Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the people that know me have heard this but here’s a cool story I can share. Around 2016 I decided it was time to try something different in life. This Texas boy wanted to buy a business in Colorado and live in the mountains for a while. I've wanted to experience the mountains going back to when I was a young and my folks would pile us kids into the station wagon and head west for a vacation. So we sold what we could before initiating our move. I was on the fence about selling my 2012 GT- 500 but as I didn't have any kind of garage to store it in for the winter, and was possibly wanting to buy a newer model I decided to sell. Well I called one of those companies that I heard on the radio that were always wanting to buy cars and the price was right. Long story short move forward in time a little I received two recall notices on those airbags and thought the least I could do is try to find and notify the new owner. I did a vin search as I have kept all of my original paper work from my purchase. The internet is a good tool. The car popped up in a southern state east of Texas. It seems a dealership bought it and sold it to a local guy. I was able to get the new owners contact info from the dmv. Called the guy up one day and had a nice conversation with him about the car. Told him my new adventure into Colorado and informed him about the recall airbag notice. I left the conversation with give me the first opportunity if you ever want to sell the car. So, he calls me up one day and we agreed on a price, I bought a one-way airline ticket to buy my car back. The person that bought my car, was a car guy like us here on the forum. His son had just rebuilt a 66 fastback, so they are mustang folks. They took the Shelby around to car shows and things of that nature. When I parted with my car for Colorado it had about 14k miles on it. When I bought it back this past summer it had 25k miles on it. I can honestly say it was a great pleasure meeting these people and fellow car enthusiast. They picked me up from the airport, took me and picked me up from my hotel and introduced me to family. They even showed me around their town. One of the best parts of our meet was that they took me to some really good home cooking restaurants, something I have been missing since my move to mountainville! I have always enjoyed going to car functions and meeting fellow gear heads that share a mutual love of cars and these people may not know it but I really appreciated their hospitality and courtesy. I will be staying in contact with these folks! It was nice to meet good people like them, this is one of the reasons why I got into the hospitality business that I own now, I’ve always enjoyed meeting people from all over and all backgrounds. We have all heard about people tracking down their old car years later in life, even though I was not separated from my car very long I feel very lucky and this will go down as one of my coolest and enjoyment moments. As for the guy that sold me my car back, don’t worry about him, he will be buying one of the newer models!

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Awesome story. Thanks for posting. Definitely some great people out there.(y)

·
Premium Member
6,549 Posts
Very nice!! What part of Colorado are you in?? My father has had a place up above Ouray since the early 80's, so I know that area of Colorado and San Juan and San Miguel counties like the back of my hand.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
How cool is that? Great story. I have a couple cars I wish I could get back.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great story. You need to show some pics of your car before you sold it and now too. Did much change with the car or pretty much as is?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice!! What part of Colorado are you in?? My father has had a place up above Ouray since the early 80's, so I know that area of Colorado and San Juan and San Miguel counties like the back of my hand.
Im in pagosa springs, love driving the wolf creek pass road. No tickets, yet !

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great story. You need to show some pics of your car before you sold it and now too. Did much change with the car or pretty much as is?
Its like they babysit it for me. It was kept in a garage, clean. Like I just parked it last! They did nothing but add a steeda shock tower brace on the front to firm it up. I took it off because I could notice a little difference just driving down the highway back home. I will try it on the track though. I will post some picks some time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts