Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I had been waiting on this moment for a long time. Well, yesterday afternoon I pull off of the exit ramp onto I-75 South and what do you know, two Corvettes (1 Black) (1 Red) following each other were headed South (I assume going to Dayton maybe). I literally think my heart dropped in my drawers. I definitely wasn't going to miss an opportunity. I pull up right in the middle of the two with the Black Corvette in the front and paced just for a little bit. He gave me the eye and I gave him the nod. What do you know he stubbed me and downshifted to 4th and took the hell off without really letting me know we were going to do it. My inner ego said "Dammit!!!!".

I quickly downshifted to 4th and said "Baby, Don't Fail Me Now". Guys I pulled on him so freaking hard that it was crazy and the red corvette just didn't do anything. He stayed behind the entire time and caught up eventually after we slowed down. I pulled up on the black corvette and just drove by him and kept pulling for a little bit just to let him know I was serious (yes, we were racing). All of this was done inside of about a 2 1/2 mile distance. I slowed down and got off on the very next exit and waved at them going by. Talking about one of the best nights I have ever had. Granted it wasn't a ZO6, but I wonder what would have happened if it was. I still think I could have taken the ZO6 but it probably would have been a slightly different race because I do give credit where credit is due.

Love the Shelby Man!:cool:

flip

·
Registered
861 Posts
SWEET, I AM STILL WAITING ON THAT DAY!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I had a little run-in with a Mustang GT a while back. He pulled up next to me at a red light and gave me the typical "nice car" stuff. I didn't think he wanted to race, but when the light turned green, he jumped on it. I was not really expecting this from a GT, so I started out nice and easy. But, not wanting to disappoint the poor GT guy, I smashed down the go-pedal and blew by him like he was standing still. It was kinda funny. I live in a small town, so I see the guy around sometimes. He just gives me a nod and continues on his way.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Guys, I had been waiting on this moment for a long time. Well, yesterday afternoon I pull off of the exit ramp onto I-75 South and what do you know, two Corvettes (1 Black) (1 Red) following each other were headed South (I assume going to Dayton maybe). I literally think my heart dropped in my drawers. I definitely wasn't going to miss an opportunity. I pull up right in the middle of the two with the Black Corvette in the front and paced just for a little bit. He gave me the eye and I gave him the nod. What do you know he stubbed me and downshifted to 4th and took the hell off without really letting me know we were going to do it. My inner ego said "Dammit!!!!".

I quickly downshifted to 4th and said "Baby, Don't Fail Me Now". Guys I pulled on him so freaking hard that it was crazy and the red corvette just didn't do anything. He stayed behind the entire time and caught up eventually after we slowed down. I pulled up on the black corvette and just drove by him and kept pulling for a little bit just to let him know I was serious (yes, we were racing). All of this was done inside of about a 2 1/2 mile distance. I slowed down and got off on the very next exit and waved at them going by. Talking about one of the best nights I have ever had. Granted it wasn't a ZO6, but I wonder what would have happened if it was. I still think I could have taken the ZO6 but it probably would have been a slightly different race because I do give credit were credit is due.

Love the Shelby Man!:cool:

flip

Don't you just love those days.:D :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't you just love those days.:D :D
Oh Yes. I still have this little tingling sensation from it. I almost don't want to believe it but if I ever meet upon these two guys again, he better not say, "I was just playing". What really ticked me off was the fact that when he downshifted, he hauled ass!!!!!

Where is the "common courtesy" to also let me downshift and then we hit it? Guys, I admit again that when he did downshift that it was like a "Holeshot". He pulled pretty hard (a couple of cars), yet I still caught him and drove by. I looked down quickly to make sure the Supercharger was working and it was pegged out. Man, I'm just glad 5.0 was not around at the time becuase I knew it would have been run for your life. Definitely an evening I wont forget in a long time!

Thanks

flipmo

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a little run-in with a Mustang GT a while back. He pulled up next to me at a red light and gave me the typical "nice car" stuff. I didn't think he wanted to race, but when the light turned green, he jumped on it. I was not really expecting this from a GT, so I started out nice and easy. But, not wanting to disappoint the poor GT guy, I smashed down the go-pedal and blew by him like he was standing still. It was kinda funny. I live in a small town, so I see the guy around sometimes. He just gives me a nod and continues on his way.
Hi Prez, so can you say that the two of you "are" or "are not" friends? Probably the latter, Right?

Sweeeeeeet!!!

flip

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Let me preface this with saying that I've done my share of street racing over the years. I don't choose to do it now, but respect the wishes of those that make their own choices as long as they are in complete and total control of their car. So, please don't take offense to the following my friends. It's just a little story about something that happened last night. My point to the story is that although I know I can handle MY car, and I know what frame of mind I'M in, and that I am prepared to drive in a certain manner.....this doesn't mean that the "bogey" has his or her *hit together. If interested, please read on.

So we go to the McDonalds in Gurnee IL last night. Every Friday night is a car show. Some REMARKABLE cars there. A guy in a pristine GTO moved over so I could back in, pop the hood, and pose like everyone else. There was a 2006 Mustang GT there but otherwise I was the only "new" car. Lots of attention to the hood and the dyno readout! Some guy pulls in to the only now vacant stall (next to me) and he's in a spankin new yellow SRT/8 Charger. So, he keeps tossing it in neutral and revving it like he's clutching. What a doof.
He parks, pops the hood and exposes more plastic than a Mercedes E class.
He sets up his little chair in anticipation of the throngs of humanity interested in his car, only to see a tumbleweed pass by....accompanied by the sound of a lone cricket. I take off to show respect to the other fine rides, and Mr Member's Only comes over to my wife (who is standing guard on Christine) and proceeds to tell her that he thought about "one of those, but THIS was the one that won out" (meaning he actually CHOSE the Charger over the GT500. There's a butt for every seat, isn't there?) She engages him, questioning him about his thoughts on the upcoming Challenger and Camaro.
She proceeds to enlighten him about the mods to our car. I show up after making the rounds and he blurts out "wanna run 'em?" Four or five people around us stopped talking and turned heads toward us. I said, "no, I already know how fast mine is" and walked away. Apparently I must have caused him some level of pain with those simple words, as he got in his car and literally squealed the tires out of his slot, around the GTO that's worth twice what his Dodge cost, and continued to do it around the restaurant. Everyone was blown away at what an *sshole this guy was. He could have hurt or killed someone, plus destroyed some timeless rides. He continued this as he headed down the access road to the adjacent mall, and I don't know WHAT he hit...but it was definitely a car. What a bonehead.

IMHO, there's only one place for racing and that's on a track where you have a much worse shot at killing anyone except you and the other person that also signed a release to be there.

Driving any GT500, much less one that's strongly modded, is the equivalent to having a Black Belt. The magic is knowing you accomplished it and that it's there. If you have it, you don't need to show it, except at the appropriate time.

bj

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi BJ and how are you? Man, you are 100% correct with your write-up and yes, the truth is the truth is the truth!!!!. I must say that at first I said, "No, don't do it." Then a little birdie said to me, "Take Them Out!" Then I questioned real quick whether or not they were ZO6s and said only one true way to find out (maybe).

I must say that Corvettes, in the past, have somewhat intimidated me because I never wanted to lose to one. I simply was overwhelmed at the time and knew it was a big opportunity to either win or lose. Luckily, I came out as the "Victor" and hopefully represented the Shelby Cobra Community proudly. It again was simply a big ole overwhelming "Rush".

Great write-up as there is plenty of validity in your comments.

flipmo

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Let me preface this with saying that I've done my share of street racing over the years. I don't choose to do it now, but respect the wishes of those that make their own choices as long as they are in complete and total control of their car. So, please don't take offense to the following my friends. It's just a little story about something that happened last night. My point to the story is that although I know I can handle MY car, and I know what frame of mind I'M in, and that I am prepared to drive in a certain manner.....this doesn't mean that the "bogey" has his or her *hit together. If interested, please read on.

So we go to the McDonalds in Gurnee IL last night. Every Friday night is a car show. Some REMARKABLE cars there. A guy in a pristine GTO moved over so I could back in, pop the hood, and pose like everyone else. There was a 2006 Mustang GT there but otherwise I was the only "new" car. Lots of attention to the hood and the dyno readout! Some guy pulls in to the only now vacant stall (next to me) and he's in a spankin new yellow SRT/8 Charger. So, he keeps tossing it in neutral and revving it like he's clutching. What a doof.
He parks, pops the hood and exposes more plastic than a Mercedes E class.
He sets up his little chair in anticipation of the throngs of humanity interested in his car, only to see a tumbleweed pass by....accompanied by the sound of a lone cricket. I take off to show respect to the other fine rides, and Mr Member's Only comes over to my wife (who is standing guard on Christine) and proceeds to tell her that he thought about "one of those, but THIS was the one that won out" (meaning he actually CHOSE the Charger over the GT500. There's a butt for every seat, isn't there?) She engages him, questioning him about his thoughts on the upcoming Challenger and Camaro.
She proceeds to enlighten him about the mods to our car. I show up after making the rounds and he blurts out "wanna run 'em?" Four or five people around us stopped talking and turned heads toward us. I said, "no, I already know how fast mine is" and walked away. Apparently I must have caused him some level of pain with those simple words, as he got in his car and literally squealed the tires out of his slot, around the GTO that's worth twice what his Dodge cost, and continued to do it around the restaurant. Everyone was blown away at what an *sshole this guy was. He could have hurt or killed someone, plus destroyed some timeless rides. He continued this as he headed down the access road to the adjacent mall, and I don't know WHAT he hit...but it was definitely a car. What a bonehead.

IMHO, there's only one place for racing and that's on a track where you have a much worse shot at killing anyone except you and the other person that also signed a release to be there.

Driving any GT500, much less one that's strongly modded, is the equivalent to having a Black Belt. The magic is knowing you accomplished it and that it's there. If you have it, you don't need to show it, except at the appropriate time.

bj

Well said brother.He didn't put any chips in your hood did he?I hope he didn't hurt anyone.:(

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hey Bj,

I used to own a Martial arts school for several years and I would get guys coming in asking if I could teach them how to kick some A$$. They would proceed to ask me if I ever used my Martial arts on anyone and I said yes, every day I use it. There eyes would get big :eek: and want me to tell them how. I would say I used it to stay calm driving to the studio while people in traffic would cut me off or do something stupid.:cool: Thats not the answer that they were looking for.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
'07---nope no chips. Honestly, he could have wiped out a million dollars worth of cars and possibly killed someone. When we see things like the "burnout exhibition" and the "monster truck" accidents over the past month, it boggles my mind that people still do this in an uncontrolled setting.

SB---Yep....people don't understand that it's about control. I've always told people that it's the difference between response or reaction. If my doctor tells me I'm responding to a medication, that's a good thing. If I'm reacting to it, that's not a good thing. So, the choice is ours.....do we react to something; or respond? The answer truly is from within.

bj

1 - 12 of 12 Posts