, and create new issues to address. It can be a domino effect and you end up spending less time driving and more time addressing new, unexpected results of the previous mods. The cars of the 60's were oftentimes archaic and desperately in need of some beefing up; especially in the suspension and braking department. Now days performance cars are far more capable and able to provide almost race-car-like characteristics right off the showroom floor!
I'm also very happy to hear you're planning to join us all at Shelbyfest this Spring! My heart soars to think you're joining us for the Hermann run! LOL!

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what did the first shop do? Just a tune or something more, like bigger turbos?
Alpha 7 kit from AMS. Stayed with stock turbos but added intercooler, intake, injectors, flex fuel e-85, exhaust and a few other things. Parts are very pricey due to the limited number of cars sold.

it will not be the fastest car around but fast enough for me.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,110 Posts
Estimated gains over stock Sean? Glad you can sleep better at night now. Sure wish you and John could have made SF last year so I could have spent some time getting to know you both better. The trek is just too far for me to do every year, and this year we are making two trips back East for my son’s first child and our first granddaughter!

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Estimated gains over stock Sean? Glad you can sleep better at night now. Sure wish you and John could have made SF last year so I could have spent some time getting to know you both better. The trek is just too far for me to do every year, and this year we are making two trips back East for my son’s first child and our first granddaughter!
Darn Mike. I was hoping you were going to make it again. I might have an extra plane ticket if you wanted to fly in.

when I had it dyno’d back in august it did around 560 on 91 and 650 on e85. I believe these do around 470 awhp stock. It did Not feel like that much of an increase at all when I got it back. Now it feels like those are realistic numbers. The car should run low- mid 10’s at 135 trap speed On full e-85. I didn’t have them tune mine that aggressively so I suspect it is a little slower than that. Plus I usually run a mix of 91 and e-85.

Many guys run them much more aggressively than I do. I didnt want to spend an extra money to build the engine and the transmission. You need to keep the torque on the stock DCT in the GTR to 650 or less. Anymore and it will need to be built. I believe the DCT on the Tremec in the GT500 is a better unit. Not surprising as it is much newer than the GTR transmission.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,804 Posts
Plus I usually run a mix of 91 and e-85.
I’m not an e85 guy Sean, so I don’t know much about it, but I always thought you needed to run one or the other and not a mix. Is this not true?

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m not an e85 guy Sean, so I don’t know much about it, but I always thought you needed to run one or the other and not a mix. Is this not true?
it can take a mix. The sensor measures the amount of ethanol and adjusts the tune. i have done all three. Straight 91, straight e-85 and sometimes where there is both in the tank. They usually tell you to run a tank of premium gas every 3-4 tanks instead of running e-85 continuously as over time e-85 are harder on fuel pumps and clog them up. Especially if you let a car sit idle for a couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Glad it worked out for you Sean!

Look forward to seeing it in person. I’m going to call shotgun if you don’t have a family member with you on the Herman Run.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
It is with our cars, but a true flex fuel vehicle uses a sensor, like Sean mentions, that calculates the percentage of alcohol in the fuel and bases the necessary air/fuel calculations from there. The more sophisticated aftermarket systems can alter timing controls too. Can't say if the GTR has that ability or not. With the change in power between fuels, I'm guessing it probably does. In my Shelby PCM database, there are tables for alcohol, but they're not part of the fuel strategy used in this model and the calibration. Since our Shelby PCMs aren't set up to do that, we have to run one or the other with the appropriate tune.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,110 Posts
Darn Mike. I was hoping you were going to make it again. I might have an extra plane ticket if you wanted to fly in.
I appreciate the very generous offer Sean. Not sure if flying in would even work as we will be in NC mid-April. Time will tell as plans develop.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Check out Magnus if you want to get it fully sorted out.

I've been following Marco since his early days in the DSM world. If I was in Canada they would be the one shop I would trust with basic boltons to a full 2,000hp race build.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I've been following Marco since his early days in the DSM world. If I was in Canada they would be the one shop I would trust with basic boltons to a full 2,000hp race build.

Yeah, he runs a great shop, for Boost, there are few better.

He also has one of the few linked dynos for AWD, had my Boosted Explorer on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts