Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody, I just dropped in to ask a question or two about the Shelby's... I currently own a 2002 GT( Modified) and I'm starting to get the Urge for something new... Is it still horribly hard to find a Shelby? I havent looked yet or inquired about one , so I thought I'd stop in here and feel it out a little... Maybe find out if I'm wasting my time;) or can actually go buy one:D .... Any help or tips are greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Well, it kinda depends on how much you are willing to spend. 2007 GT500s are available if you are OK with paying a large ADM (e.g. $10K to $20K+ over msrp). Although ADMs are coming down, getting a 2007 close to MSRP is going to be nearly impossible. Those deals have been snapped up. If you're willing to wait for a 2008, you may have better luck getting something with a lower ADM, but start now 'cause they are already going fast.

Just my $0.02.

Good Luck! :D

Edit: Welcome to the board! Lots of great, knowledgeable folks here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jawbreaker,
I just want to reiterate everything the Prez said. I just recently bought my Shelby from a dealer out of state and still had to pay pretty high ADM, but they are coming down. The Motor Trend website has a "Dealer Locator" that will allow you to locate and ulitmatley search the dealer inventory of any Ford dealer. I made a list of all of the dealers in the state of TX that had Shelbys in stock - this did take a while. Unfortuantely, none of them had a Vista Blue coupe available at the time. Once, you get your list and find a car you are interested in, start making offers.

The other option, would be to check out ebay. Bid on a car you like. Dont worry if you dont meet the reserve price - when the dealer gets ready to sell, he will give you a call.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips guys... I'm having a horrible time ATM making up my mind...At first I wanted an 04' Cobra so bad I couldnt stand it... Then I was on to the shelby...But the Cobra is still hanging in the back of my mind too...Tough ordeal... I'm still not sure which way to go, as they both have good and bad things to weigh in on...The Cobra is 390 HP and super easy to get to 450 or soout of , and they are cheaper....But they all are used now and the price you have to pay is damn near what it was when new....As for the Shelby, It has 500 HP, Its brand new, and it to can be modified as well.. However, Its hard to get, Its pretty expensive, And it weighs about 800 pounds more than the Cobra.... Now my guts are all knoted up lol:confused: ....What does one do?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I leased an '04 Cobra before I got my GT500. Believe me, there is no comparison. Regardless of the weight difference, the GT far outperforms the cobra in all categories....and it is much more of a comfortable ride than the cobra.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
and chicks dig Shelbys :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, Well I must say thats the way I'm leaning atm...But every time I get into the search I guess I get sorta discouraged....Not really sure... But every time, That 04 pops back in my mind....For one thing, I'm totally in love with the body style of my car and the 04..And thats probably because I have owned 3 ( 2x 01' GT and my current 02' GT).... I know how I am when it comes to cars and what I want...I'm sure if I actually run across a Shelby configured close to what I want I'll have no trouble pulling the trigger...But getting to that point has been tough so far.... In any case...The fight goes on lol...I'll look around some more tonight on the web...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just noticed there is one In Nashville, TN thats fairly close to my taste. only about 400 miles as I'm in East TN..Its a start...I really wouldnt mind driving 1000 miles If I could get what I'm after lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have another question if you guys dont mind....Has anyone you know of Lowered the Shelby? I've been noticing it suffers from the same 4WD look my car had before lowering springs..Just curious... Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jawbreaker,
I too strugled w/ the 03/04 Cobra Vs Shelby, but decided to go with the Shelby for most of the reasons listed above.

There are several options for lowering a GT500 and hopefully some of the other members will chime in...Several people have lowered their cars with kits designed for the 05-07 Mustang GTs and seem to have pretty good success. Ford Racing will soon release a Handling Kit (similar to the one for the Mustang) specifically for the GT 500 - which will include springs, sway bar, bushings, etc. Several members have also used the Ultimate Handling kit from Evolution which handles the lowering as well as eliminating the wheel hop issues associated with hard acceleration on the GT500s. Evolution also has some "power packs" that significantly increase HP.

You should check them out as that alone might make up your mind....600+HP for $1200:D !

·
Registered
611 Posts
Chiming in here, too. There is absolutely no way to compare the Shelby s197 platform to the Cobras sn95 platforms. They are 2 totally different cars. The Shelby quality is fantastic. Even the paint is top notch. Ford has deffinitely made the improvements it needed to in the quality department. I am very happy with my 01 and went back and forth for over a year about buying the Shelby. No regrets :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds like the Shelby is falling in line with the rest of the Mustang line. At least as far as Modification goes...Which Is a good thing... And you guys are probably right about comparing the Shelby to the Cobra..As far as HP goes, its a non-issue.. Either one seems to be capable of TO MUCH power.. And I've drove a Cobra in that Category...So HP is not really what I'm worried about... The conflict comes in mostly because I LOVE the Cobra Body, Not that I dont like the Shelby, I do....And like I said , Either is capable of 600 HP, and more...The one I drove was all Kenne Bell and was almost uncontrollable...But it was an extreme example.... I think I've almost decided on the Shelby....Just gotta locate one to look at...Or at least smell:D ... Just have to see how it plays out..

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Here you go guys! Good luck!

New
White/blue Shelby GT500 coupe
asking $52,000

New
black/silver Shelby GT
asking $60,000

Chris Phiefer
Lakeshore Ford
244 Melton Road
Chesterton, Indiana
219-787-8600
Tell him Cal sent you.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Here you go guys! Good luck!

New
White/blue Shelby GT500 coupe
asking $52,000

New
black/silver Shelby GT
asking $60,000

Chris Phiefer
Lakeshore Ford
244 Melton Road
Chesterton, Indiana
219-787-8600
Tell him Cal sent you.

Cal is that right?They want more for a Shelby GT than a Shelby GT 500:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Cal is that right?They want more for a Shelby GT than a Shelby GT 500:eek: :eek:
Exactly my reaction when I first saw the post.:confused: I guess it relates to the number of units produced. Correct me if I am wrong but was there not only 1000 units produced of the Shelby GT?

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Yes. That was my reaction too. He gave me the speel about the Shelby GT being more "rare". He said the Shelby GT had about $9,500:eek: worth of Shelby conversion and that they were only asking about $10,000 over that. Those of us who have a GT500 know it is the superior car. From the collector side, who knows?

I didn't feel like arguing with him about it, but I feel the $52,000 for the GT500 was a pretty good price. He did say that they are willing to negotiate from there. For the guys who are looking, Make an offer.

These are the same guys who wanted $25,000 over MSRP last fall:mad: . I was on their list in Oct. 05. Needless to say, I bought elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Exactly my reaction when I first saw the post.:confused: I guess it relates to the number of units produced. Correct me if I am wrong but was there not only 1000 units produced of the Shelby GT?
6,000 if my memory serves me right.

1,000 for the Shelby GT500 KR.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes. That was my reaction too. He gave me the speel about the Shelby GT being more "rare". He said the Shelby GT had about $9,500:eek: worth of Shelby conversion and that they were only asking about $10,000 over that. Those of us who have a GT500 know it is the superior car. From the collector side, who knows?

I didn't feel like arguing with him about it, but I feel the $52,000 for the GT500 was a pretty good price. He did say that they are willing to negotiate from there. For the guys who are looking, Make an offer.

These are the same guys who wanted $25,000 over MSRP last fall:mad: . I was on their list in Oct. 05. Needless to say, I bought elsewhere.
Well, as usual it's not as good as it sounds in the beginning.
I called them and the GT500 is over $ 59,000; they have refused an offer of $ 55,000.............

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Well, as usual it's not as good as it sounds in the beginning.
I called them and the GT500 is over $ 59,000; they have refused an offer of $ 55,000.............
If you talked to Chris Pheifer, He obviously gave me inaccurate info.:mad:

I will be stopping in there Fri. or Sat. to talk to him in person.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but of course, this is not the first time I've been been mislead by a dealership.:mad:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts