Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

Port TVS or go with new Lower/Upper Combo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Black/Matte - SVTP, SVTPP, Technology Pack, Shaker 1000 - VMP Stage 3
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this topic has been discussed a million times before, but I am at a crossroads and have far too much time on my hands.

I have a 2013 with SVTP and SVTTP. Rather than take a cohesive approach toward modding, I told myself that I wasn’t going to go down the “rabbit hole.”

Long story short, I am trying to decide if a Lower Pulley is worth it at this point given that I have a 2.4 Upper.

My understanding is that I’ll have to bump up to a 2.5 if I want to run the 10# Lower on 93.

At this point I’m thinking that I’d be better off to just get a JLT CAI (only have the Induction Tube) and port the TVS and Elbow.

Thoughts?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,248 Posts
So I know this topic has been discussed a million times before, but I am at a crossroads and have far too much time on my hands.

I have a 2013 with SVTP and SVTTP. Rather than take a cohesive approach toward modding, I told myself that I wasn’t going to go down the “rabbit hole.”

Long story short, I am trying to decide if a Lower Pulley is worth it at this point given that I have a 2.4 Upper.

My understanding is that I’ll have to bump up to a 2.5 if I want to run the 10# Lower on 93.

At this point I’m thinking that I’d be better off to just get a JLT CAI (only have the Induction Tube) and port the TVS and Elbow.

Thoughts?
Your signature states a 2007 GT500 tuned by Justin at VMP, but your car details under your screen name lists the 2013. Is the 13 tuned by Justin? What does VMP recommend regarding this combo on 93?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know its a totally different year and that, but My 2007 had a 2.4 top pulley with 10% innovators west and a dual fan C&R heat ex changer, aluminum driveshaft, steeda intake other mods and supposedly a tune when I bought it. It ran pretty stout with the 2.4. I've since changed the top pulley to a 2.7 it still rocks but doesn't bury the boost gauge ha ha.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,824 Posts
2.4" pulley on a 2.3 TVS is pretty much the limit for pump gas. If you put a 10% lower, you need to increase the upper by the same percentage to keep the blower speed in the same range. ATI's 10% diameter actually is 10%. IW's 10% is actually a larger diameter and works out to about 12%.

Porting the blower is to improve air flow in the higher ranges of operation. However, one of the more drastic mods to the older style bolt-on elbow blowers can really pick up improvements by getting rid of the clearance hump for the EGR, which requires welding the case. If you're going to go that far, you might as well hold out for a VMP 2R. It'll cost more, even used, but you'll be way ahead of the game. I don't believe, you're going to see new Gen 3s any longer. I believe it has been superseded by the 3R. The 2R is on sale for $2,549 for Black Friday.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts

Thoughts?
Grab the R on sale & go with a 2.4, I doubt the stock injector will supply enough fuel, that a discussion you & your tuner need to have.
Sell the Trinity blower to recoup some $$$

My 2 cents worth.

Colin

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
For me, if you're going through the trouble of swapping blowers, go all in on the Whipple setup, but I don't think it's worth it.

The stock blower is fine if you're not wanting to get into fuel mods, so if you just want to play with it, go ahead and port it, grab a throttle body and CAI and call it a day.

Not sure how far you could push the stock blower with a 10% lower and maybe just a boost-a-pump. You're well beyond the efficiency range of the blower, but for the occasional drag race it may be ok...you'd have to do some rotor speed math.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you have an extra 15k in the bank for a new motor? If not, don’t run the 10% lower and 2.4 on pump gas. I researched this to death and decided my money was better spent on other upgrades the car needed. The extra power I wanted could be achieved by adding some race gas in the tank. My car is making 700whp on pump with just the 2.4 and full bolt-ons, a big blower is only worth it if your building the bottom end IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts