Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any recommendations on a good lug nut socket set that has scuff protection and is deep enough for the 20+ base wheels. The set I have now sits way back in the lug recess, and the extension itself is almost flush. I’m afraid I’m going to take paint off at some point since I can’t stabilize it with my hand like I usually do. I’ve looked at a bunch of the scuff protection sockets online but none look deep enough to really protect the wheel.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,585 Posts
I have one with a nylon shield but it’s a 13/16 standard size, not 20mm metric. The lugs tend to bind up in the socket so I just use it after I’ve broken torque. I’m sure I’ll find a better way but so far I haven’t found anyone who makes a 20mm nylon sleeve deep-well.

Reactions: HVCalTech

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,897 Posts
My wheels have been off/on countless times with this traditional set… zero issues:

Socket set!

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like I’m just being paranoid. The extreme depth of the lug nuts just made me really nervous. I’m used to holding the socket in my hand to keep it from bouncing when the nut comes off. The dealer just zips them off and lets the socket hit everything. They have chipped the hell out of the PVD coating on my F250 doing that, so I’m always super anal taking lugs off.

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,954 Posts
Sounds like I’m just being paranoid. The extreme depth of the lug nuts just made me really nervous. I’m used to holding the socket in my hand to keep it from bouncing when the nut comes off. The dealer just zips them off and lets the socket hit everything. They have chipped the hell out of the PVD coating on my F250 doing that, so I’m always super anal taking lugs off.
You're right to be concerned, I personally break my lug nuts loose using a 1/2" breaker bar and then use a 3/8" socket and impact to take them of at a moderate speed with a socket wrapped in multiple layers of electrical tape to soften any potential impacts.

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right to be concerned, I personally break my lug nuts loose using a 1/2" breaker bar and then use a 3/8" socket and impact to take them of at a moderate speed with a socket wrapped in multiple layers of electrical tape to soften any potential impacts.
The 3/8” socket is a good idea for keeping the extension well away from the painted lug pockets. Never seen lugs as deep as these wheels.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,897 Posts
I zip my lug nuts off with a Dewalt 1/2” impact driver. I put it on setting 3 for removal and setting 2 for installation. It’s quick and works like a champ! Yes, I use a torque wrench when setting 150 ft-lbs after getting the wheels mounted.

Dewalt BIG gun!

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I zip my lug nuts off with a Dewalt 1/2” impact driver. I put it on setting 3 for removal and setting 2 for installation. It’s quick and works like a champ! Yes, I use a torque wrench when setting 150 ft-lbs after getting the wheels mounted.

Dewalt BIG gun!
Exactly what I do. Love my big Dewalt. I had the 120v one and ran into a caliper bracket bolt on my F250 it wouldn’t touch. The 20v gun took it right off. 1200 ft pounds of breaking torque makes quick work of almost anything.

Pneumatic tool Drill Handheld power drill Hammer drill Tool

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,897 Posts
Exactly what I do. Love my big Dewalt. I had the 120v one and ran into a caliper bracket bolt on my F250 it wouldn’t touch. The 20v gun took it right off. 1200 ft pounds of breaking torque makes quick work of almost anything.

View attachment 230703
Awesome gun! Love that thing!

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Im so scarred by years of guys screwing up wheels/lug nuts I will only break them by hand while the car is on the ground. Then use an impact to spin them out. Since no torque is being applied it doesn’t mess the lugs/wheels up.
I HATE when people just loosen the lug with the impact… 🤦‍♂️ It instantly starts to round/damage the lugs.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,897 Posts
Im so scarred by years of guys screwing up wheels/lug nuts I will only break them by hand while the car is on the ground. Then use an impact to spin them out. Since no torque is being applied it doesn’t mess the lugs/wheels up.
I HATE when people just loosen the lug with the impact… 🤦‍♂️ It instantly starts to round/damage the lugs.
I have taken mine off countless times with my Dewalt impact gun. I did it again yesterday... zero issues. I use the highest setting to zip them off. When putting the lug nuts on, I start them by hand and then use the middle setting on the gun to get them on the rest of the way. I use my digital torque wrench to tighten them all when the car is on the ground. I am constantly removing/swapping wheels/tires on the track car.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I have taken mine off countless times with my Dewalt impact gun. I did it again yesterday... zero issues. I use the highest setting to zip them off. When putting the lug nuts on, I start them by hand and then use the middle setting on the gun to get them on the rest of the way. I use my digital torque wrench to tighten them all when the car is on the ground. I am constantly removing/swapping wheels/tires on the track car.
I guarantee I can see cosmetic damage on them. It’s purely cosmetic but it’s there.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,897 Posts
I guarantee I can see cosmetic damage on them. It’s purely cosmetic but it’s there.
On the lug nuts...? I don’t care about that. I have a bunch of them. When they start looking rough, I’ll replace them. I’m more interested in speed since I’ve probably removed my wheels more than any 2020+ owner.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 (Carbonized Gray base w/ technology & Recaro package)
231 Posts
I do the exact same, breaking loose with a breaker bar or torque wrench and then the impact gun. I use the socket below for both

DEWALT 1/2" Drive Impact Socket... DEWALT 1/2" Drive Impact Socket Deep 6 PT 22MM - - Amazon.com

·
Registered
2021 GT500 (Carbonized Gray base w/ technology & Recaro package)
231 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
in my OPINION. TIGHTENING the lugs with a impact wrench causes the most problems to lug nuts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts