Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 Track Pack - Sterling Grey
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to lower my GT500 over the weekend. Wanted something that would get rid of the fender gap especially in the rear since I am running a smaller diameter tire (305/40R18) which is 27.6" tall vs the stock 27.9". Was originally going to go with the Eibach Pro-Kit, as I had them on my previous car and had no complaints. For the 2013-2014 with the performance and track package, the Eibach pro-kit only lowers the car 0.9" according to Eibach's website. I figured that this would not be enough drop for me so I decided to check out the Sportlines. The drop on the front was only a tiny bit more at 1.0" , and the rear slightly more at 1.3" I decided that this was what I wanted to go with. Not really a fan of the red colored springs, but you don't really see them unless you are under the car so not a big deal. Plus this drop was nearly identical to the pro-kit springs that I had installed on my previous 2014 GT.

So Install was fairly straight forward. I had installed the lowering springs on my GT as well so I was already famililar with the process. Hardest part is being careful removing and installing the new springs with a spring compressor tool, which I picked up from Autozone. I also added caster/camber plates for the front since I like to be able to dial everything in. I had originally ordered the maximum motorsports one, but was told by lethal performance that they were backordered at least a few months. I was not going to reuse the stock mounts and then go back and install CC plates in the future, so I looked at other options. I had went with the J & M plates on my GT and had no issues with them, so I decided to go with them again and get the 05-10 GT/07-14 GT500 CC plates from them. I know J & M for the most part is seen as a budget brand, but they do not cheap out on their CC plates, they are solid and do not make any clunking noises and the build quality is excellent. Will explain later.

While I was lowering the car, I wanted to also address the rear suspension with new lower control arms and relocation brackets. I already had an adjustable panhard bar from Whiteline installed on the car so I was good to go there. I ended up going with whiteline adjustable lower control arms and BMR relocation brackets. I had had the whiteline lower control arms on my previous GT so I knew that was a no brainer and went with BMR relocation brackets this time because of the multiple relocation holes compared to Whiteline which just has one hole. Plus that BMR hammertone finish just looks awesome IMO.

One difficulty I ran into was when I was installing the rear LCA's and relocation brackets, wait and torque everything down last. I removed the stock LCA and installed the relocation bracket, and torqued it down before installing the new LCA into it, and could not get the new LCA to fit. Took the relocation bracket off and tried to fit the LCA in and it went in no problem.

After all the parts were installed I just had to check the adjustable panhard bar to correct the shift of the rear axle to the driver's side from lowering. It was mild, but noticeable. My rear tires stick out ever so slightly from the fender so using a long level and my tape measure I was able to get as centered as possible without going to an alignment shop.

After everything was installed it was sunday evening so I was not able to take the car for a test drive. Got home this evening from work and took her out for a short test drive. I was told by other members on here that lowering would decrease the ride quality, but so far, these springs actually seem slightly less stiff than stock. I was actually surprised, especially going with sportlines. There is a bump right when I pull out of my driveway thanks to a water main replacement that my city did on my street a year or two ago, and I remember hitting it with the stock suspension and feeling an unpleasant jarring sensation, especially in sport mode. I can still feel that bump, but it is not as harsh as before. I was really surprised. Did some driving on some backroads near me and everything felt good. No noise from the CC plates, everything felt tight and predictable, kinda like stock but still somehow a bit softer.

Anyways, really happy with the drop as well as the ride quality of these springs. Here are some crappy pics, haven't had a chance to get some good ones as it gets dark here around 6:30.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Line Gas Plumbing valve Valve Electric blue
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For reference this is my car with the stock suspension.
Car Grille Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood
Sky Vehicle registration plate Grille Ecoregion Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Sky
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,247 Posts
Love it. I too lowered my car and am thrilled with the improvements in ride quality and even more happy with the handling.

Reactions: Fuelforfire87

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
37,092 Posts
Fantastic start to finish! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Fuelforfire87

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
1,305 Posts
Looks great! Ours had the Cobrajet lowering springs on it when we bought it. BUT... I hated being concerned about dips, bumps, etc., any which way I would drive the car. We decided it wasn't worth the look, so we had the factory springs put back on. No bottoming out for us anymore! Before having stock springs put back on...
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,247 Posts
By bottoming out do you mean hitting the chin spoiler? That happened to me on stock springs and was really no worse with the 2" drop.

None the less I switched to a Super Snake CF chin spoiler which while much bigger in surface area actually has much more ground clearance.

I would never go back to stock ride height. That goes for every vehicle I own. It's like riding on stilts.

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
35 Posts
Is there a drop you could go with without needing additional parts like an adjustable panhard bar? maybe like half inch?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a drop you could go with without needing additional parts like an adjustable panhard bar? maybe like half inch?
A half an inch drop would likely not require an adjustable panhard bar, especially if you are running stock size width rims (9.5" wide) your axle will however shift a bit towards the drivers side and will not be centered. Given that a good adjustable panhard bar only run you about $150 or so after taxes, and installation is a piece of cake, it's kind of a no brainer to just do it right.

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,482 Posts
By bottoming out do you mean hitting the chin spoiler? That happened to me on stock springs and was really no worse with the 2" drop.

None the less I switched to a Super Snake CF chin spoiler which while much bigger in surface area actually has much more ground clearance.

I would never go back to stock ride height. That goes for every vehicle I own. It's like riding on stilts.
The thing that a lot of people don't realize is that the S197's have a lot of rake front to back in them from the factory. Lowering springs almost always drop the rear more than the front which reduced the impact of how far the front bumper gets close to the ground. If you lower the front 1" and the rear 1.5" then the front splitter may only end up 5/8" closer to the ground or so.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The thing that a lot of people don't realize is that the S197's have a lot of rake front to back in them from the factory. Lowering springs almost always drop the rear more than the front which reduced the impact of how far the front bumper gets close to the ground. If you lower the front 1" and the rear 1.5" then the front splitter may only end up 5/8" closer to the ground or so.
This is somewhat true. The Eibach sportline kit competely took out the rake that the stock springs gave the car. I measured the fender to ground clearance in the front and rear after lowering and they are practically equal. My car didn't come with that lower front splitter that is supposed to come with the 13-14's so I don't have to worry about scraping it. I do miss the appearance of the rake a tiny bit though, But I do love how little fender gap there is now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts