Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up the 2008 Pulley for my 2007. Looking at the install process and I am wondering how most members are tackling this mod. From up top or below? If from up top, what components are you guys removing to accomplish this and what type of puller and installer are most using. I know the location of the SC tensioner but where is the auxiliary belt tensioner located? A step by step approach would be most appreciated. I have the torque steps and settings from the Shop Manual.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I did mine with the front end removed while I was changing out the radiator and heatexchanger,The 07 pulleys are much easier to get off than the 08s.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did mine with the front end removed while I was changing out the radiator and heatexchanger,The 07 pulleys are much easier to get off than the 08s.
Yes, can see how that would be an issue as there are no threaded positions for the puller to mount to.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have a pulley puller & installer I can use. Will pay for shipping. Just a one time install and mine is not a good fit. Or can some one recommend a good manufacturer for our application?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Wish I could help,I used a Chrysler dampner puller-It was a real pain even with the access I had,You need a longer bolt to use as an install tool which i didnt have-I know this is probably bad but I got a 2x4 and tapped on the dampner enough for the factory bolt to pull it on completly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Does anyone have a pulley puller & installer I can use. Will pay for shipping. Just a one time install and mine is not a good fit. Or can some one recommend a good manufacturer for our application?
Your local parts store (ie Pep Boys, Autozone, etc) should have one that you can rent for free or next to free. My local store has several different models and all they require is a deposit for the rental.

Stew

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
i have everything you need. i actually used a outboard engine flywheel puller to install...fits perfect. i can send both. Pm your address. I'll be out of town starting thurs, so ic an send it out before then...here's a pic of that puller (right)..

if you go to remove it by your self, you'll want to brace the strapwrech against the frame cross member (removal and install), tranny in gear. that bolt is a PITA to break free, but once it is...easy peasy. installing same way. when torquing your actually stretching the bolt to lock it in...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have everything you need. i actually used a outboard engine flywheel puller to install...fits perfect. i can send both. Pm your address. I'll be out of town starting thurs, so ic an send it out before then...here's a pic of that puller (right)..

if you go to remove it by your self, you'll want to brace the strapwrech against the frame cross member (removal and install), tranny in gear. that bolt is a PITA to break free, but once it is...easy peasy. installing same way. when torquing your actually stretching the bolt to lock it in...
PM sent. Thanks once again milezperhour. If you can't get it out before thursday, no sweat. I am in no rush for this install.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
PM sent. Thanks once again milezperhour. If you can't get it out before thursday, no sweat. I am in no rush for this install.
If you run into any issues with the install, I have the installation tool from Rotunda that's called out in the shop manual. I'd be happy to loan it to you.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Need some advice guys. I am in the process of removing the pulley bolt and thought it could be done with my impact gun. LOL! Since my strap wrench is a tad short, has anyone tried to remove it with the car in gear, ebrake on and rear wheels chocked without using a strap wrench? Before I go searching for the proper strap wrench, thought I would throw this question out there as I believe it should be possible without doing any damage. Have to put the install on hold as a birthday party calls.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Used an impact on mine-The bolt was loaded with heavy black RTV sealant.Might have to lock the car down like you mentioned and use a breaker bar and pipe if you have room.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
has anyone tried to remove it with the car in gear, ebrake on and rear wheels chocked without using a strap wrench?
That's how I did it. But you'll need a proper compressor and air hose.
Crank the tank to its max safe pressure and get after that bolt. It may take a few tries, I was ready to give up when mine finally let go.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's how I did it. But you'll need a proper compressor and air hose.
Crank the tank to its max safe pressure and get after that bolt. It may take a few tries, I was ready to give up when mine finally let go.
WOW! Tried 140 psi and had to go to 180 psi before that puppy budged. Shortend the life of my impact gun for sure. LOL. Lots of black sealant on the bolt and washer. The manual calls for sealant on the Woodruff key slot only, but was wondering if I should apply it to the washer as well, after seating, but before torquing. Any thoughts on that? Having trouble with the install as the stock bolt is just a tad too short and the puller studs will not accomodate an install process. Guess I will call on Rick. Man, dropping the tranny was less stressfull than this upgrade. Well having the right tolls is the key to any job.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Having trouble with the install as the stock bolt is just a tad too short and the puller studs will not accomodate an install process. Guess I will call on Rick.
You'll need a longer than stock bolt! I may still have mine.
Let me know if you're willing to pay the shipping.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You'll need a longer than stock bolt! I may still have mine.
Let me know if you're willing to pay the shipping.
Thanks for the reply. Rick is in the process of shipping me the install tool from Rotunda, which is called for in the shop manual. How aggressive were you with the sealant? The manual only calls for it on the key slot, but there was quite abit of it on the washer as well.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Rick is in the process of shipping me the install tool from Rotunda, which is called for in the shop manual. How aggressive were you with the sealant? The manual only calls for it on the key slot, but there was quite abit of it on the washer as well.
Install tool is on its way. You should get it tomorrow afternoon.

As for sealant, I put on as much as I could. Just slopped it on. A lot of it squeezed out during the install, but I wanted to make sure there were no leaks. So far so good.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Install tool is on its way. You should get it tomorrow afternoon.

As for sealant, I put on as much as I could. Just slopped it on. A lot of it squeezed out during the install, but I wanted to make sure there were no leaks. So far so good.
Thanks Rick, much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts