Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should'nt have ordered the OEM rotors from Ford because my rears are cross drilled and obviously the fronts wont be.

Are there companys that will cross drill a customers rotor for you for a price

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,603 Posts
I would return them if you can. If that isn’t an option, get a new set of smooth rear rotors.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would return them if you can. If that isn’t an option, get a new set of smooth rear rotors.
Tim

that is a viable option too

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I should'nt have ordered the OEM rotors from Ford because my rears are cross drilled and obviously the fronts wont be.

Are there companys that will cross drill a customers rotor for you for a price
What year is your Shelby? If you stay with the smooth oem fronts that you just bought and want smooth oem rotors for the rear for a match, I have the oem rear rotors from my 2008, they were removed with 8.6 miles on them during the Super Snake upgrade......stored in a A/C garage bubble wrapped in a box.

^^^^If that is the direction you choose to go, I am just throwing it out there.....

R

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,315 Posts
What year is your Shelby? If you stay with the smooth oem fronts that you just bought and want smooth oem rotors for the rear for a match, I have the oem rear rotors from my 2008, they were removed with 8.6 miles on them during the Super Snake upgrade......stored in a A/C garage bubble wrapped in a box.

^^^^If that is the direction you choose to go, I am just throwing it out there.....

R
There ya go Don! Robert is only about an 1.5 hr. drive from you! The solid rotors are probably a hair more reliable than slotted or drilled ones. Ford went back to the solid rotors on the 2019 GT350 because of cracking issues.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,396 Posts
There ya go Don! Robert is only about an 1.5 hr. drive from you! The solid rotors are probably a hair more reliable than slotted or drilled ones. Ford went back to the solid rotors on the 2019 GT350 because of cracking issues.
Performance versus reliability and then the improved look of slotted aftermarket rotors have always been at odds with each other as I contemplated getting different rotors for my car. As a result, I've done nothing because I'm not so sure I would just end up spending money for no appreciable difference other than looks.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

R
Robert I appreciate your offer but I have the 14 inch upgrade in the rear

One option I do have is just just get a new rear set of 14 inch rear rotors and had them

but would love to hook robert

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
I generally stay away from drilled and opt for slotted, but only if it's truly a better rotor and not just aesthetics.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Robert is close your right.

Mike, I got the rotors cross drilled and slotted for looks nothing else. Dont track it and I know that cross drilled rotors will eventually crack

Probably will order a set of 14 brakes from Autozone and sell the Saleen rear 14's that are cross drilled and slotted

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Robert I appreciate your offer but I have the 14 inch upgrade in the rear

One option I do have is just just get a new rear set of 14 inch rear rotors and had them

but would love to hook robert
Yes, then you will want to keep that rear upgrade and search either for smooths all the way around or something similar for the front. I just thought I would throw mine out there. They are not valuable, but I hate to throw them away since they are oem Ford spec. rear rotors and as new as new can be for having just under 9 miles on them.

Me personally....... I like either, I have the Baer Drilled/Slotted 15"/14" combination F&R on my 2008. When I finally get around to putting the cash up and not spending on "other things", I am going to buy the same replacements from Baer 15"/14" but smooth. It is going to cost right at $1000 for those 4 Baer rotor surface replacements........that is with no hats. There was an owner on here who had the smooth Baer's and did the 15"/15" but he mentioned "a little grabby" in one of his posts, so I will stay with 15"/14", I have had Very Nice braking with that combination........but now 15" front's are small...... Oh, well......

R

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Performance versus reliability and then the improved look of slotted aftermarket rotors have always been at odds with each other as I contemplated getting different rotors for my car. As a result, I've done nothing because I'm not so sure I would just end up spending money for no appreciable difference other than looks.
To me, no matter what a person buys in rotors, if they get the rusty look that changes "the look" no matter how cool they were when they were new (not rusty). Keeping all non-contact surfaces painted to retain a clean look while also keeping the brake dust down with a good pad goes a long way for the "looks" of a car. The wheels (and the brakes behind) are one of the first attention getters on a cool car, rust is uncool.....

Baer and others have Zinc coated rotors which help retain the cool look.

R

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered a set of rear rotors to match the plain front rotors that i just received
problem solved

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Metallic w/White racing stripes
482 Posts
Why would smooth rotors be a better option then a drilled and or slotted rotor? I though the purpose of drilled and slotted rotors were what made the brakes perform better under extremes performance as they disappeared heat and carbon dust and gasses. I am misinformed? Also who has replaced the rear calipers with something more substantial and did it make any difference other than looks and wallet cleaning out? Curious if this is a smart option to look at. Also some of those black rotors (zinc plated I think) that looks killer instead of rusty silver.

I understand ceramic pads and rotors cut down on brake dust, but is that THE ONLY option for such results?

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,315 Posts
Drilled rotors, and to a lesser extent, slotted rotors, can start to crack at the area of the hole or slot. This anomaly most often occurs during high heat/cooling cycling during road racing. Many professional racing teams used drilled rotors for better heat dissipation. But mind you, unless you are racing on a track you won't experience the high temps that sometimes also lead to cracking. The GT350 had stock drilled rotors on the car until the 2019 model year when they returned to smooth rotors. The new GT500 also has smooth rotors, if I recall correctly. So the Ford engineers decided to go with the less warranty involved smooth rotors.
Although past GT500's used the smaller looking rear caliper/rotor set up, it was capable and did a good job for daily driving experiences. I never felt a need to change them for something different, other than paint them for cosmetic purposes only. As far a ceramic pads go, they do reduce dust deposits on the wheel but also minimally reduce braking efficiency over stock pads. Most folks won't feel the difference unless they are really pushing the car through numerous, heat generating, corners or on the track.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,603 Posts
Why would smooth rotors be a better option then a drilled and or slotted rotor? I though the purpose of drilled and slotted rotors were what made the brakes perform better under extremes performance as they disappeared heat and carbon dust and gasses. I am misinformed? Also who has replaced the rear calipers with something more substantial and did it make any difference other than looks and wallet cleaning out? Curious if this is a smart option to look at. Also some of those black rotors (zinc plated I think) that looks killer instead of rusty silver.

I understand ceramic pads and rotors cut down on brake dust, but is that THE ONLY option for such results?
Mike has good points, but I’ll add: I put drilled/slotted rotors on my 2011 simply because I dig the look. Yes, the theory is the holes allow for better cooling and the slots have assisting channels as well. Holes can lead to cracking with extreme use (think racing), but chamfered holes (beveled edge) came about to reduce this risk I’ve been running drilled/slotted rotors on my 2011 for about 9 years. I have used the brakes hard enough to experience brake fade and I don’t have any rotor cracking. I did have my rotors turned a few years back too... all is well with them.

The 2020 GT500 does have solid rotors. Brake cooling is not a problem with the vented 16.5” front rotors. Ford opted to have solid rotors because they wanted every last bit of rotor surface area for the pads to grab. Reducing surface area with holes and slots actually reduced braking performance from what they saw in testing. The brakes on the 2020 are downright NUTS! If you saw my 2011/2020 comparison video, you saw the stopping distance difference when doing the 100-0 test. It was shockingly different!

I went with ceramic pads on my 2011 because I have chrome rims and the OEM pads blanketed my wheels in dust on every outing. In normal day-to-day driving, the ceramic pads work great... you really don’t notice much difference other than maybe a little extra pedal force than previously... the car stops normally. If you were going to hit a road course track, I’d recommend swapping to non ceramic pads. I saw first hand recently what multiple high performance stops can do to quickly heat up ceramic pads. I all but lost brakes for awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I had to do it over, I would’ve ordered slotted front rotors from a different vendor. But alas I didn’t do that so because I have solid rotors in the front and want the rotors to match, I ordered solid rotors for the rear. The more I think about it, I think what I have on the car the Australian cross drilled two piece rotors Are shot But I’ll put a micrometer on them and see if there are within specs. I will though probably sell the existing rear rotors because I think they’re fine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts