Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finaly took the car to the track today. First time I've ever run at a track, and obviously the first time with the Shelby. Put up some disapointing numbers too. Best time was 13.1. It was all my 60ft time. I can't get a good launch at all. All of my RTs were bellow .2 but 60s were 2.6-2.9. I just couldn't figure out how to get it to catch. It was either driving on ice, or bogged down. Couldn't find the happy median. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
in order to get that power to the ground you will need to get drag radials. if you get you 60' down to a 1.8 you should be low 12's.

·
Registered
888 Posts
After you put some miles on the tires they will hook up much better.
I hope this is going to become true, but I already have about 2300 miles on them and they don't usually grab. That could be because it has gotten cooler though. Maybe in the spring I will see the difference.

The engine seems to love the cool air!

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
All I get is wheel hop..had it our this weekend was very nice here in Virginia and took it out for 60 mile blast...this time with a radar detector anyhow I stopped a few times on the road about 5 different times and tried different RPM launches and got no where...I take that back I did leave about 10,000 miles of rubber on the road...and had a smile on my face the rest of the afternoon... Steeda has some parts they claim that keeps it from doing the wheel hop.....does anyone else have the same problem ?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I get the wheel hop on occasion, but not every time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I get is wheel hop..had it our this weekend was very nice here in Virginia and took it out for 60 mile blast...this time with a radar detector anyhow I stopped a few times on the road about 5 different times and tried different RPM launches and got no where...I take that back I did leave about 10,000 miles of rubber on the road...and had a smile on my face the rest of the afternoon... Steeda has some parts they claim that keeps it from doing the wheel hop.....does anyone else have the same problem ?
I havn't experienced, or atleast havn't noticed it yet in my GT500. I have noticed it in friends 03, 04 Cobras though with the IRS. It's really bad in there cars and the expensive rear end kit to solve the problem works great, but it takes up lots of space, is complicated, and is expensive. I didn't see one for our cars or for the 05-07 moddels from Steeda on there. I thought it was mostly and IRS problem. But the suspension thing is a hazy world to me. Hope I was of some help.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I have noticed wheel hop as the temperature has gotten a little colder. When I got the car in September I had little or no wheel hop but as the temerpature has dropped the hop is more noticeable.

Have not been on as I am upstate NY for big game season. Did not bring the Shelby but managed to nail a seven point buck and a three hundred pound black bear. Best hunting season in a long time. Our hunting cabin is four for four on buck this year. Must be the year of the Shelby that has given us this round of luck. Do you think the buck would make a good hood ornament if I had Carroll Shelby sign it?:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Steeda does show something in my lastest Mustang magazine that is suppose to fix wheel hop I think it was $ 149.00 or something close to that. I get it all the time if I stand on it in 1st gear... Also this is with the traction control off. Doing some tests the car has more snap with it off than with it on. Not sure what it is doing on but feels like it does not allow full power in 1st.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Steeda does show something in my lastest Mustang magazine that is suppose to fix wheel hop I think it was $ 149.00 or something close to that. I get it all the time if I stand on it in 1st gear... Also this is with the traction control off. Doing some tests the car has more snap with it off than with it on. Not sure what it is doing on but feels like it does not allow full power in 1st.
The TCS definetely holds the car back and I have noticed that outside tempereature and tire pressure are crucial in how the car reacts to wheel hop. The outside temperature was around 47 today and noticed my tire pressure was down to 30 so inflated to 35, per the recommended pressure setting, and was shocked to see that wheel hop was not that noticeable. Could not get it to hook up worth a s?!t but drag radials, gears and rims should solve alot of that problem. Then again these tires were made for the road and not the track.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Using the steeda part sets the drive shaft angle to a -1 than when you torq it the level will or should be at 0 which will take away the wheel hop. At the strip you will not get away with 35 pounds in the tires. I would think start at 25 with these tires to get some grip but without some suspension tweaks wheel hop is bad and can break parts for sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The thing about the stock F1 tires is that there is no noise to clue you into what is going on back there. As I'm sure most of us are aware, aural feedback (tire squeal) is very helpfull in controlling tire spin. Unless you are already aquainted with "feathering" the launch, you're probably frying the tires and not even aware of it. I'd love to try some drag radials or slicks just for fun. Hoosier R6's aren't really for drag racing but when I get them, I'll tell you all about the acceleration as well as the lateral G's!

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Once the Eagles are done I will lean toward Nitto if they make the size we need. I don't want a taller tire I want the exact tire size. I had Nitto on another mustang they were not all season just summer/rain but I want to tell you they were sticky and had a nice sidewall to them. Very happy with Nitto.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Wheel hop, oh yeah. Wasn't really thinking about leaving my tires on the pavement. But was brought to my attention at a friends. He pointed out that my tires are being left behind. Hard to tell without that squeal. 4 K on her now.

Some good info on this thread. Thanks ALL!!!!!!!:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts