Registered
21 GT500, carbonized grey, Kona Blue stripes, Tech Pack
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2011 GT500
70 Posts
I bought simple one piece lugs from AutoZone. $40 I think. Bulge acorn.

I liked the looks of those spline ones, but when I saw in person the mating surface was smaller so I passed.

Someone will chime in that runs the spline style. They must be ok if they are listed across multiple sites.

·
Registered
363 Posts
impact wrenches and splined lug nuts don't mix over time.
i work at a VW dealer body shop so we see more than our share of cars with them on.
i lost count of the special sockets that cracked and had to be welded up to put them back on.this happens when you use a impact on them several times.
this has happened to me when using a click type torque wrench on them also. i don't know previous uses so it was probably micro cracked before i used it. the crack probably expended when i used it.
on a positive comment about them. they are a theft deterrent. there are several different style of splines so not all sockets fit every one, like a locking lug nut keys.

i don't know what type of lug nuts the new mustangs use. i would assume they are the same type of conical seat ones the older ones use.
my suggestion is to visit a performance catalog source and buy solid chrome plated ones.
i did this to my 08, don't know brand i bought. they look as good as the day i bought them, even after using a impact wrench with a torque stick several hundred times.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,915 Posts
Yeah definitely don’t use an impact wrench on splined nuts.
I’m also searching for a new set for when my Signature wheels arrive. Lots of choices, but finding that right one is almost as hard as picking a wheel design lol. I really don’t want basic lug nuts so the search continues.

·
Premium Member
2011 GT500
70 Posts
Oh dang, my bad. Y'all are talking 2020+.
I will bow out of the conversation gracefully and pay more attention to the years in the future.

J.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Yeah definitely don’t use an impact wrench on splined nuts.
I’m also searching for a new set for when my Signature wheels arrive. Lots of choices, but finding that right one is almost as hard as picking a wheel design lol. I really don’t want basic lug nuts so the search continues.
I'd contact Terrance at Signature Wheels, they have some different size titanium lugs depending on wheels that your running. Another option is Gorilla
Hope this helps..

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,915 Posts
I'd contact Terrance at Signature Wheels, they have some different size titanium lugs depending on wheels that your running. Another option is Gorilla
Hope this helps..
An old thread but I did talk to Terrance and his lug nuts were just a bit too plain looking for my tastes. I ended up going with Raceseng’s titanium lug nuts with floating conical seats.

Reactions: Voodoo GT350

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,915 Posts
Hi Brian, thanks for the intro to Raceseng. They make some amazing product that I shall look into purchasing.
Absolutely! They aren’t cheap, but then again we didn’t buy cheap cars lol

·
Registered
2020 CFTP Black w/ Painted Kona Blue
41 Posts
So along these lines... is there a difference between the lug nuts on the Base vs. CFTP cars? I believe I read the studs are different of course, but any difference in the lug nuts? Need to get some for my Forgeline wheels and want to be sure before ordering something.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,915 Posts
So along these lines... is there a difference between the lug nuts on the Base vs. CFTP cars? I believe I read the studs are different of course, but any difference in the lug nuts? Need to get some for my Forgeline wheels and want to be sure before ordering something.
CFTP cars have longer lug studs. So you’ll need open ended lug nuts or some that are extra deep..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
52,796 Posts
The CFTP studs are longer like Brian said, but the CF wheel hubs are thicker. The lug nuts are the same as far as I know, other than one locking lug nut per wheel comes with the CFTP. If you are swapping to aftermarket wheels with thinner hubs, you will need longer or open lug nuts.

·
Registered
2020 CFTP Black w/ Painted Kona Blue
41 Posts
The CFTP studs are longer like Brian said, but the CF wheel hubs are thicker. The lug nuts are the same as far as I know, other than one locking lug nut per wheel comes with the CFTP. If you are swapping to aftermarket wheels with thinner hubs, you will need longer or open lug nuts.
Roger that! And interestingly enough... as I picked up my CFTP used, there aren't any locking lug nuts on any wheel. DOH!!!!!!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
52,796 Posts
Roger that! And interestingly enough... as I picked up my CFTP used, there aren't any locking lug nuts on any wheel. DOH!!!!!!
They came in a bag in the trunk along with the floor mats, owner’s manual, etc. I removed mine after awhile because I am constantly taking my wheels off and the locking lugs were a nuisance.

Reactions: DSG03COBRA

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
3,271 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,915 Posts
Those look “normal” and are Ti . Id be happy with those. If the people you linked make them I cant find them on the site. Just 3 sets of drag racing wheels.
The ones Terrance makes are also rather “normal” looking.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts